• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this even a good story?

Okay, here's the deal, I've been working on this screenplay for a few months, but the idea has been in my head for a long, long time. But looking at VPTurner's formula for a logline has given me pause for thought. How do I know if it's a good story? If people are going to enjoy it, be touched by it, learn from it, all that stuff. I think it's a good story, but maybe that's just because it's so personal to me.

If I give you guys like an overview of it, can you tell me if you think it's even worth continuing? (I don't wanna type it all out and then have no one respond to it lol)

I didn't bother reading the other post so sorry if i repeat some points.

To me its a decent story, but i attest to the philosophy that CHARACTER and THEME are the most important things to know about a screenplay before you write it.

You've worked out a decent framework, now fill it in.

I just posted a thread considering loglines that makes pretty much the same point.

"Then we go the present where Hennley is 43. ...Echo has been dead for almost 20 years."​

See, I hate when films do this. You just took away hope. What's the point in continuing to watch/read?

I strongly disagree. Crushing our hopes for a fairytale ending has been done a number of times in successful films. Bridges of Madison County, Citizen Kane, American Beauty, Braveheart, and An Education all did this in one way or another.

When all is said and done, it's about putting your vision onto the page in some shape or form then massaging it into something great. The creative process never ends... it's the snake that eats its tail. Get that first draft done and out there for feedback. Good luck!

Back