It's been real.

It's probably inevitable that everything eventually peaks and begins to slide.

I've been an off-and-on IT contributor for some time now, and have definitely perceived a change in the forum. Seems like several of the members who were so active when I signed on are rarely heard from these days -- folks like Knightly, Sonnyboo, Scoopicman, Directorik and others used to live here, but now only chime in on occasion. As often as not, it seems like the posts they do make are met with derision if not outright hostility, so I can't say I blame them.

A few of the old guard are still hanging in there -- Zensteve is a machine, and Alcove has the patience of a saint! But in my opinion the overall IT vibe has shifted from enthusiastic to annoying to confrontational. I may be totally off-base, but that's just my impression so feel free to disregard it.

I've been fortunate to have met some very cool IT'ers in person - Wheatgrinder, CrackerFunk, Kholi - and I definitely intend to hook up with others at some point. Beyond that, I think the time has come to sail off into the sunset. I'll likely continue to check in periodically, habit and curiosity being what they are.

Some of you reading this are undoubtedly asking yourselves, "Who the f**k are you? And why should we care what you think?" The answers, respectively, are: "Nobody," and, "You shouldn't."

Ciao.

Last edited:
Nah, I don't think you're totally off-base.

Gonna miss ya. Maybe a few months off is just the ticket? I know I've done that, more than once. :lol:

It's weird watching people grow up on the forums. :blush:

Who the f**k are you?

Kidding, I completely understand. I have not been as regular as I used to be because I got quite busy with multiple projects. I've been trying to slow things down on purpose now and have been on IT more but I've also felt that a little bit of the community feeling we had before has not been the same.

I like being here and you're right things peak and subside... but then they peak again. It's a cycle so don't disappear forever. I'll see you back here and you'll see me back here.

Mick, you are one of the reasons I check this board! I should post more, but I do check in (on Lurker status) almost every day.

Some things we might not agree on, but I see you as a filmmaker parallel to myself - same age, amount of features, started at similar times with Super 8, 16mm and video formats. Let's see, where's the mail package that changed my life.....? Here it is!

DarkCrimes.jpg

And..................., I want you to know another thing. Do you know that you can make vampire fangs out of Wriggley's spearmint gum? ;)

fangs2.jpg

Now, who is the mean person that gave you shit? I'm calling in my army guys! I can post them outside your house, in Oregon, monitor your internet, etc. :grrr:

soldiers4

Thanks for the headzup.
I honestly do understand as I've traveled across several forums over the past decade+, often leaving when I feel I can learn little more from the collective and am tired of chiming the same thing to new nubies.

As I tell my kids: In life friends come and go.

I hope whatever you follow up 'Crimps' with turns out well, and I/we will look forward to your intermittent posts.

Take care. :) :yes:

Many forums have no more than a dozen active members, because they're so easy to make. And Facebook groups are further increasing the supply of social networking media, which dissipates the number of members per forum.

I've left one forum, of which I was a long-time member, because of the acrimony, so I understand how 2001 feels. I am not a really active member here, because I am not a filmmaker (yet), so I don't know if there has been any hostility, because I haven't been reading the other messages. But I understand how someone can be upset if there is hostility, and, if there is, the admins should come down on those who cross the line.

Okay, first off, though I hear where you're coming from, I don't completely agree with the sentiment. That being said, I certainly won't fault you for stepping away, and I'm SUPER glad that I've been able to network with you. I hope the day comes in which our careers will intersect, not just in passing, but in working on the same film. :yes:

IT has definitely changed, but I still find a lot of worth in it (and for the same reason that I've always liked it here).

I think video has killed the radio star, so to speak. When I joined IT, DSLR was kinda a new thing; now it's just normal (and perhaps soon to be obsolete). A few years ago, the "which camera should I buy" threads were popping up on the daily. Those conversations have pretty much died, because DSLR (and EVIL) cameras have more than proved their worth.

Anyway, IT obviously isn't the only filmmaking forum on the internet. There's one in particular that gets a crap-ton of traffic, much more than IT. However, they tend to be very technical, and pretty much only talk about cinematography. That's cool, and if that's what somebody is into, then that's where they should spend their time.

IT, to this day, remains diverse. No matter the conversation, it's not unusual for the same thread to include differing opinions from producers, audio folk, cinematographers, editors, screenwriters, accomplished commercial directors, and wanna-be directors alike.

Also, though the contributions of the old-guard are invaluable, there's always a fresh batch of new folk doing new and exciting things. It's been rather fun seeing the recent developments of dlevanchuk, mlesseman, and franklad. And I'm particularly REALLY anxious to see what _Rok_ produces (my instincts are telling me it's gonna be F'ing sweet).

And likewise, where there used to be directorik, there are now IDOM and jax_rox. Solid advice is still being doled out.

Mick, please continue to lurk, it ain't a crime. Should you only post a couple of times per year, I'll personally be glad for it. :D

Life is short, we can at least say we knew each other one way or another, infact even the people we haven't met, have made us smile, swear, vent fury and think about hings we haven't before, not everyone can be here all the time, not everyone is nice, but we are people and as people we change with the times, it's this change that helps us survive and progress, or not in some cases.

Good luck

Best of luck to you, 2001 Productions in all your endeavors.

Every member makes their contributions. And, you made informative ones.

Maybe all you really need is some time away.

All the best,

Mike

I definitely understand taking a break from things, forums doubly so.

Best of luck with stuff, and hope you come back to share when you've got stuff ready!

Good luck!

Don't forget the indietalk-door is always open...

I also dissappear for weeks or months in a row. That's life: one can't be in the interwebz forever

(Hmmm, I hope I never sound hostile, btw... I can be blunt sometimes... when people want feedback or when I feel they need to be motivated ;) )

I've left one forum, of which I was a long-time member, because of the acrimony, so I understand how 2001 feels. I am not a really active member here, because I am not a filmmaker (yet), so I don't know if there has been any hostility, because I haven't been reading the other messages. But I understand how someone can be upset if there is hostility, and, if there is, the admins should come down on those who cross the line.

I think people take the internet far too seriously. It tends to become part of people's worlds rather than as a form of entertainment, social interaction and information gathering that they can walk away from at any point.

I long ago gave up any notion of getting upset over things said on the internet to me. I'm convinced that words only have the power that the reader gives them, and therefore it really doesn't matter what anyone says to me, what matters is how I react to those words. Taking offense or feeling put down or angry or any other reaction is under my control. Why should I empower someone who says nasty things to me or about me?

The same goes for what people think of me. I generally don't care what people think. Most people tend to either think I'm lying or that I'm some sort of callous sociopath but that's only because they don't have the capability to think beyond their own little worlds. What matters isn't what other people think of me, what matters is what I think of myself. I can't control other people's thoughts (yet) but I can control my feelings, my thoughts and my reactions.

So... grain of salt... water off a duck's back... sticks and stones... it's all good.

Hey... I'm still here ;) I was unemployed when making all of my gajillions of posts... now I'm working full time again (or there abouts). The difference in ambience is changing as we get more new folks here -- growth is good, but takes some getting used to the changes it brings with it. Some of the change will stick as the community grows and changes, some will stay the same as the existing community sets the example for the new folks. Take the time you need, it's all good, we should still be here when you come back... perhaps around october for the next Midknightly challenge :)

Hey gang, sorry if I came off as a bit of a drama queen back there. But then I am a writer/actor/filmmaker, so I suppose it goes with the territory. :blush:

Just want to clarify that I did not feel personally attacked by anyone here -- did not mean to imply that at all! I just feel like this forum has lost much of the collaborative spirit it once had. There are some highly seasoned folks on this board who make a genuine effort to give the benefit of their experience. But then it seems like, more often than not, they end up spending a bunch of time repeating or defending themselves.

Maybe they don't feel that way; maybe it's just me. But I've been spending time on another film forum of late, and the tone there is much more respectful and collaborative. That certainly could change as it grows, and Ernest may very well be correct that this is just a natural flux for IT. Hope so.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words! I'm easily located on Facebook if anyone wants to keep in touch.

Just want to clarify that I did not feel personally attacked by anyone here -- did not mean to imply that at all! I just feel like this forum has lost much of the collaborative spirit it once had. There are some highly seasoned folks on this board who make a genuine effort to give the benefit of their experience. But then it seems like, more often than not, they end up spending a bunch of time repeating or defending themselves.

By it's nature, a community based around independent creative endeavour is going to have more amateurs who want to learn than professionals who are willing to teach. And any community that wants to survive will grow and change with an influx of new people who don't have the benefit of previous knowledge or experience garnered from old conversations. So repetition is only natural and a requirement of a communities continued existence. Without repetition you deny inclusivity and the community would stagnate, cliques would form and become elitist making the community exclusive to those individuals. I would think that would run counter to the essential goals of an independent, creative and collaborative collective.

Mick, I didn't think you were being a drama queen. Hope it didn't sound like I thought that. I think most of us feel where you're coming from, and of course we wish for the best for you, and hope to at least periodically see you around here. :)

I have appreciated all the kind input over the years, as a newb, then a hack, then... well just a flop I guess...hahaha. (J/K) For me being a full time dad of 4, owning a small repair shop, being the only breadwinner and overall just being extremely busy, keps from being as involved as I'd like. I will admit the tone of the IT forum has changed since I arrived 6 or 7 years ago (under a different name). I think the availability of great cameras has made more, ahem, individuals.. think they are film makers. It happened to me, started with green-screening my kids and turned into a desire to make a feature film. Once again, thanks to all the great anchors of this site who tirelessly repeat themselves over and over and over until the rocks (in our heads) are crushed into powder and the light shines through. I am forced into "lurk mode" myself, but will never stop being a part of the Indie Talk family, hopefully the core family that's in it for the long haul...

Back