it's time for a new independent movie industry

You can't "instantly" replicate or compete with a well-established bohemeth that has one hundred years of branding and close to 100% market share.

And you shouldn't try.

Here's the analogy. Don't build a new OS and try to topple Microsoft, build software that Microsoft can't make and don't expect to become Microsoft by doing it.

Geez.....ok, let me try to explain this a fourth time or is it the eight time? ..heck I lost count, I'm not trying to overthrow your Hollywood Gods, I'm not talking about competing with as to blaspheme the Hollywood Gods, not even trying to deprogram your way of thinking, and I'm not trying to bring anyone out of the Matrix..it is simply those with the same resources as hollywood that may seek an alternative way to use them..again this is a discussion about ideas as how to link those resouces to create another venue for those Independent Filmmakers that enjoy making movies and seek a way to present them to the public but choose not to worship the Hollywood Gods...this discussion can't even get past the topic of what the discussion is about...but it's not about Hollywood, I like Hollywood..Hollywood is our friend ...

...okay, in the interest of clearing things up. Let's restate the originating thought of the thread because I, for one, am confused, so lets start over.

...funches, what is your suggestion of how to re-think how this industry does things? Don't send me to another site. The point you were making was what? Your suggestion of how to do things, hypothetically, was what? Maybe this way, we can all understand more clearly what it is you were trying to say, and avoid all the snipping, and there was some snipping around this thread which is why I said it was becoming counterproductive. There is no resistance to discussion or else the thread would be dead, so let's re-start and re-state this thread from here.

...I'm of average intelligence, I can figure stuff out, sometimes I'm linear, but I ain't no dummy :D

...Philosophy is fine, but philosophy with no game plan is bar conversation fueled by beer; be clear, funches, I want to know what we were supposed to deduce from the thread originally.....

--spinner :cool:

EDIT:
I had a professional change of heart and decided to stay out of this.

Last edited:
funches said:
again this discussion is not about change, the system works perfectly so why change it, it's about could another venue or network be set up as to get some of the best quality and most entertaining Independent films to a public that otherwise would never see them, there are independent filmakers and others with different resouces that when link together will create this venue instantly,

...oops, sorry, funches, posted before I saw this post, but give an answer we can mull over anyway...
I even think I may have an idea on how to do this, I'll post later, gotta go to work you know...

--spinner :cool:

funches said:
let me try to explain this a fourth time or is it the eight time?

It's because you make absolutely no sense, good funches.

There have been (so far) over 120 replies to this thread, and apparently noone else understands either... so it's not just me.

You need to work on your communication skills, good sir.

I wish you the best in getting done whatever you are trying to do.

well ZenSteve, there are some that understand and spinner understand and now express that an idea has come to mind, so your point has become mute and now I don't understand why you can't understand. remember for the ninth or twelve time, this is a discussion to express ideas as how to come up with another venue, or can you use the quote button to show where I claim it was anything besides that ...ZenSteve just try expanding your mind or just look up the word (discussion)

funches said:
well ZenSteve, there are some that understand and spinner understand and now express that an idea has come to mind, so your point has become mute and now I don't understand why you can't understand. remember for the ninth or twelve time, this is a discussion to express ideas as how to come up with another venue, or can you use the quote button to show where I claim it was anything besides that ...ZenSteve just try expanding your mind or just look up the word (discussion)

Should it really have taken Spinner to post #125 to begin (maybe) to understand what you are saying? That is not an indication of clarity on your part at all, good sir.

It does not make my point MOOT (not "mute" ; talk about looking words up :rolleyes: ) at all.

and in the post i said that there are others that understand.....and mute is just the word I meant. sorry you couldn't understand that either...expand your mind..and offer ideas

Expand your mind zen, don't you know what a mute point is? :lol:

Funches, you wrote:

"again this discussion is not about change, the system works perfectly so why change it, .."

But before that, you wrote:

"Things will only change if you change them or it will continue to be the same old same old,..."

?

I said why change the current system because it does work but not for Independent filmmakers so it will be the same old same old useless another venue can be created to get these quality movies and the most entertaining movies to the public....is this place full of proofreaders looking for holes in my posts instead of offerring ideas?..for the thirteenth time, it's a discussion of creating another venue.you guys are getting spooky

Can I make a suggestion?

How would it be if everyone who can't see the wisdom of funches plan just voted with our feet and abandoned the thread. He's made it clear that he's not interested in our opinions.

This would mean that he could back to working on his plan with people who are interested in buying into it.

From what I've be able to gather, what he's suggesting is that all the independent filmmakers in Chicago area could work together and pool resources to make and market one film, instead of competing. With greater resources this film would then have a better chance of getting the attention of the mainstream industry. I think he's further suggesting that the marketing would be achieved by setting up a web ring where a larger group of indies (us) would promote it on our websites, in the hope that that would achieve enough buzz to get the film sold.

I maybe wrong about all of this, but by reading between the lines I think this is what funches is proposing.

This isn't the worst plan I've ever heard, but it would only stand a chance of working if the person instigating it had the skills to both communicate and sell the idea to enough filmmakers.

So, as

a) I don't live in Chcago
b) I Can't imagine anyone ever being able to do a sucessful co-production with funches
and
c) I believe the webring idea is not even close to being a realistic marketing strategy

I'm out of this thread.

Last edited:
...er..look Clive, now you are trying to rally your minions to abandon this thread..you as a moderator thinks this is a good idea?.. well maybe there are those that choose to think for themselves

so again Clive I have to point out the fact that you don't read my post clearly...so use your quote button and point out where I suggested starting a web ring..it seems like you are becoming the new master of mis-quotes

and people for the...er..let me look back and see which time this is...ok for the fourteenth time , this is a discussion, ..wait I know what..you guys are jerking my chain...that has to be it , you crazy kids...I knew you guys couldn't be that dense...good one...ok fool the newbie,....ok enough fun so now who have some ideas?

Dear funches,

Your posts in this thread are jumbled, contradictory, combative, trollish and uselessly vague.

You fail to clarify anything you have tried to present; rather mocking those who fail to understand whatever you're trying to get across. Challenging people to quote-this or quote-that, then accuse them of being a petty proof-reader when they do? :rolleyes: Why not explain what you meant in the first place?

I don't believe you are making a serious effort at communication.

..so ZenSteve, I know you meant all those things in a good way?...right?

ok ZenSteve since I cannot get the discussion going one way,
then I shall (create another venue) to get this discussion going

Surely ZenSteve you must have produced an Independent movie? and I going to assume this Independent movie is awesome, nothing like it ever, a real need to see movie,.. so what's the name of your movie and if your movie was not promoted thru the hollywood system, what resources do you plan on using to get it to the the silver screen?

Back