Should I quit this production?

I agreed to direct a music video for a friend's band (he's the lead guitarist). I am NOT getting paid for this gig. We are supposed to shoot in 3 days. The de facto executive producer of the video is the band's lead singer.

Last week we lost our DP due to a family emergency. As of today, we have a new DP whom I've never met (but who is experienced) but whom I will not meet until I step onto the set this weekend. I can communicate with this new DP via e-mail and phone, but he is very busy with other projects and I may not get an immediate response.

I am uncomfortable with not being able to meet with this new DP ahead of time, and advised the lead singer/producer that we should postpone the shoot until we can be better prepared. She is firmly against doing this.

I spoke with my friend the guitarist and he doesn't care whether we shoot this weekend or later, although he has suggested that maybe we should wait until our crew is more solid. My 1st AD is also supportive of postponing.

The end result is that now there is so much tension between myself and the lead singer/producer that I want to walk off the project, but feel like I can't because I will let people down. I don't like going into a shoot ill-prepared, and am worried that things will all go to hell once we start shooting.

Need some objective advice from my fellow filmmakers, please.

If the D.P. is experienced, are you sure you don't want to at least try to work with them? Are you concerned that you won't have your directorial vision upheld with someone you don't know?

I guess in some ways it's a confidence issue, although you make a valid point. If you don't think you can control a D.P. you don't know, then I'd say don't do it. If you have a strong vision and can communicate that with most people, then I'd say at least try to make it work.

Tension is part of the process. Being uncomfortable comes with the
territory.

Platitudes, I know. But there’s truth in there.

If you truly believe that things will go to hell once you start
shooting and you will not be able to deliver a good product then
you need to ask yourself what is more important; letting people
down this weekend or making a poor music video.

If, on the other hand, it’s nerves and tension, but you know you
can overcome this and still deliver a good final product then the
answer is clear.

If you can postpone with no problems then that answer is pretty
clear. If postponing creates more tension and you won’t be able to
work well the the lead singer if you postpone, then maybe going
forward as planned is your best option.

I have worked with crew I’ve never met before. In a very similar
situation a DP I was very comfortable working with got a gig and
couldn’t shoot the final, key, scene in my movie. He recommended a
guy he knew and I had no choice but to go forward. He was a pro
and it worked out well. There was a lot of tension and I was
really uncomfortable, but it worked out.

Knowing no more than you mention here, I would say that working
well with a busy, experienced DP you don’t know this weekend will
be much easier than working with an upset lead singer/producer in
a couple of weeks. The talent can be more difficult than the crew.

Well said.

Personally I'd stick with it. I think we're just talking about nerves here, and if I'm right you can take that anxiety and put it to good use.

Great advice above.

I would just plan everything to the last detail. Think through every issue that could come up, whether its technical or personal. Then send one email to your new DP detailing everything.

In the email, concisely lay out your ideas and fears to the new DP. Make sure the lines are drawn and everyone knows his/her place.

I'm worried that...
I don't mind how you shoot it but I have very strong ideas for how I want it framed...etc

Sending it in advance allows you both to sleep on potential issues and diffuse them in advance. In my limited film experience, I avoid potential conflicts with cameramen etc using the following method.

First, take the shot I want, exactly how I say it.
Second, give your input on my shot and say what you'd do different.
Third, take some shots exactly how you like, go wild, get as creative as you can, do whatever you like.

I have used/will use this method, time permitting, with everyone on my crew from DP to actors to soundmen. After I've got the exact shot I want, I love hearing other people's input. Maybe you don't have the luxury of enough time to shoot like that, or maybe my advice is old news, I don't know. If the shoot turns out awful you will have learnt a lesson and grown as a director, so do it.

Peace.

Blind hiring is done all the time. Did you see his reel? Does he seem cool? You are good to go. Sometimes you have to adapt and get it done.

Take the job! Worst case scenario, the shoot goes horribly and you do it again later. Best case scenario, the shoot is fantastic and your new DP is the best you've ever worked with you forge a relationship that leads to better and better projects.

Best case scenario, the shoot is fantastic and your new DP is the best you've ever worked with you forge a relationship that leads to better and better projects.

A general point; I often get really nervous before big positive changes in my life and career. Maybe this is one of those times.

If you're not getting paid, why are you doing the gig?
If it's for exposure and experience, why not gain the exposure and experience?
Not sure what you are asking. Can you not shoot it yourself?

You should postpone the project but do not quite it. If you did not sign any papers agreeing to this project you are free to walk away but I strongly said don't because you said to do this for friends. Just get to know your DP and plan some more. But don't try to quickly finish it without having a good relationship with your crew members. Thats my suggestion.

Pick up a camera. Shoot something. No matter how small, no matter how cheesy, no matter whether your friends and your sister star in it. Put your name on it as director. Now you're a director. Everything after that you're just negotiating your budget and your fee.
--James Cameron

lol, just the one post then...

Ernest,
Is it me or are we seeing more of these single posts that SEEM real.. ? My paranoid hairs are going up. Could it be some sorta of marketing \ research effort ? I cant quite see how, but maybe just posting on this forum is a data point for some research to be presented to industry analysts..

I tend to look at the number of posts and whether or not their other details look legit (avatar, location, website, etc.)

Back