top-list Name a masterpiece.

Interesting conversation.

So, if a masterpiece has to stand the test of time, no recent movies can be masterpieces by definition, regardless of how good it is. But what is considered good in one era may not be considered good in another, so only timeless works can be considered masterpieces. Well, I'm not sure about that, because a timeless masterpiece is one, but a contemporary masterpiece would still be a masterpiece.

Star Trek: The Original Series has a cheesy look, but the stories are still quite good. On the other hand, 2001 is not as popular now as it was when it came out. Anyway, Citizen Kane wasn't well-regarded when it came out, but it got more and more appreciated over time, until it's now considered one of the greatest films ever made. The same is true of Star Trek TOS - it was nearly cancelled, but you know what happened when it went into syndication.

Disco has not stood the test of time, but the rock-and-roll has, so is the latter a masterpiece genre but not the former?

I'm not convinced that something has to be popular for half a century to be a masterpiece, but I'd like the see the discussion continue.

Hmmm. Google gave me this simple definition of masterpiece: a work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship. I like it.

Casablanca. I know many of us agree on this one. It seems everything just came together beautifully for this film.
It's a Wonderful Life. It's just so utterly well made and effective.
Ben-Hur (1959) Been awhile. But I think of it as easily one of the best epic pictures.
Alien. A near perfect film. I think there are maybe two bad notes in it. Otherwise, it's so notably outstanding.
Magnolia. Outstanding production quality, craft, and artistry. The result is easily one of the most emotionally powerful and moving dramas ever made.
Last Temptation of Christ. A low budget film the big studios shunned. But so much love, intelligence, resolve, and craft made this little film that could into probably the most thoughtful movie about Jesus, as well as one of the most thoughtful about religion, the spiritual quest, and the human experience.
Angel Heart. A film of outstanding craft. Visually gorgeous and striking. Though it's true the story may be off-putting or difficult to embrace and so it may fall short of "masterpiece" status.
Pffft. Okay. I better stop there 'cause I see this could go on and on, and it'll get silly. LOL.

I'm not into horror or psychological thrillers, but I liked Casablanca and it's a wonderful life.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm beginning to do well in my business, so I can now focus more on quality. And, to fulfill my dream, I would again like to focus on quality, so I'm thinking of looking at quality movies, which means, first and foremost, masterpieces.