Kickstarter Hangups...

I just watched the video and I can't tell you what your movie is about. When you have a trailer on there it would better serve you to show footage from the film or even a sit down with you talking about the film. The video you put up was flashy but no substance. However this is just my opinion and take it for what it is worth.

I recently started a Kickstarter project for my directorial debut film "Lyncredible." Going in I was very optimistic. I went to bed with visions of sugar plums. Now, I am wondering if even a small goal, $3500 is outside my location's donation range.

The project, itself is currently sitting in the second position for its region, but was not garnering much fanfare. This led me to create a different video and revise the story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lyndrick/lyncredible-the-bug-debacle-0

Currently, I am working Facebook, Twitter, Adwords, and a few local places to get the word out. Please lok over my project and tell me what you feel would best help us succeed.

As is, it is looking like a long road with an unpleasant end.

Do you have fans that will contribute? Have you let them know?

The general public is not going to donate, this is a platform for you to raise money from the people that you know... fans, friends, family. It's just an organization tool to help you do this. Not a magic financing tool.

Particularly when it comes to art, as highlighted by the rest of the guys, it seems that KS shines in helping to bring it all together.

Certainly if you have an invention, KS can help "sell it" on its own, but realistically speaking, your project is one of several hundreds, so your project is only going to stand out as much as you make it do so.

I just watched the video and I can't tell you what your movie is about. When you have a trailer on there it would better serve you to show footage from the film or even a sit down with you talking about the film. The video you put up was flashy but no substance. However this is just my opinion and take it for what it is worth.

Originally I had a trailer for the film up. I think you may be right about sitting down and talking about the project. Thank your for your reply.

Do you have fans that will contribute? Have you let them know?

The general public is not going to donate, this is a platform for you to raise money from the people that you know... fans, friends, family. It's just an organization tool to help you do this. Not a magic financing tool.

I am starting to see that. Thanks for the insight.

Particularly when it comes to art, as highlighted by the rest of the guys, it seems that KS shines in helping to bring it all together.

Certainly if you have an invention, KS can help "sell it" on its own, but realistically speaking, your project is one of several hundreds, so your project is only going to stand out as much as you make it do so.

Thanks Josh. It looks like I will have to rethink my strategy.

That seems pretty typical. Someone you know or a complete
stranger?

I'm not trying to "trap" you - I'm very interested in crowd
funding so I ask a lot of questions of both those seeking funds
and those who donate.

I have found that our Founder said is true. People generally do
not donate to people they don't know in some way - maybe not
personally. As you now know it's not a "if you build it they will
come" situation. You need to do much more.

So what made you to decide to donate to the one? Why only
one so far? Do you actively look for others to donate to?

It is someone I don't know. Their project is coming down to the wire, so I contributed. They still have a couple days, but it really comes down to how many people see it, and how many people they can recruit.

I understand what you mean now. I didn't truly understand how KS worked when I started my project.

Of the handful of people that didn't know me or anyone on our project, only a pair of them pledged more than the minimum for a DVD. But at the same time, if someone knows your friend that showed them the link then they kind of are linked to you.

Unless you're well known on a forum with a lot of traction, they aren't the best place to start. You really have to dig around in your target audiences lawns to get what you need.

Crowdfunding is tough business and it's not gonna work for everyone, but nothing worn with giving it a strong go.

It is someone I don't know. Their project is coming down to the wire, so I contributed. They still have a couple days, but it really comes down to how many people see it, and how many people they can recruit.
How did they find you? Or how did you find them? There are a thousand
projects coming down to the wire every day - what made you choose this
one?

Maybe if was all explore why we contribute we can help each other understand
why people contribute. I have only contributed to two. One music project listed
by indietalk's founder - I have gotten a lot out of being a member here. And
one a movie project from a long time poster here.

I've pitched into four kickstarter projects so far.

One was a fantasy feature being done by students in Ohio. I forgot how I ran across it but I pledged because they had similar influences to myself (Final Fantasy fans). Don't really care if they finish or not, just wanted to put my vote in because I liked that they were trying something super ambitious. The project was THE NAMELESS CRYST

The second one was a fellow filmmaker that I've known for a while. I knew he didn't need my contribution but my GF and I split that one, anyway, so we could get a KS Edition DVD to watch. The project was DOWN AND DANGEROUS.

The third was just a dollar to the Bolex project, because I backed out and could only lower the pledge.

Last one was another filmmaker I know, although it's not my kind of content someone else that I knew backed him, so I followed suit to push them right to 15K. That was CEMENT SUITCASE.

All in all, I actually don't really care if I see the end product of any of these, and I haven't even kept up with the updates. It's just helping out, or supporting people closer to myself.

I'd put up for some other projects but I am flat broke as of right now... was three dollars short on rent!

Good luck with it, dude. :cool:

Btw, I noticed the number of FB likes - 1361. For that kind of popularity, I'd figure you'd have more than the one backer by now. Is there any way to turn that number of likes into more bux for your film? Do you get to broadcast updates to all of those peeps, for example?

Good luck with it, dude. :cool:

Btw, I noticed the number of FB likes - 1361. For that kind of popularity, I'd figure you'd have more than the one backer by now. Is there any way to turn that number of likes into more bux for your film? Do you get to broadcast updates to all of those peeps, for example?

Thank you. I am not sure if the majority of people are waiting on me to get more backers or if they feel that liking the project is enough. I do know that each of the actors have asked their followers for help. No one has pitch in so far.

One problem could be location. The film is being shot in Chicago but the project is in Omaha. The initial project was in Chicago, but the revision is where I am currently. I am in position one in Omaha. I was in the 70's in Chicago.

At this point I would welcome any help. Only a few days left to go.

Back