• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

THE ONE DOLLAR MOVIE

The promo was pretty good and clever ending. As for what you are trying to do..........

"No buck for you!"

But best of luck, it will be funny if you are able to raise a bunch of cash this way.

I did not like the vid but I did like the message and I'm sure I got a diff message than what you were trying for.
Why were people singing the dollars?

I don't use the dollars as money.
Read the F.A.Q. on the youtube channel profile
This is not begging for money or fraud.
It's just asking for hope from random people.
You have to sign the dollar. Put your name on it and show that you believe in the project even if you don't know what the project is about.
Just believe in other people

So...you're "not using" the dollars... what ARE you doing with them after you receive them and document them etc?

As a law enforcement officer I view your plight to trust in people again as a strong and just cause, however, as a law enforcement officer I understand just because you trust someone does not mean they are infact trustworthy.

The dollars are "symbols" a proof that you believe in THE ONE DOLLAR MOVIE.
Again ... read the F.A.Q. :)
A man comes to you asking for hope. You show your hope giving one dollar bill, which is something that everybody has but nobody would give away for nothing. He's offering IMDB credits as Executive producer for the project, but you don't know what the project is about....
what would you do ?
would you believe him? Some people believe him and give him their dollars. Some other people are scared that this guy can do something wrong with their dollars ( examples of what you can do wrong with a dollar bill are welcome ).

If you don't believe it's ok... if you believe it's ok...
THE ONE DOLLAR MOVIE is not for everybody.

more questions are more than welcome !

Whether your project takes off or not, I believe crowd funding is the future, so I salute your initiative.

From a semi-established director with a track record, it isn't unthinkable to raise millions this way. 10 bucks a piece from 100,000 people? Why not?

Ah, virtual busking...

I actually thought you were going to make a movie for ONE dollar. My curiosity asked "well, what's he gonna spend $1 on?"...

I've seen a lot of crowd-sourced projects come... and always go... but you need pioneers, so keep truckin'. If it works, great... but I think the effort would be better spent on tooling the project for $0.

As a law enforcement officer I view your plight to trust in people again as a strong and just cause, however, as a law enforcement officer I understand just because you trust someone does not mean they are infact trustworthy.

Tha jaded cop tells the world "trust no one"... LOL

As a fellow filmmaker I feel your message should be in the promo,
not the FAQ. You made a promotional piece that doesn’t tell us
what you are doing.

I get the impression from your answers here (“read the FAQ”) that
it was never the intention of your promotional piece to tell the viewer
what you are trying to do.

That makes me wonder, “why?”

I see no problem not telling the viewer what the project is about, I
don’t understand why your promotional piece doesn’t tell the viewer
what you are promoting. No way did I understand what you tell us
here or what is in the FAQ from that piece.

To be honest, I won’t give a dollar because I don’t think you have created
a promotional piece that can stand on it’s own without me reaing the FAQ.
Whether your project takes off or not, I believe crowd funding is the future, so I salute your initiative.
I hope you’re right. But I can’t see it.

Right now people don’t want to pay for a finished product. I just don’t
see people paying for some movie that hasn’t even been made yet.

But I hope I’m wrong and crowd funding works.
From a semi-established director with a track record, it isn't unthinkable to raise millions this way. 10 bucks a piece from 100,000 people? Why not?
How many movies have you donated to, PositiveFuture?

OP,

I'm on your side bud. I have a dollar here with my signature on it. You'll have to trust me on that. :lol:

I hope you’re right. But I can’t see it.

Right now people don’t want to pay for a finished product. I just don’t
see people paying for some movie that hasn’t even been made yet.

Sure, out of every crowd funding initiative that starts, only 1 in 20 or 50 might succeed. But that's still better odds than 0 out of 50.

How many movies have you donated to, PositiveFuture?

None, and? :hmm: :)

I never said this new era would be easy. We've traded the tyranny of a few faceless suits in a room deciding the fate of movies for the tyranny of an indifferent public. So it's out of the prison into the jungle. The majority of movie makers are screwed either way, but at least now there's a kind of democracy about it. :cool:

The way I see it getting done is you raise enough money to make a third of, or half the film, or make an unprocessed rough cut, show that- and then raise more in progressive rounds. As no movie I make for the next few years will cost more than 10,000 Euros I don't have the headache of raising a lot of cash.

Last edited:
None, and?
And...

I'm curious. Not really a bad thing in a discussion, is it?

I read from and speak to a lot of movie makers who ask
the question you asked, "10 bucks a piece from 100,000
people? Why not?" I'm always curious if the movie maker
has ever been one of the 100,000. It seems to me movie
makers want people to give them money but never give
money to movie makers they don't know.

Please don't take my question as anything more than
interest and curiosity.

No worries... I was rewatching Reservoir Dogs so the banter rubbed off.

reservoir-dogs.jpg

The answer is none. Yep, you're right about that. Everyone wants money and not many people
give it out. It's one of those things that seem great in theory but difficult as hell in practice.
Yep it's a great topic. I see movies in general becoming a lot more collaborative in the future.

As a bunch of intelligent movie makers we should be able to come up with innovative funding models. I think people are wary of giving money to some Joe who's got no record and just an idea. But if you funded 60 per cent yourself, then stuck it online and said: "We need 30,000 Euros to pay for audio processing, 2 CGI scenes and a 5 day shoot in Laos," then I think you'd be a LOT more successful. People could see you were well on the way to completing the project. Maybe you'd get half the money...

Another idea would be to team up with an equipment manufacturer, or any company. "A dollar from every mp3 player sold this month goes towards the production cost of Movie X."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing

This list of buzzwords from the Wikipedia page on crowdsourcing has a lot of possibilities.

Citizen science
Clickworkers
Co-creation
Collective intelligence
Collaborative innovation network
Configuration system
Crowdcasting
Crowd funding
Distributed Computing
Distributed thinking
Human Computation
Know-How Trading
List of crowdsourcing projects
The Long Tail
Mass Collaboration
Mass Customization
Micro-revenue
Open Innovation
Problem Solving
Social collaboration
Social commerce
Toolkits for User Innovation
Tuangou
Virtual volunteering
Wikinomics
Wisdom of Crowds

Last edited:
Another idea would be to team up with an equipment manufacturer, or any company.

Personally, I feel that the 'donated dollar deal' is no longer an innovative angle. However, I would agree that approaching companies which produce something you need for your production, to be far more rewarding, and I speak from experience. You do need to provide clever cover letters as well as something akin to a feasible business plan, and the promise of credit. You'd be surprised at some of the responses you'll receive...back in the day, I got a product haul from 3M. Key here is to find the appropriate personnel to approach, be professional and courteous, and don't whine if they can't contribute~you never know what can happen with this same company in the future.

I think it can be difficult enough to get people to watch an independent film for free unless they have some incentive, let alone spend a measly dollar or $10 or $20 even to see it, or see it made.

Firstly, apologies for not linking this post with a quote - I pictured my reply becoming crammed as i tried to answer each point.

I think we've skipped a key aspect, modernization. We are in the era of the masses, and the impatient, and the forced behavior of no longer having to wait, and really appreciating something you've worked your ass off for, that luxury is in few. Equipment prices will drop, the manufactures will progress in their finds - greater advanced, bidding against one another by lowering their prices, to where your entire crew will be equipped for pocket holdings of what we now know as a micro-budget. How often do we see yesterdays technology with '50% off' priced tagged shamelessly across it's front?

I am in no way diminishing the value of intelligence, or ready and willing to live alike a caveman in some adolescent revolt against change, initiative should be prized, but it's great, our struggles as film-makers, if going by what the last ten years have suggested (Bare in mind, no quotation of ten years passage and no visible change in struggle of eras before the previous boom in modernization will not apply, the present day is light years beyond) should become easier?

If i was American, I'd give you a dollar, pound sterling?

Sure, it might not be innovative but I'm sure it'll work for some people for decades to come.

*Work* is a very relative concept in terms of a film's success. If you mean someone, somewhere will secure some other peeps dollas for a production...probably. I would seriously like to see................a successful example of a project which subsidized it's production through dollar donations WITHOUT some sort of fiscal sponsorship or through it's(project) own legal, non-profit status.

EDIT: Okay, I actually took the time to go to your youtube channel, watch the teaser, and read the FAQ. I have to admit that I like the execution of the teaser. I like your concept, but I believe it's better suited as a social experiment rather than any particular film genre. I also think you should try to get funding through a humanities agency. ...wait a sec, I guess that would be contradictory to your project's philosophy. :) Good luck with it!

Last edited:
You guys are amazing.
Thank you very much for giving attention to the project and writing on the thread.

I agree that the videos don't explain everything about the project.
They are actually made to stimulate curiosity.
If you feel like this can be something interesting, you can spend a couple of minutes to know more about the project just reading the F.A.Q. or asking questions :)

As I said before THE ONE DOLLAR MOVIE is not for everybody. Only people that really understand it and feel it want to be part of it.

I"m not asking everybody to believe in this as I'm not asking everybody to be part of it. I don't get upset if somebody gives me negative feedback or think that the project is stupid etc...

I send a message... whoever is able to get the message and agree with the message, will be a "producer".
The others are just people who are not interested in the project and there is nothing wrong with that.
Whoever is interested in giving his hope can contact me in private.

Remember... I'm not collecting money to produce a movie.... I'm collecting people hopes. The concept is completely different from a "Money donation" which is something that thousands people already did in the history of indie cinema.

I really appreciate your sincere comments.
Thank you very much guys

Back