Some action film tips?

Hello,

we're trying to make a small, action film. It will contain some shooting scenes, blood, explosions, etc. First of all, we want to give it possible less amateur look. We want this video to look mature, with effects comparable to some action movies.

Could you give us some tips how to make for example gun shot effects (on the ground and on the trees in a forest) with splinters, fake blood, etc? We suppose that on some hollywood movies it isn't created with a computer, so we need a tutorial. Should we shoot it with actors on the plan or without them and then edit some frames? If you guys can't get what I'm talking about, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llRDxftNAYI#t=0m30s

It's inspirating us. We want to give our film similar look.

Hope you guys know what I'm talking about. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, oddie.

Last edited:
Welcome!

What you are seeing in that example are squibs, compressed air
hits, pyrotechnics and full automatic weapons using full load
blanks. You cannot do that on a low budget and without licensed
people. Even in Europe.

Watch the scene frame by frame. You will see a lot of coverage -
I’m guessing more than 100 different camera set ups. That’s one of
the main things that give an action scene that “look”.

With a lot of work you can do compressed air hits for the bullet
hits on the ground and on the trees and even use compressed air to
shoot blood. You can shoot these separately from the actors and
cut them into the scene and you can ever use this method with
actors in the frame.

It can be done. It won’t be easy and it will take a lot more time
than it would using explosives, but you can do it.

What really “sells” a scene like that is the audio.

My thing isn't action, but if there's anything I've noticed is obviously the fast cuts, and with things like this like mentioned above, fake audio is the first thing that emphasizes amateur work. Check out freediew on youtube, he has a lot of tutorials for amateur action film enthusiasts from camera work to audio to acting.

Also if it isn't obvious, a lot of the camera work reflects the actions and movements of the actors, so when they're being shot, the camera looks like its running away too, keeping in mind the subject still has to be in the shot.

In the end shooting is only 50%, and audio is something that people talk about less, but in my opinion has an even greater effect on one's opinion of a film. I've watched some terribly shot action shots, but the audio was so in tune with the theme of the story that I still loved it, and sent it to my friends (what makes a video go viral), so it comes down to that, if you can get everything to match up, good audio, good shots, you got yourself a good short.

hi guys! I'm the director and oddie is my friend.
Sorry for so late answer but I hadn't got time to write.

Thanks a lot for your answers. I agree that audio is VERY important and I think this makes 95% of amateur videos look.. amateur even if image and effects are ok. The question is HOW to make high quality audio? I'm thinking about voices which have to sound natural - is that possible to do that in a cheap way? Currently I have BEHRINGER C1, could I use it somehow?

And also you're right with the fast cuts. Within 90 seconds in Bad Boys shootout I've counted 63 camera changes :)

As for effects, we'll try first with post-production and maybe then think about doing them "live".

Last edited:
thx for the link, I'll have to think about increasing budget :P

I've just finished my dolly (it's really old school and not similar to other dollies - I didn't know this thing on wheels is called dolly, so I hadn't seen any before I did my own :) )

here you have sample video:
http://sandsky.eu/filmy/dolly-test.mov
( I thing I've overcolored it a bit ;) but its just a preview)

@krisu,
any pictures of the dolly itself. What makes it different\old school? (im looking to DIY my own soon)

Well, as I said I didn't know how the dolly should look like so I just went to the shop without any plan and then came up with kind of small table on wheels. It's made mostly of wood and has small wheels

It's almost ready, last thing to do is to add longer board on top so a tripod can stand on it

2 metres and the dolly cost about 30$

Hey, take it out side.. no seriously... ;)

Try a higher shutter speed. Less motion blur will add some more energy.

Try to follow the 180 degree rule, I bet its hard trying to choreograph the fight and camera, but the way you are all over in the room its hard for me, the viewer, to maintain a sense of scene "space"

Looks like fun!

Back