• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Knock Down Sequence

Hi all,
I filmed and edited this last night as a test for some shooting I hope to do this weekend. Its a big knock down sequence at the end of a fight. Id like to know if it "works." (its NOT supposed to look "realistic" rather I'm going for over the top, super kung-fu thing.. with untrained kids!")

I shot this like it was a dialog, with OTS's. In post I did some time remaps etc, some of those fx's are a bit off. Sorry 'bout the "over the top" color, it was late and I just slapped a look on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvGT9Q2Yl1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvGT9Q2Yl1s&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

In the last two shots, we also need to see the part where the dude begins to totter over, then you can cut to when he's falling for the final shot. Also, I would have those shots from a different angle, otherwise why cut?

The awkwardness in the first half of the scene I would put down to the 180 rule breakage, which I wasn't sharp enough to spot. You still have something there though, the colours are vibrant.... I'd enhance the atmosphere by putting some shadowy things in front of the lights.

Last edited:
Tilt the camera 90 degrees so the 'wall' or 'impact obstacle' is actually the floor. Do a close shot. LOWER him down slowly onto the floor/wall with your hands out of shot. Tilt it back 90 degrees in post.

Or just shoot it super slow and speed it up in post.

Maybe you could have him do it backwards and reverse the footage. Just make the 'impact' part be very short and close, and of course 30 degrees from a wider shot which you will cut from.

You can show him falling for real on a mattress (out of frame) and then cut to the closer separate angle of him 'hitting' the wall/floor etc.

The trick to making it look real would be (I think) making sure that you still see some of the floor in the mattress shot, so we don't automatically notice that it's a trick.

PS: Had a thought for a final shot to this sequence. Show the boy sort of shaking his head like he's dizzy and opening and closing his eyes like he's not able to focus, but then he sees something. Then do a POV (worm's eye)of the girl stepping into the frame, looking satisfied, maybe rubbing her knuckles.

GIRL
You've crumbled your last family, Dr. Cookie.
(or something equally cheesy)
(am I remembering the villain's name right?)

I think the slightly surreal color adds a nice touch, although the impact of the strike was overlooked, which is i think will tie it all together as it seems a little disjointed without that distinct visual. Yet, apart from that and certainly when the old school Sonny Chiba fx gets put into the picture, i can see this being pretty awesome.

When are we going to see the next edits?

Awesome, you need to get the 'Street fighter triple feature'. Martial arts classic and one of the greats from Sonny! There will be some interviews floating around, bare in mind it was a while back, yet I'm sure there's a few videos that show Sonny going into depth in how it is he projects fighting as an art-form to the screen. So this may give you some pointers. I'll try dig them up tomorrow morning and post for you.

Stoked to see the next piece.:cool:

Here is the results from the new shoot this weekend.... different in many ways.. but incorporating some of yalls ideas..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FBldF6ACcA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FBldF6ACcA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

colors a bit too crushed.. lost the detail in the shadows...though I like the overall color treatment

I'm very happy with the time remapping effects.

Whops.. left the light stand in background.. stupid noob...

Need some "impact" effect on the wall hit..

The new one's heaps better! The first was good but some of the hits just didn't feel convincing, and one or two cuts were a little jarring, but this one works really well. Congrats!

I totally agree with the above post, it's great to see you took on a-lot of the posters advice, the shots with the exchange of gestures in the intro are perfect, kudos for doing your homework, it's really paid off. :D

Definite improvement over the previous clip. Enough breathing space in the beginning , nice variation in timing , looks really good.

I agree you need an impact effect in there. I wanna mention one thing I noticed , just before the big punch that throws him away , there's a punch that begins with the right arm but connects with the left . Just jarred me a bit when I saw it the second time.

BTW , the quick zooms and the moustache , all remind me of chinese kng-fu movies...:)

Good work.

Last edited:
Much better, especially the beginning and the end. I didn't even notice the light stand, even when I looked for it. I think continuity errors like that are fine.

I still think there's something a little confusing about the actual exchange of blows. It was hard to orient a little, but much better than the first.
I think you need to cut to a long shot to let us orient ourselves. There's something slightly off with the mid-sequence but I don't know what. I think with re-editing you could nail it.

The colors and camerawork are lush and the acting's engaging.

OK:

He takes a right to the face, next shot he's taking a left. I think a pro would have a shot inbetween those two shots. Either a long shot, or an over the shoulder, something to let us see a second left hook's launched.

After he takes the final right to the face, we immediately see her pushing him. I need to see her hand retracting more, or the push coming from a different hand, in order to make it more believeable.

The editing is good though, very natural. I just think you need to add 2 or 3 shots and it's good.

Last edited:
FrostBlue wins the cookie! I was going to fix it but figured you'd appreciate the challenge..

Seriously, if I flop that punch, I would end up on the wrong side of the line, Ill see if I have another left handed long lens shot to replace the shot BEFORE the continuity error..

Interestingly, a big feature of this sequence, the slow mo face punches, just sorta happened... the kids just did it, MUCH easier to choreograph than real time long lens hits.

Id like to extend this sequence. The wall hit is a good transition, to where the boy can beat her back, and then she can come back for the big win!

When I shot the next fight sequences (cookie barrage and Chops Vs. Cupcake) I may have these two do a few more. Plus, I noticed that in my videos my boy keeps getting his butt kicked by his sister.. Im going to give him a complex, probably end up in therapy :crazy: if he doesn't get to whip some #@% once in a while! :)

Last edited:
PositiveFuture,
Thats an awesome little tut. I wish I had seen it BEFORE Saturday.. DOH!.. but Ill definitely try some of those techniques in my next sequences..

My bigger challenge is working with the teenagers.. (aliens have replaced my teenage daughters brains.. I know they'll bring them back around the time they turn 22, but its tough in the mean time.. )

Any girls\laddies on the forum have any tips for this dad?

Back