Latest Goodwill find

Hi all,
Rubbing in my excelent goodwill fortune again..

today I brought home a O'Connar 50D fluid head on an IDI Super Stix tripod. $39. Thats a lot of money for goodwill.

Im not sure why this ONE goodwill keeps giving up film making finds...

From that same store over the last year...

3 photo floods
4 light stands
1 EOS 28mm f2.8 lens
This tripod
MD 50mm f.12 lens
200mm FD lens
today they also had an FD 50mm f1.8, I passed.

Too bad there aren't any nearby Goodwill stores here.

You're in SoCal.. there's lots of them.

Unfortunately, they are almost always void of the equipment we read about here.

I'm guessing a lower local population would aid in finding good stuff. :(

Of course, the amount of filmmakers wandering the streets in LA...they probably hound the goodwill stores. :lol:

And yeah there's plenty of Goodwills in my general area, but none in my particular city. But I guess it's still pretty close.

Nice finds! I never do so well, though I did snag an awesome coffee table at a Salvation Army a few years ago, and of course, tons of $5 suit jackets. Always look for gear, but never find anything.

Thrift Stores Victorious!

Excellent find, Wheat.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but lookie what I gots for 6 dolla at a garage sale....

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

Continued on next post...

After reading about Wheat's Thrift Store adventures I was psyched to pick up cool, old camera parts out here in Canada (UK charity stores are a totally different concept).

YOU GAVE ME FALSE HOPE.

There is NOTHING of any VALUE to ANYONE in the thrift stores out here, unless you like mugs, women's cloths and VHS cassettes. Where's my amazing tripod? Where are my cool lenses? Where's my perfect working order Super 8 camera?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Bird I have that same copy of My Fair Lady. Sean and I wore the thing almost completely out from playing it over and over all night long. That cast recording will always make me think of partying. :cool:

@Nick. You're in Vancouver, right? And Vancouver has a pretty big film community I've heard. Which is probably why everything is picked over. It's the same here.

Instead of thrift stores, check out some pawn shops. You might have better luck and if not, I'm sure you could find a nice gold chain or something...

Thrift shops are a gold mine - but only if you haunt them regularly. There are three relatively nearby and I visit each at least once each month. I got a real leather couch in near perfect condition for my studio - $40. Dishes, glasses, silverware, and pots and pans galore for my Foley props collection. All kinds of old tools that make the coolest sounds. I've found some cool stereos and speakers to use for worldizing, and ancient small appliances like vacuums and blenders make terrific sound design fodder. I bought an old, really crappy TV stand that makes the greatest creaking noises.

And, of course, lots of shoes, although I get really weird looks when I start going through the high heels. :D

Back