• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

IndieTalk screenwriting contest?

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
If you would like to have some sort of screenwriting contest, post your ideas here. :)

Hi Poke.

Why would one type of contest need to replace the other? This thread is pretty old and nothing has been started.

What I propose is a legitimate Screenwriting Contest which would be recognized by the entire industry. A Contest that IndiTalk could be proud to sponsor if they so choose.

What you are suggesting is more real time fun and games. I see no need for one to replace the other, both can co-exist.

When do you think we can get each of these contests started? If never, I can live with that, the whole idea of my post is to get something started.

Satire

Screenplay contest...

I like the idea of a screenplay contest... Lots of great education could come from it. If this was somehow going to be a legit contest recognized by the entire industry, I would think some pretty decent prizes and some kind of industry connections would have to be part of the prize... At least for the winner. This could be difficult. I was thinking that "maybe" the overall winner could be treated to an InkTip.com upload that normally costs $40 but short scripts are free to upload anyway... So would this be for short scripts, features, or both. If both, they would have to be judged differently.

If it is going to be a short script challenge, then I like the idea that was implemented in the film contest i.e., a certain prop and/or line of dialogue...

Could be cool... I'm willing to help out in any way I can...

EDIT: Another thing... If it is a short script contest, maybe the winner could get his short script produced by someone... Just a thought. I know that would have to be worked out but it sounds interesting...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi FilmJumper:

Good ideas! maybe it is time we turn all these ideas over to IndieTalk who started this thread in 2003 and have him select 7 or more judges that will not be contestants to start the contest. Your ideas and Poke's ideas could all be combined with the ideas of others to come up with a variable tiered contest.

For example:

Best Screenplay Short.

Best Screenplay Full length

Best NYCmidnight type contest where someone dictates the opening lines, etc.

It is pretty difficult to deal with formal prizes if there are no entrance fees, so while we are learning on this first pass, why not waive prizes and fees? Maybe a small prize like shooting one scene from the winning scripts could be handled if we could find a way to pay for it. The contest gets complicated when money is needed.

It was nice of you to volunteer to help IndieTalk.

Satire

Last edited:
I think tho start with we are gonna need to go with more of an ITOOFC approach to it rather than accept feature length scripts or the first ten pages of a feature. Finding 7 or more judges to read a bunch of feature length scripts and critique them in a short amount of time is a large task considering I only got three other judges (beside myself) for the ITOOFC. And submitting only ten pages isn't the true measure of a script.

I will get this ball rolling immediately after the ITOOFC is over. The mods will talk it out and discuss the guidlines and the prizes in more depth.

Poke

Send me $35 and I'll read your first 10 pages, for sure!
smiley_pac.gif

Satire said:
Poke:

Doesn't look too promising! Check out: http://www.scsfe.com/events/competition.aspx

Satire

I'm sorry, but the first ten pages of a script are not a true measure of a script. A ton of people can write a great set up. Keeping the greatness level up during the entire 110 pages is what makes a great script.

There are more than a few script comps that judge on the first act or first ten pages, but I don't think we should go that route. But of course, this thread is for discussion, so if other members feel we should judge on the first ten pages let us know.

And like Zen pointed out, that comp you linked to requires a fee. I'd like to keep away from that for the time being.

I was thinking earlier, another option for us is to have a deadline, let those judges pick the finalists, and let the members choose the winner. If this were the case, we'd have maybe a three week period where the judges picked the final five or ten, then a two week voting period for the members to read and vote for the finalists.

I'm personally quite happy with a short script competition. We don't need anything fancy for rewards etc. Just the critique itself would be well worth the time.

Short script competition...

Shaw said:
I'm personally quite happy with a short script competition. We don't need anything fancy for rewards etc. Just the critique itself would be well worth the time.

I'd have to agree on a short script competition... A feature script i.e., 96 to 120 pages would simply take too long for the average person to write unless you give them a minimum of 3 months... Even then, we're talking first draft here...

The only problem with a short script competition is in how you judge them... Obviously, they can't be judged in the same way a feature script is judged... At least that's my opinion... There are similarities but short scripts almost have to be better than feature scripts (again, my opinion) because of their short duration... They really need to get a point across quickly, command some type of theme, have a punchline, etc... Quite different from your average feature length script...

I would think that some kind of actual judging guideline should be drawn up... Specifically, for short script judging. That would make judging go quickly... I have some guidelines used for feature scripts and some for short scripts (for competition judging) however, I don't actually agree with either... A blend of the two would be better (based on what I have of course).

A short script competition makes more sense because I think entrants would actually have a shot at completing them on time...

My two cents... LOL.

filmy

Hi Zensteve:

Ha! We all would be willing to read 10 pages for $35.00, especially if is double spaced and in screenplay format.

I have often wondered in these major contests where 1000 or more screenplays are entered for a fee sometimes as high as $50.00 to $75.00, do they they make a judgement to continue to read after the first 10 pages or not?

I have no doubt they read the entire screenplay on the winners, because the judges reputations are at stake.

Satire

Shaw said:

Hi Shaw:

I agree, the critique itself would be well worth the time.

Satire

Hi Poke:

"And like Zen pointed out, that comp you linked to requires a fee. I'd like to keep away from that for the time being."

I sure agree with that statement. No fees. We are making progress!

Satire

Forgot about this thread...

Boz Uriel said:
Wow, forgot about this thread...

Not sure if it's a good idea or not...

Assuming this could be worked out, what if the grand prize was a production of the short script? Of course someone would have to step up to make this happen but assuming the script is GOOD, I can see it benefitting both parties i.e., a finished production with a good story.

Just thinking out loud mind you...

filmy

Looks like we're moving ahead on this...

indietalk said:
I'll talk to the Screenwriting Guru. ;)
Looks like we're moving ahead on this competition... I'm currently working out the details with indietalk as well as banging out the rules.

Having said that...

This IS IndieTalk... Please submit your suggestions to this thread.

Also, is anyone else out there willing and capable of producing a winning short screenplay? Seems like we should have a back up or two...

My thinking thus far is that the scripts should be free of special effects and rely on STORY.

filmy

Back