• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this even a good story?

Okay, here's the deal, I've been working on this screenplay for a few months, but the idea has been in my head for a long, long time. But looking at VPTurner's formula for a logline has given me pause for thought. How do I know if it's a good story? If people are going to enjoy it, be touched by it, learn from it, all that stuff. I think it's a good story, but maybe that's just because it's so personal to me.

If I give you guys like an overview of it, can you tell me if you think it's even worth continuing? (I don't wanna type it all out and then have no one respond to it lol)

Sure we will.

Just some general advice which im sure you already know:

You know a lot of it depends on how you write an idea and not on the idea itself that will make it all the things you want it to be. Basically, although the overview is important and will tell a lot about it, the execution of the overview matters more.

:)

EDIT: Aaand we were typing at the same time

Good point Rik, I guess I'll have to share it and see :)
Also a good point Ernest, I've been writing creatively pretty much since I was able to write, so I'd like to think I'm not too bad at it.

Alright, I am terrible at keeping things short, so here is an incredibly long brief overview:

It starts of with Hennley and Echo (at 20) having sex while Hennley's voice over talks about pretty much just discarding your life. She lifts her face to his skin and breaths him in. The voice over says that nothing will ever smell the way he did.

Then we go the present where Hennley is 43. Hogan (44) shows up and delivers a battered envelope and the news that Echo has been dead for almost 20 years. After he leaves Hennley goes and sits on her bed.

And we're back in the past. Hennley is 16. Hennley meets Echo, who is also 16. They develop a lustful, controlling and pretty much one sided relationship. They have unprotected sex and panic, but a few weeks later Hennley gets her period. She calls Echo to tell him and after expressing his relief, he breaks up with her. She goes camping with her parents and has sex with some random guy on the beach of the lake.

A few weeks later Hennley's sister Michelle (who she lives with) watches her retching in the toilet and asks if she is pregnant. After a little sex education from Michelle and a pregnancy test, also courtesy of Michelle, Hennley discovers that yep, she is well and truly knocked up.
She tells Echo and he says that he'll support her no matter what, it's her choice, etc etc. She agonises over the decision, but she knows there's only one solution.

Hennley, Michelle, Jan (their mother) and Echo all go to a women's health clinic and Hennley gets an abortion.

After a recovery day with her best friend Hennley visits Echo on her way back to her sisters. He breaks up with her, again, this time stating that she doesn't need him any more and a bunch of other crap. Hennley says it's too late for him to decide he cares and that's that.
She moves back in with her parents, and pretty much sluts around all over the place for several years.

Eventually she runs into a boy she went to primary school with and his comments about what he's heard about her force her to actually look at herself properly.

Then she comes across a few of the old group of friends she had, including Echo's best friend, Hogan.
The next day she wakes up and realises she's slept with Hogan. A big fight ensues and he literally throws her out.

So she ends up drunk and missing a shoe in the gutter outside the shops where she first met Echo and that's when Zac pulls up and offers her a lift. He awkwardly rebuffs her advances because he feels it wouldn't be right. He gets her number instead and texts her the next day.
They go out and he tells her he's a virgin and just generally a wonderfully sweet guy.

Eventually they move in together and everything is going swell. So of course Echo calls her in the middle of the night, crying, and she agrees to meet him after she finishes work the next day.

Skip to the two of them in his bedroom. He has a little sook about the family they never got to have but she says she's with Zac now, too bad, deal with it. Then he starts actually crying, like he's really upset and he asks her to just hold him for a little while.

And here we come back to the first scene again.

In the morning he tells her he wants to be alone and she goes absolutely apeshit. After he says that he just wanted to fuck her again she points out that he said he loved her. His response is along the lines of not many girls can do what you do, I trained you after all and without hesitation she slaps him. She tells him to look into her eyes and tell her he doesn't love her. He does. She gets dressed, gets her things, goes to the door and pauses. She says that maybe one day when she's forgotten how this feels, she'll feel sorry for him.

Then she catches the train home for the last time and the voice over talks about having someone who makes you feel like scent is only one sense and yay every one's happy.

Finally we come back to the present where Zac arrives home to find Hennley still curled up on the bed. She shows him the envelope and tells him she doesn't care what it says, get rid of it, burn it, whatever.

So they go into the kitchen and he holds the envelope while she takes a stove lighter and sets it on fire. Zac drops it into the sink and they kiss. Their daughter comes in and friendly banter between her and Zac ensues so Hennley just stands and watches the ashes wash down the sink and smiles. Aw.

That took way longer than it should have. I suck at being brief, sorry every one :(

Sounds to me like it could be a great story. I get the impression that you've really fleshed these characters out, in your head, and that will be of the utmost importance, especially for this kind of story, I think.

I'd say it needs a little focusing (either that, or your description of it, to us, should be a little more concise). So, here's the all-important question, that we all have to answer -- what's the logline?

I think this is a great start. Can't wait to see how this project developes.

Yes I have, lol.

There's a lot of details I left out of that 'cause I was trying to keep it short (and it still ended up being half a novel lol). I dunno if those details would make it evident that it's focused or just make it sound worse though.

I suppose the logline would be something like "Hennley's Echo is a drama about a teenage girl who after developing a relationship with a troubled teenage boy tries to break free of him. But things become complicated when she discovers she is pregnant." ?
I can't think of any other way to describe their age, because young girl/boy sounds like children and young woman/man sounds like people in their early twenties. That's just me though, maybe other people would hear young woman/man and think teenagers.

Anyway. Thanks for the feedback Joe :)

It sounds fine. It’s a very familiar, often used story that people
can relate to. It’s pretty typical that we writers do a version of
that issue when we are starting. That and suicide stories are the
mainstay of beginning writers. I'd go as far as saying those stories
are a right of passage.

When will the script be finished?

Sounds like you're doing handling the type of story the right way, which is concentrating on the characters more than the events around them.

A word of advice: A lot of movies like this end up using a lot of exposition to try and show you what the characters are feeling. Use little everyday actions in an effective way to show Hennley's mood and it will be notch higher than the other movies immediately.

Hi Angela,

I, too, have been where you are in the process of writing. If this is something that you want to write, a story that you want to tell, then by all means stick with it and get your first draft done.

Is this something you are thinking of shooting yourself?

Although it would be ideal, we can't totally predict what an audience will respond to favorably, so that's mostly out of our control. All we can do is write how we see it, present it to readers for feedback, and go back to the laptop for drafts two, three and beyond.

That said, it is important for us (as writers) to keep an audience in mind while keeping our own goals in check. The hope is to entertain on some level, right? Maybe ask yourself (and answer if you can) a few questions like:

1) What do I connect with in the films I like most?
2) What, in films, makes me laugh, cry or contemplate?
3) How can I take my good idea and mold it enough so that it is as unique as it will ever be?
4) What is it, in its basic element, about my idea/story that gets me excited about sharing it with others?
5) Am I writing this for me or for many others? And if the former, what am I learning from the experience? If the latter, how will I entertain and enlighten an audience hungry for good storytelling?
6) etc...

Well, you get the idea. Sorry I don't have THE answer for you. Just wanted to chime in with a few suggestions. Keep writing and it will all come together!

Cheers,

Jeff

Yes I have, lol.

There's a lot of details I left out of that 'cause I was trying to keep it short (and it still ended up being half a novel lol). I dunno if those details would make it evident that it's focused or just make it sound worse though.

God is in the details. :)

I suppose the logline would be something like "Hennley's Echo is a drama about a teenage girl who after developing a relationship with a troubled teenage boy tries to break free of him. But things become complicated when she discovers she is pregnant." ?
I can't think of any other way to describe their age, because young girl/boy sounds like children and young woman/man sounds like people in their early twenties. That's just me though, maybe other people would hear young woman/man and think teenagers.

Anyway. Thanks for the feedback Joe :)

I really like the ambiguity of your title. 'Hennley's Echo", both her first love and her experiences with him which have colored, influenced, and *rippled* through a quarter century, ie Echo's echo.

Continue on....:yes:

It sounds like there is a lot of potential. I really like this story.

I think the overall arc has a lot of room for personal conflicts and thus, good drama.
I like the main character. She is flawed in a way that too many female leads are not. You haven't sheltered her at all and I really love that.

My concerns would be the following

Zac and Echo seem to be one note characters without an arc of their own. Echo is just bad, Zac is just good. Zac sounds like he isn't even introduced until the 3rd act which concerns me.

Hennley doesn't sound like she grows in the story it sounds like she grew at some point between the flashback and the present. The whole begining of the movie she seems to be growing up and coming of age only to end with her having an immature fling still getting hustled by men. It undoes everything she's worked for the entire film. In the present she is too grown up to care. Where was the transition?

I think the story is inspired and could be a great coming of age tale if handled delicately, but I think you need a beat sheet first. Figure out the archetecture of your story. Where are the turns and what changes in each? I think you'll find the end needs work.

If you have that done already I think it would help to see it.

It's a terrible story! It's pulp! It's crap! It's a horrid mess!

No? It's not?

Oh.

It's fabulous! It will be the greatest movie ever made!

Well, not quite....

To be completely honest I couldn't tell you whether or not it would be a good film or a bad film. I read scripts and go "uh huh". What helps me is a log line that tells me the intention of the script. I need that perspective. I spoke with a potential client today and asked him to describe the film and I got a long ramble that confused me more than anything else.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is "okay, that's a nice story, but what does it mean?" After having read your synopsis I don't know what the meaning is to the characters and why I should care. What is the revelation that turns her around, and why is Zac willing to accept her? In fact, what drove her into the downward spiral to begin with?

Now I'm not saying that my critique is in any way meaningful; maybe it's more a criticism of myself - I just don't get it. Maybe I just don't know how to read a script. But the basic premise is one I've seen/read before, and even been a crying shoulder to participants of similar real life situations. Some turned out okay, some turned out badly, and some are still turning.

After reading what I've just typed I'm not even sure why I'm posting it, except that's how I feel at the moment.

Insert: Is this something you're writing just for yourself? For practice? Or you want to shoot it yourself in the future?

Or is it something you'd like to sell to someone else?

If the latter, I'd say it COULD be a good pic if handled well all the way down the line. But there's nothing in the concept itself, or the synopsis, that jumps out, you know?

"...a teenage girl who after developing a relationship with a troubled teenage boy tries to break free of him. But things become complicated when she discovers she is pregnant."

Where's the conflict? What's the hook? How is this different than a thousand other pics in the same vein? What happens when she tries to break free? "Things become complicated." Well, that's not exactly an enticement for someone to spend a few million bucks and a couple years making a film.

I'm just being honest here.

best,

-Charles

Oh no! So many replies and I don't have time right now to respond to them. Don't I feel like a chump lol.

Thanks every one, there's so many wonderful people on here, I love you all to bits :D

When I get home I'll actually reply properly to every one's comments, but I just wanted to say thanks straight away :) <3

"Then we go the present where Hennley is 43. ...Echo has been dead for almost 20 years."​

See, I hate when films do this. You just took away hope. What's the point in continuing to watch/read? You just killed off one of the lovers in the second scene. And left the first one middle aged. You're losing points left and right with the audience.

I didn't actually read the rest.

When will the script be finished?

:) Yay thank you. I'm not sure, I sort of just work on it when I have the time and motivation lol

Sounds like you're doing handling the type of story the right way, which is concentrating on the characters more than the events around them.

A word of advice: A lot of movies like this end up using a lot of exposition to try and show you what the characters are feeling. Use little everyday actions in an effective way to show Hennley's mood and it will be notch higher than the other movies immediately.

I've been trying to consciously do that, and in my revision and editing I've been looking for exposition and trying to put the feelings into actions and stuff. Hopefully I'm doing it well :D Thanks

Is this something you are thinking of shooting yourself?

That said, it is important for us (as writers) to keep an audience in mind while keeping our own goals in check. The hope is to entertain on some level, right? Maybe ask yourself (and answer if you can) a few questions like:

1) What do I connect with in the films I like most?
2) What, in films, makes me laugh, cry or contemplate?
3) How can I take my good idea and mold it enough so that it is as unique as it will ever be?
4) What is it, in its basic element, about my idea/story that gets me excited about sharing it with others?
5) Am I writing this for me or for many others? And if the former, what am I learning from the experience? If the latter, how will I entertain and enlighten an audience hungry for good storytelling?
6) etc...

There's no way I could ever let any one else make this, it's far too personal. I'm like that with all my writing lol.
Aah, those are good questions :D I'm gonna write them in my notebook for this script, thanks.

I really like the ambiguity of your title. 'Hennley's Echo", both her first love and her experiences with him which have colored, influenced, and *rippled* through a quarter century, ie Echo's echo.

Yay, I'm glad someone gets it, my boyfriend didn't lol. Thank you <3

It sounds like there is a lot of potential. I really like this story.

I think the overall arc has a lot of room for personal conflicts and thus, good drama.
I like the main character. She is flawed in a way that too many female leads are not. You haven't sheltered her at all and I really love that.

My concerns would be the following

Zac and Echo seem to be one note characters without an arc of their own. Echo is just bad, Zac is just good. Zac sounds like he isn't even introduced until the 3rd act which concerns me.

Hennley doesn't sound like she grows in the story it sounds like she grew at some point between the flashback and the present. The whole begining of the movie she seems to be growing up and coming of age only to end with her having an immature fling still getting hustled by men. It undoes everything she's worked for the entire film. In the present she is too grown up to care. Where was the transition?

I think the story is inspired and could be a great coming of age tale if handled delicately, but I think you need a beat sheet first. Figure out the archetecture of your story. Where are the turns and what changes in each? I think you'll find the end needs work.

If you have that done already I think it would help to see it.

Yeah, I thought about it after I read that and was like 'hey, he's right' lol. I think I might put some more scenes in with Zac so he becomes more of a character and less of a tool.

As for Echo though, there's some parts I didn't describe that I think show the goodness in him.

What you say about Hennley growing makes sense too, I'm thinking about ways to fix that :) Thanks <3

I guess that what I'm trying to say is "okay, that's a nice story, but what does it mean?" After having read your synopsis I don't know what the meaning is to the characters and why I should care. What is the revelation that turns her around, and why is Zac willing to accept her? In fact, what drove her into the downward spiral to begin with?

After reading what I've just typed I'm not even sure why I'm posting it, except that's how I feel at the moment.

Lol, good point. Just like with what Jeremy said, after reading it, I realised that's true. I think I'll add a few scenes that will hopefully fix it. I've got a vague idea lol. Thanks :)

Insert: Is this something you're writing just for yourself? For practice? Or you want to shoot it yourself in the future?

Or is it something you'd like to sell to someone else?

I really don't have any expectations that I'm ever going to go anywhere with film making, but if this was ever to be made, I would want to be the one doing it. Even if it doesn't get made, writing it is kind of cathartic, so that's something :) Thanks <3

Yes, I have to agree. Good title when placed in context of the story you're trying to tell.

But I have to admit, I needed to go back and read it a few times to get the relationships clear in my mind. Your brief synopsis seemed disjointed. For the synopsis, perhaps skip the skipping through time and tell it in a linear fashion. She's 20, then she's 43, then she's 16, then she's 20, and then she's 43 again. Did I get that right?

Maybe take the "Echo" to its literal extreme in the structure. Memories are loud, then fade. 43, then 20, then 16, and again 43, 20, 16... Just brainstorming out loud here.

Is the story worth pursuing? Yes, absolutely.

:cheers:

Back