Indietalkers: How has indietalk evolved?

;)

My posts weren't THAT long.

or were they?

Sometimes I dunno when Indietalk is joking.

EDIT: brb gotta polish my awesomeness trophies.

Last edited:
Just a joke, I shortened your short post, oh well, joke failed.

I think rather than limiting the number of smileys in posts, you should limit the number of commas ;)

I'm serious about the smileys...

Haha!

Alrighty.

@Nick I personally like the amount of smileys.

p.s. Indie I'm serious about helping you with your album. You ever gonna reply? :(

Because I have not been here a LONG time (I think maybe 3 years), I was wondering about indietalk, just wondering not only with current indietalkers including those who have been here from the beginning, how has indietalk changed in your time here?
I don't think it's changed much.

I joined just about a year after it was founded - seven years now. I had
been checking it for about five months before I joined. The age of the
community has stayed about the same. The really young ones (say 14-17)
drift away quickly. But there are always new young people to join up as
they discover filmmaking.

Since this is the friendliest forum I have found, the young ones do tend
to stay longer. On most forums when a total noob asks "What is the best
camera?" they are usually told to search the forums or that the question
has been asked too many times. Here, there is always someone who will
answer - even if it's the 10th or 50th time.

And they come in waves. Summertime sees more new, young people as
does the end of the year - kids hoping for a camera for Christmas.

But really, I haven't seen any noticeable changes in seven years.

I don't believe in "evolution". I believe in Intelligent Design.

P.S. Gorilla, you can be as harsh on my videos as you want. My latest is in the screening room. :)

P.P.S. Nate, actually, you can make a movie without all that expensive stuff. It's incredibly difficult to compete with the big boys, but that doesn't mean that some good can't come out of it. All you need is one instance to prove that something can be done, and the Duplass bros. have done it.

To honestly answer the OP's question -- I dunno, I've only been here a little more than a year. This may be my imagination, but I feel like some people have become less active.

Last edited:
This is a valid point.

Its also the biggest dilemma for me. Should I be nice for the hobbyist or be harsh to better prepare filmmakers for their careers? It can't possibly be both because developing a tough skin is absolutely necessary if you want to make any money at all from your film projects.

Why can't you just speak the truth? Criticism is just criticism; it shouldn't have a level of harshness attached to it depending on the audience. If you see something terrible, explain why it's terrible. The poster can then decide whether to take your criticism or leave it.

Back