• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace

If anyone knows any reason why this commercial should not be submitted...

Here's the 'final' version of my superbowl commercial! All color correction/fx have been done.

Please, please let me know if/how I can tweak anything to make it better. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhM8SOTx74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhM8SOTx74

Thanks to everyone for your input so far, it's been super helpful :D

I love what you did at the beginning with the blue light and red sleeves to match the pepsi can.

as for suggestions:

this is subjective, do u want a drinking sound in there at the beginning when she drinks which slowly fades away as the dream ripple comes in?

the music ends a bit abruptly, is it possible to change the last few notes that signal finality or perhaps a fade?

and submit away!

Solid.

Just me, but I would put a big fat logo for at least 2-3 seconds at the end. This is, after all, a promo.

Promos always put a big logo square in the center of the screen because the ad agencies know that people who record TV shows usually fast-forward through the commercials so if you put a big logo in the center of the screen for at least 5 seconds, they will still see what the commercial is for and the logo of the product.

Don't know if they care about it for this contest, though.

And,

just a tiny tweak if you have the coverage (the ad is already perfect but just something I'd do)

You've already established the girl with a good close-up in the beginning.

I'd cut to a close-up for at least 1 second (maybe 2) as he's kissing her hand so you get a good image of him - thus you're more familiar with him.

I don't really see his face for any substantial amount of time close up until the end when he puts the hat on, and by then the ad is all but over. Maybe switch to a close-up of him kissing her hand so you get a better look at him in the beginning of the sequence?

Just a thought :)

But look at it this way:

Sound is 50% of the movie. Pictures are 50% of the movie. So, with our combined advice, we should each get 50% of the prize money. Right?

Monsignor Finley would be more than happy to comply with your
request. As a true actor, he understands that his fans are
truly a link to both his famous, and yes, sometimes infamous successes.
Although, I should warn you, this man is a Doctor. So, therefore,
he is quite the illegible man. All forgeries will be prosecuted under
the penalty of paranomasiacal wit.

Did you try to a layer of S8 over it? (Might be too "dirty", I'm not sure.)

The music seems early in as does the film framing.

Doesn't matter much, but I wonder how a fade to white on the transition would look.

Everything else has been sugessted that I see:

Fridge side.

Iris out on the cans.

The logo.

Nice job over all.

-Thanks-

this is subjective, do u want a drinking sound in there at the beginning when she drinks which slowly fades away as the dream ripple comes in?
I would love a drinking sound in there, alas I can't use anything but provided sound clips unless I make them myself. I'm open to trying to foley it. What would make a good slurping/drinking sound?

the music ends a bit abruptly, is it possible to change the last few notes that signal finality or perhaps a fade?

This is something else that was bothering me, and I was wondering if anyone would notice. I'm horrid at cutting music so I've been unsuccessful in trying to make the beginning and ending of a 2+minute song cut into 30 seconds :(

I'm pretty sure it's good enough considering that commercials go by so fast. Maybe it leaves you wanting more?
*shrug*

Solid.

Just me, but I would put a big fat logo for at least 2-3 seconds at the end. This is, after all, a promo.

2-3 seconds?! I'd be lucky if I could cut one frame from this to put a logo in. Luckily it's a superbowl commercial, people don't tend to fast forward through those :) Plus the contest isn't judged by any advertising team, it's all based on votes and then the admeter rating when they air the finalists during the superbowl.

the ad is already perfect

You've already established the girl with a good close-up in the beginning.
I'd cut to a close-up for at least 1 second (maybe 2) as he's kissing her hand so you get a good image of him - thus you're more familiar with him.
This is a good idea. I'll have a look and see if I can close up without the image getting pixelated. If not, it's no big deal, the commercial always has been a bit more about the girl (if you read the original script, he was barely in it at all).

Lol. Nice work.
Thankyou, kindly :D

Did you try to a layer of S8 over it? (Might be too "dirty", I'm not sure.)
Nah, I just used a little bit of grain, the strobe plugin to just barely get the projector flicker look, and then a mask to get a slight vignette. In the end I decided adding some shake would be too much (plus I couldn't find a plugin to make it look right)

The music seems early in as does the film framing.
I'm having a hard time getting this just right. I do want a bit of overlap with the effect, and it's also needed to cover up ugly edges when the top layer starts to ripple. Idk, I'll keep playing with it.

Fridge side.
Masking that out should be simple right? I'm having a bitch of a time :(
Iris out on the cans.
Gonna try this.
Nice job over all.
-Thanks-
No, Thank you!

I think it's adorable!
Marvelous.
Its very sweet, makes me happy. Thats good music, do you have rights etc?
THANKS!!

The music is provided by the comp and you have to use theirs. They have maybe 30 or so tunes (some good, some not, depending on what you're doing). I actually found just listening going through the music on the site inspired a few ideas. But I've decided to limit myself to two submissions, 1 pepsi, 1 doritos.

if it matters, if you care.. you could remove the few people walking in the background very easily.

Very easily? Do tell...

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone! Keep it coming!

IF you want to try the s8 layer it's on Video Copilot in the film look tutorial DL's.

(Just a mov file or something that you drop in and find a nice "output layer"? (Add , Screen, Overlay etc I forget what that is called at the moment.) for it.

-Thanks-

I would love a drinking sound in there, alas I can't use anything but provided sound clips unless I make them myself. I'm open to trying to foley it. What would make a good slurping/drinking sound?

This is something else that was bothering me, and I was wondering if anyone would notice. I'm horrid at cutting music so I've been unsuccessful in trying to make the beginning and ending of a 2+minute song cut into 30 seconds :(

I'm pretty sure it's good enough considering that commercials go by so fast. Maybe it leaves you wanting more?
*shrug*

!

I cant believe they didnt provide you with a drinking sound in there. Geniuses!

As you know im not a sound person so hopefully someone else will be able to tell you the best and easiest ways to do this.

I just gave my impression as a viewer.

Yeah it was just clip of the can opening and then pouring into a glass. That's the only effect they have available.

For doritos it's one as well, just a crunch of someone eating a chip.

Thanks for checking it out, btw :)

Back