Now that Disney owns Star Wars ...

I'd LOVE to see Zach Snyder take on a Star Wars movie! But if this rumor is true, that would mean they actually have four movies in development, and I believe Disney has only confirmed three. I guess that's why they call them rumors. :)

Speaking of which, yes, I've heard Boba and Han's names tossed around. I've also heard Yoda mentioned. How awesome would a young-Yoda-in-training movie be? :yes:

Also, I kinda think a stand-alone Han movie is a bad idea. First of all, who the hell is going to fill Ford's shoes? Nobody, that's who! Anyone playing a young Han would ruin it! Then again, I probably would've said the same about anyone playing a young Kirk, and then Chris Pine went and knocked it out of the park.

The main reason I don't want a stand-alone Han movie is because he's already got three of them, Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi. It's not like he was a minor character in those movies. I guess Luke is the main protagonist, but they're more like ensemble pieces, and Han is a major player. We don't need a movie that gives us more insight into the character -- we already know him pretty darn well.

So, will Joe Johnston finally get his Boba Fett movie? And will it be our Joe Johnston, or the other guy? I must admit, the news of a possible Fett movie is a little bitter-sweet to me. Although I'd be the first person to buy tickets to see it, that's one fantasy-dream-project you can cross off my list. That should be my movie, dammit! :mope:

Does anyone else agree that a movie starring the Transvestite Alien Michael Jackson Thing would be better than all the prequels put together?

Yes.

I hardly care anymore.

I'm much more hopeful about the supposed stand-alone films.

Really, sort of like being in tune with being sick of Hollywood's rebooting origin stories of super heroes, I'd much rather them forget about all the old crap that's come before (thinking of the bad taste left in my mouth from the prequels), clear the slate, and give us something new and reinvigorated for a stinkin change!

Maybe what I'm really wishing for is a new Star Wars that's not Star Wars. Yeah, maybe it would have been better, for my two cents, if Disney would spend their millions and billions of dollars on a new space opera. Maybe it'd be better if Star Wars was allowed to die.

I'm starting to worry that this is going to be like one of those professional athletes who should retire, but isn't willing to accept that age has caught up with him, and it's only going to get sadder.

Sorry, I guess that sounds rather grumpy.

At first I thought, yeah, JJ Abrams, a great talent who could rescue Star Wars from itself.

But now, no, wait a minute.

J.J., listen to me. Have you signed on the dotted line yet? Wait. If you haven't, don't. Listen to me. You're in your prime. You already have one and probably two awesome Star Trek films under you belt. You can do better than sink with the ailing Star Wars franchise. You could be a part of creating a new space opera saga that doesn't need rescuing. One that isn't weighted down and poisoned by what has become a stultifying and soulless exercise in accreting more toy sales for its owners.

Think of Lost. Did you inherit that burden from your overlords Lucas or Disney? No! You and your collaborators built that hit TV show with your own sweat, blood, and tears.

You don't need Star Wars. What does Star Wars have that's so valuable? It has lightsabers, that's what. Lightsabers...that's it! (And Harrison Ford). Now, lighsabers are cool. Lightsabers will always be cool. But is that an excuse to throw our hands up and give up? Is that an excuse to accept all of the rest of the schlock and to not try to do anything new? Hell no! Screw lightsabers! (And, damn mortality, but Harrison has gotten old, hasn't he?). So, for how long must we live in the shadow of the lightsaber (and of Harrison Ford)?

In twentty-one hundred and fifty C.E., are we really going to discount the option of creating a new space opera story because lightsabers (and Harrison Ford) have already been taken? I certainly efing hope not! Same damn thing is true today!

Lightsabers. That's really all that Star Wars gots.

J.J., listen to me. I know the paycheck they've offered you is well-nigh irresistible. I know this is coming from someone who doesn't have any to speak of. But listen to me, I know...money isn't everything.

Bolt! Run! Get outta there!

MAKE US A NEW SPACE OPERA STORY, YOU-CAN-DO-IT, PLEEEEEASE!!!

FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T SETTLE FOR THIS!

Sorry for the caps.

Godbless.

Last edited:
Personally I would really love to see them make some Star Wars films not directly related to the main storyline. I read an article the other day about Zack Snyder trying to get a movie off the ground that would follow the same plot line of Seven Samurai but with Jedi. Though now it is being said it was just a rumor and that it isnt happening, I personally think this is really where Star Wars can go. Think, what has been the best thing to come out of the Star Wars franchise for the past decade, Expanded universe works. The Old Republic games were awesome (though the MMO was a bit lacking), the Clone Wars series was genius and some of the books and comics can be the most darkest and thought provoking material you can find in all of Star Wars. Star Wars in my mind stopped being just the films a while ago. Much like Lord of the Rings there is a whole expanded universe surronding it giving the story a much richer and vibrant history than any other franchise. So stop making films about the main storyline, they did it once and it sucked and no matter what you do we are never going to like them as much as the originals! So stop trying to recreate what they had and use the universe to its full potential.

richy, my initial reaction was one of hurt ;); I felt like you were fan-boy stabbing me in the heart. But then I realized that you really just need a fan-boy hug, and some positive words.

Look, here's why all of this Disney stuff is GREAT NEWS! For a long time, nobody thought there would be another Star Wars, and nobody really wanted one (because, let's face it, Lucas kinda lost his touch). But then Lucas did an awesome thing, allowing the franchise to live on.

INSTANTLY, thousands of fan-boys had their life-dreams re-ignited. Wait, there's a possibility of me writing/directing/whatever-ing a Star Wars movie?! YES!!!

Within barely a week of the announcement of the sale to Disney, Michael Arndt had a 40 page treatment for the next trilogy. Seriously?! That's working fast. He saw an opportunity. A DREAM opportunity that clearly excited him, and he jumped on it.

Michael Arndt. Little Miss Sunshine. Toy Story 3. He's a brilliant screenwriter, and apparently a huge fan of the series. Who isn't?

STAR WARS HAS BEEN TAKEN OVER BY FAN-BOYS!!!

That's pretty rad. I dunno about the long-term viability of the franchise, but I think the next decade or so is going to be VERY exciting!

Speaking of fan-boys who dream of making a Star Wars movie... :hi:

Sure, it's a pipe-dream, but at least now it's a hypothetical possibility. One has got to have their dreams. :)

Last edited:
I would love to make a Star Wars film or at the very least work on an episode in the upcoming series. Being able to say I contributed at all to the franchise would make me feel at least like I achieved some sort of life objective. That is the only highlight about the sequals. There is a possible chance as the next generation of filmmakers that we could work on them.

I would love to make a Star Wars film or at the very least work on an episode in the upcoming series. Being able to say I contributed at all to the franchise would make me feel at least like I achieved some sort of life objective. That is the only highlight about the sequals. There is a possible chance as the next generation of filmmakers that we could work on them.

So would I.

Harrison Ford will apparently return as Han Solo in Ep 7. I wonder if Mark and Carrie will make appearances as well.

Back in the day, from what I understand he did. It's been some years though, so his oppinion may have changed.

That, or he's hoping to get a chance to shoot Jar Jar Binks... He's Han Solo... unlike the rest of us, he could DO something! Heh.

:lol: Cracker, I did need a hug. And there may have been a little too much schnapps involved as well. Thank you, I appreciate it, and I feel better because of it. Right back atchya. =)

You know, I was, and still am, worrying that Lucas and Kennedy and the Disney execs are going to be breathing so closely down Michael Arndt's and the other creators' necks that banality will triumph.

But all that you say is true, of course, and there's much to be hopeful for, for now. And I much prefer your optimistic outlook.

It's just, ...please...God...don't give us The Adventures of Obi Wan and Anakin, ...please...!

I think I'd rather...eat cardboard, or something.

Which also got me to thinking, you know, just throw out the rest too. I love Harrison Ford and Han Solo and Chewbacca, but maybe...it's best if we leave them in the well-rembered past (all things, even good things, come to an end...and Ford's too old to reprise the role, anyway), and just move on to something a little fresher.

And the thing is...I think Firefly/Serenity has sorta taken up that mantle (of the Han Solo storyline).

So yeah, I am hoping that they prove you right, CF, and make us happy.

I think I wish they'd do what Tedward and others have suggested and explore that broader universe. Another seven samurai story really doesn't thrill me, though. Or, contradicting what I said above, if they must give us more stuff about the characters from the first films, the idea of Luke marrying a sith (ex) chick sounds a little intriguing to me, though, someone said it's not canonical. Eh, to hell with canon. =) At least it wouldn't be more (hate to use the word "boring") boring backstory.

I hope I've successfully removed that knife from you heart. :)

I too want Star Wars to get better and to succeed.

I'd like to see a Star Wars movie that takes place in the Star Wars Universe, that doesn't have any of the characters from previous installments. Just something small, perhaps a small little pirate crew that attacks cargo ships, such as Solo's, that ends up doing something big in the canon.

Back