Indietalkers: How has indietalk evolved?

Because I have not been here a LONG time (I think maybe 3 years), I was wondering about indietalk, just wondering not only with current indietalkers including those who have been here from the beginning, how has indietalk changed in your time here?

I guess what I'm asking is, what sort things, be they trends, be they average age of new subscribers, be it content of film-what have you seen evolve in your time here?

I think for me, again I've been 2-3 years at most, the biggest thing I'm seeing is how YOUNG the filmmakers who are coming on here are-14, 15, 16? They're asking about cameras, equipment, they posting at times pretty solid stuff. There didn't seem to be as many when I first came on (and took forever to get the guts to put up Delivery Day lol), maybe I didn't see-but I'm seeing these young people coming in, and I'm happy to see it.

I also see how, even in my limited time, the exposure and availability of Cameras, Editing Software, sound equipment, how readliy available it is to the modern public and how they are putting that to use!

I'd be interested to hear others points of view :)

I'd like to see more films put up asking for critiques.

Last year I helped out quite a few people and it seems like this year it's gone down a bit and I wish I could help more people out with their soundtracks giving advice and critiques and such.

Oh well. Maybe I should retire. I'm getting too old for this.

Last year I helped out quite a few people and it seems like this year it's gone down a bit and I wish I could help more people out with their soundtracks giving advice and critiques and such.

That's interesting, I know I'm of and on the boards, so maybe I don't see it, but there seem to be a fair number of people putting stuff in the screening room (and of course the other thread asking about why more people don't post critiques! ;) )

But from what you are saying there aren't as many of them to critique. Well, "Showing Face" is apparently (according to my composer) going to get its score soon, so when that comes I'll be more than happy to ask your critique! ;)

We're stealing your ears very, very soon, ROC. So many things coming out this year.

*Why does it feel as though I haven't spoken to you in years?*

As for the OP.

I've only been here for just over a year, so not enough to cast any such comments on its history. But, as always, this forum remains the most pleasant/instructive on the net.

May it never change.

We're stealing your ears very, very soon, ROC. So many things coming out this year.

*Why does it feel as though I haven't spoken to you in years?*

As for the OP.

I've only been here for just over a year, so not enough to cast any such comments on its history. But, as always, this forum remains the most pleasant/instructive on the net.

May it never change.

I agree, that's one thing that's never changed-this is the most civil, courteous place I come to on the net. No one here is trying to "win" any argument, or putting down people ("trolling")-we all come from very different backgrounds but we all find common ground here. If there were more sites like this the net would be a better place all around. I hope it never changes either :)

@Papertwin I'm all ears! Can't wait to see what you've got.

@Tinalera Good. Let me know when you've got something.

@kinglis I'm still trying to figure out if that's your real pic as your avatar or not.

and re: the lack of films - it's not that there isn't much coming out on here but it's more the lack of asking for critiques. It seems like people just want their film to be seen and not critiqued upon and when I try to give advice it sometimes backfires so unless they ask for it in their post, I don't like to jump the gun and give it to them.

I've been here for almost precisely a year now and things have tended to ebb and flow in terms of activity.

I know I shouldn't admit it but my favourite times are when there's a really controversial thread and everyone is getting worked up. That's when you see how much Indietalkers really care about films and filmmaking ;)

I'm relatively new here, but relatively old to the business.

I'm sort of testing the waters here.

I believe more frank criticism is needed. The film business is ruthless and this forum doesn't reflect it. This can be both good and bad -- a nice place to hang out and get pat on the backs, yet people leave here ill-prepared for the harsh reality of the indie filmmaking world.

I understand the difficult situation this is for the forum owners and moderators -- more harsh criticism will improve the product and usefulness of the forum, whereas the current level of niceness generates more traffic, but a rather bland repetitive product.

What say you?

@Nick I think you're too young and missed the whole A-word episode. You would have liked that.

@GuerrillaAngel If you were to check out some of my previous critiques I was pretty harsh and let them know exactly what you stated there and I couldn't agree more about the industry's mallet-behind-the-back tactics.

@Nick I think you're too young and missed the whole A-word episode. You would have liked that.

I think I missed the worst/best of it but Cracker and I had an ol' fashioned tete-a-tete about it anyway.

And I don't even have a problem with [REDACTED]!

I believe more frank criticism is needed. The film business is ruthless and this forum doesn't reflect it. This can be both good and bad -- a nice place to hang out and get pat on the backs, yet people leave here ill-prepared for the harsh reality of the indie filmmaking world.

I understand the difficult situation this is for the forum owners and moderators -- more harsh criticism will improve the product and usefulness of the forum, whereas the current level of niceness generates more traffic, but a rather bland repetitive product.

What say you?

I was thinking the same thoughts..

@Op I just realized why I stuck around this forum and that's because there are a few people on here who really, REALLY know their stuff (I can name names but, nah) and I enjoy just casual talk where I can be anonymous and no-one has a preconceived idea about who you are and what you've worked on and I can help people out and give them sound advice as well as receive advice on my own hobbyist filmmaking from those who are extremely knowledgable in the field. It's actually a kind of breath of fresh air after having worked on some of the projects that I have.

And I think it's due to the fact that there seems to be a core group of members who really know what the f they are talking about and I can glean advice and knowledge from and they can hopefully glean from me - good exchange I think.

What say you?

I admit I haven't been around other film sites, but what strikes about the people who come here come from many walks, but also there's a wide variety reasons: Yes there are people who come here who really want to make it in the film industry, and I can see how that would fit. However there are also people who do it for simply art/experession sake (I fall into that category) where honestly, I make my stuff to learn and be better, and also to just express. There are hobbyists here who do what they do for the love of it and if they can make some money at it, that's just gravy on top of it all.

I guess for me, the emphasis here is LEARNING and camradarie (sp)-everyone here likes to make films, discuss films, get feedback on their projects, but it's all very laid back; yes there are some people here who are trying to "make it" into the film industry, but there are also people here who have a 9-5 job, come home and work on their projects in some spare time, and generally enjoy just the whole experience of filmmaking.

People have varying reasons for being on these forums, and not all of them are all pursuing the film industry hardcore-that's my experience anyway.

I guess in short, the focus and success of this site isn't based on making dollars in the film industry-as much as just a love of filmmaking, whether it's art, it's hobby, it's trying to make it in the industry, or anywhere in between :)

Last edited:
@Op I just realized why I stuck around this forum and that's because there are a few people on here who really, REALLY know their stuff (I can name names but, nah) and I enjoy just casual talk where I can be anonymous and no-one has a preconceived idea about who you are and what you've worked on and I can help people out and give them sound advice as well as receive advice on my own hobbyist filmmaking from those who are extremely knowledgable in the field. It's actually a kind of breath of fresh air after having worked on some of the projects that I have.

And I think it's due to the fact that there seems to be a core group of members who really know what the f they are talking about and I can glean advice and knowledge from and they can hopefully glean from me - good exchange I think.

I agree, I have learned SO MUCH about movie making from some very knowledgeable people (you're one of them ROC :) ) on this site, and I have never felt any question I've asked, like it was a "stupid question".

Really, it's a great gathering of ideas, advice, and just plain hanging around good people who all have a passion for film in whatever form it is. We all have something to offer, and we do offer it, and learn from others in due course :)

"I believe more frank criticism is needed. The film business is ruthless and this forum doesn't reflect it. This can be both good and bad -- a nice place to hang out and get pat on the backs, yet people leave here ill-prepared for the harsh reality of the indie filmmaking world.

I understand the difficult situation this is for the forum owners and moderators -- more harsh criticism will improve the product and usefulness of the forum, whereas the current level of niceness generates more traffic, but a rather bland repetitive product."

I was just posting this same thought on the thread I just left:)

I admit I haven't been around other film sites, but what strikes about the people who come here come from many walks, but also there's a wide variety reasons: Yes there are people who come here who really want to make it in the film industry, and I can see how that would fit. However there are also people who do it for simply art/experession sake (I fall into that category) where honestly, I make my stuff to learn and be better, and also to just express. There are hobbyists here who do what they do for the love of it and if they can make some money at it, that's just gravy on top of it all.

I guess for me, the emphasis here is LEARNING and camradarie (sp)-everyone here likes to make films, discuss films, get feedback on their projects, but it's all very laid back; yes there are some people here who are trying to "make it" into the film industry, but there are also people here who have a 9-5 job, come home and work on their projects in some spare time, and generally enjoy just the whole experience of filmmaking.

People have varying reasons for being on these forums, and not all of them are all pursuing the film industry hardcore-that's my experience anyway.

I guess in short, the focus and success of this site isn't based on making dollars in the film industry-as much as just a love of filmmaking, whether it's art, it's hobby, it's trying to make it in the industry, or anywhere in between :)

WOW

Back