• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

The Search

Indietalk member Effectsworks worked with us on this one, creating the many unique sound effects heard throughout the film. It's a short demo film we made to build experience in the new system.

Upvote 4
Lol, I actually saw that movie in the theater when I was a kid. I can only imagine what it was like for this director, when they first realized that they could make 20 million dollars with some transparent fishing line. They should have let me reboot Tron, or at least edit down the reboot they made.

That was cool! Those drones reminded of OBLIVION, which I really like. Loved that music, too.
Thanks! Funny think is that I watched that movie about a week before I started making this one, and I'm sure it's what gave me the idea for using a drone as a main character. I like that movie also, it's kind of an underrated scifi gem, like Micheal Bay's "The Island". I know, it's against the law to enjoy a Micheal Bay film, but I'll double down and say that "Pain and Gain" was also good in it's way. In fairness, all of his other films were uniformly terrible.

I like that movie also, it's kind of an underrated scifi gem, like Micheal Bay's "The Island". I know, it's against the law to enjoy a Micheal Bay film

Yes, OBLIVION is underrated. I really like THE ISLAND. I was looking at that whole clone society that they created for this thinking, "This is really good!" It was basically a remake of THE CLONUS HORROR, which creeped me out, back in the day. I do like the first TRANSFORMERS movie, which Bay directed. I had some fun with THE ROCK and ARMAGEDDON. He produces the QUIET PLACE movies, so he has some bright spots.

I'm a sci-fi geek, so I imagine that you and I like a lot of the same movies. I like a lot of them that other people pan. For example, I love SUPERNOVA. Beautiful to look at, and James Spader was the most bad-ass I had ever seen him be.

I'll have to go back and watch Supernova again, I haven't seen it in so long I've forgotten what it's about.

Secondarily. I have a question. It's about the video section at large, not this one post, but the entire section.

Why do people click on a video post, typically containing only the video, and then not watch the video? I go to the video section and look at a post, that post has 500 views, then I go to youtube and check the view count. 35 views. What do you think is happening here? Are people clicking on a video link, looking at the thumbnail, and then immediately backing out, or what? It's not just my videos, it's all the videos that are like that.

I'll have to go back and watch Supernova again, I haven't seen it in so long I've forgotten what it's about.

Secondarily. I have a question. It's about the video section at large, not this one post, but the entire section.

Why do people click on a video post, typically containing only the video, and then not watch the video? I go to the video section and look at a post, that post has 500 views, then I go to youtube and check the view count. 35 views. What do you think is happening here? Are people clicking on a video link, looking at the thumbnail, and then immediately backing out, or what? It's not just my videos, it's all the videos that are like that.
probably programs that are accessing the page for search engine, etc and stuff. bots driving up view count on page but dont need to watch

Yes, OBLIVION is underrated. I really like THE ISLAND. I was looking at that whole clone society that they created for this thinking, "This is really good!" It was basically a remake of THE CLONUS HORROR, which creeped me out, back in the day. I do like the first TRANSFORMERS movie, which Bay directed. I had some fun with THE ROCK and ARMAGEDDON. He produces the QUIET PLACE movies, so he has some bright spots.

I'm a sci-fi geek, so I imagine that you and I like a lot of the same movies. I like a lot of them that other people pan. For example, I love SUPERNOVA. Beautiful to look at, and James Spader was the most bad-ass I had ever seen him be.
I finally did go back and watch Supernova again. It was pretty cool, the visuals were great for the time, and Spader was in top form, but the main bad guy kind of ruined it for me. He just looked and acted like any interchangeable frat guy from my home town. For the last third of the film I kept expecting him to start drinking protein shakes and quoting Joe Rogan. Instead though, he just kept sneering and acting overtly evil, until the big reveal that he was actually the bad guy, lol. I liked a lot of the sci fi elements, but I feel like Event Horizon was a much better version of this. Even that is a 7/10 film, but I always liked it. What did you think of Event Horizon?

I also have mixed feelings about The Expanse, it's one of the best sci fi series out today, but I'm kind of lukewarm about it, despite having watched the whole thing twice.

I finally did go back and watch Supernova again. It was pretty cool, the visuals were great for the time, and Spader was in top form, but the main bad guy kind of ruined it for me. He just looked and acted like any interchangeable frat guy from my home town

Considering the contrast to his laid back persona in the TWILIGHT movies, as the blonde vampire dad, I thought Peter Facinelli was was fairly menacing in SUPERNOVA.

Facinelli.jpg
Facinelli2.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like SUPERNOVA, but I really do.

I feel like Event Horizon was a much better version of this. Even that is a 7/10 film, but I always liked it. What did you think of Event Horizon?

There are parts that I like, but I'm not into the supernatural, demons from hell, genre combined with a sci-fi movie. Except for the video of the previous crew losing it, I didn't care for the kind of horror that EVENT HORIZON was throwing out, such as the little kid. It seemed too contrived, and could have been a much better offering. I saw it in the theater and was just okay with it. I watched it again, a few months ago, to see if I still felt that way. I did.

A movie that I watch over and over is OUTLANDER. The monster could be a bit better, but I absolutely love that movie. It borrowed from the ending of THE HIDDEN, which I also love.

I've always liked monsters and spaceships, in a STAR TREK original series type of way.

I like your work, Nate North, and I hope you continue to post demos. You're one of the luckiest persons around - you like your job.

Who composed the music?

I think you should direct the Batteries Not Included reboot! (That's a compliment, cool stuff.)

One of those great guilty pleasure movies.

I also have mixed feelings about The Expanse, it's one of the best sci fi series out today, but I'm kind of lukewarm about it, despite having watched the whole thing twice.

When I first heard about "The Expanse" I was expecting something a little more leisurely. They just keep moving from crisis to crisis, I never get to take a breath.

If it's longer than two or three minutes about half will back out. How long does someone have to watch for a "view" to register? If the piece is five minutes and I click out at 30 seconds is that a "view?" I've done that a lot.

Last, but not least... Nice work. I know it's just for practice, but I kept waiting for the story to get rolling, and there were enough teases to keep me interested.

Considering the contrast to his laid back persona in the TWILIGHT movies, as the blonde vampire dad, I thought Peter Facinelli was was fairly menacing in SUPERNOVA.

Facinelli.jpg
Facinelli2.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like SUPERNOVA, but I really do.

There are parts that I like, but I'm not into the supernatural, demons from hell, genre combined with a sci-fi movie. Except for the video of the previous crew losing it, I didn't care for the kind of horror that EVENT HORIZON was throwing out, such as the little kid. It seemed too contrived, and could have been a much better offering. I saw it in the theater and was just okay with it. I watched it again, a few months ago, to see if I still felt that way. I did.

A movie that I watch over and over is OUTLANDER. The monster could be a bit better, but I absolutely love that movie. It borrowed from the ending of THE HIDDEN, which I also love.

I've always liked monsters and spaceships, in a STAR TREK original series type of way.
I do like Outlander. And I'd say as an adult I've pretty much outgrown fantasy elements. Because of SP's divergent genre storylines, I'll likely find people that are still enthusiastic about it to direct those sections. I would add though that there are different breeds of fantasy writing, and I thought GOT was a masterpiece of sorts. Event Horizon was more like the writing in Doom, but ludicrous plot aside, I did enjoy it's sci fi art direction a lot. I felt like there was some excellent 3d design and compositing work there.

I think Outlander's strength was being character and story driven, with sci fi used as a setting rather than the core of the entertainment. Also hiring Sean Connery was a good move for people that could afford it.

I basically watch all movies that are released, partly as entertainment, partly as research and zietgiest awareness maintenence, but I never watched Twilight. It was a conscious decision, lol.

Last edited:
I like your work, Nate North, and I hope you continue to post demos. You're one of the luckiest persons around - you like your job.

Who composed the music?
Thanks, I work hard trying to solve the same big puzzle as everyone else. I don't think my luck has been very good this decade, but that's another story. I do enjoy my work, and it is cool to be in constant pursuit of an interesting vision.

The composer we used for this one is named Hampus Nasailius, and he does a variety of good work. We have another composer we use named Jo Wandrini, who is also exceptionally talented.

One of those great guilty pleasure movies.

When I first heard about "The Expanse" I was expecting something a little more leisurely. They just keep moving from crisis to crisis, I never get to take a breath.

If it's longer than two or three minutes about half will back out. How long does someone have to watch for a "view" to register? If the piece is five minutes and I click out at 30 seconds is that a "view?" I've done that a lot.

Last, but not least... Nice work. I know it's just for practice, but I kept waiting for the story to get rolling, and there were enough teases to keep me interested.
The Expanse is a mixed bag for me. I do watch the show, and it has a lot going for it. I do feel like it's a bit uneven as you say, and fails to paint life in the broader strokes illustrated by Star Trek and the like. I think any type of series should have at least some sense of humor, that's an example of something that the Expanse is missing.

30 seconds is the trigger time for a YT view these days.

Thanks for the review, it's hard right now to do much real story work, as the main character technology is still in development. It's the last piece of the puzzle, and more complicated than virtually anything else. That said, we got the first speaking main character up on screen this week, so it won't be too long before you see talking characters advancing plots in these demos. Anyway, glad you liked it, we are working hard on the infrastructure stuff to do something of this scope. In this film, my goals were basically, make a jungle, make light beams visible in the air, build a cave, etc.

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the foley work, since sound is your area. Rob is a new guy that just joined us, and I think he did a fantastic job on his first demo.

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the foley work, since sound is your area. Rob is a new guy that just joined us, and I think he did a fantastic job on his first demo.
In case you missed it, my studio was flooded out last September and I am out of business. I have also very suddenly developed serious hearing issues (I go for an MRI next month.) So, I don't have a decent studio to review sound, and my hearing is currently distorted, so I can't comment on something I can't hear.

Back