• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

IndieTalk screenwriting contest?

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
If you would like to have some sort of screenwriting contest, post your ideas here. :)

Most definately

I would most definatelty love to see you guys host a screenwriting contest. I would participate regardless of the prizes involved if indeed there are any. I think that if you had reviewers actually post reviews on the site that would also be cool.
Maybe if you were to just set up a place where screenplays can be read and commented on by other filmmakers would be cool (so long as people are serious about it). I think that you might be able to nip Triggerstreet in the bud with that one. I don't particularly like their little set up. I would like to ask one thing though, please don't completely ignore fan film screenplays. Technically they do count and they should be acknowledged.

Perhaps the first contestant,
William J Long III

Contest or Just a Place to Post

I would love to be able to get in on a screenplay contest that doesn't come with the freakin' million lbs of rules that Project Greenlight or Triggerstreet come with. I'd equally love to be able to post a faeture length script to be critiqued.

Poke

If there was a contest, I personally would like it to be nothing like PGL or Trigger Street. I'd rather have it be a standard screenplay contest, judged by experienced indie filmmakers, who would give coverage of your script no matter where you finished. I hate paying good $$$ just to get a form-rejection letter in the mail... feedback and insight make rejection more palatable.

- Mike.

Hehe. Ah well it still is a good idea :D

I'd enter. I'm not very good at writing screenplays. I'm too much of a perfectionist. This would help me be a little more spontaneous.

Writting contest, sweeeeeeeeeeet, consider me in too.

Here's a thought, maybe not a contest but more like an experiment. The winning screen play gets made into a film by as many different directors as want to try it. Just to see how different directors make films. I think that would be a riot.

Funny you should mention that, back in november a mate of mine peter did the exact same concept except on stage. It was one script, with the characters being gender inspecific and the dialogue very vague and open for interpretation. Then he cast me in 3 principal roles (i liked that part). and a bunch of other local actors. And we put the same (one act) play on 6 times in one night. With each director it became so different. It was a great idea. But i think more suited to the stage.

I think that a contest would be great... or at least a critique.
Although you must all know that by placing your scripts online, they are public.
That's one of the reasons I haven't put a script online.
I have a couple shorts I'd enter or just one, but won't be entering a feature.
BUT that's just me, I work for an IT security firm and do social engineering and that... So I see what people CAN do... Man what is meesa say'n... GO FOR IT! Scriptwriting Contest...
ITS Contest 01!!!!

it in no way should be the scripts that people are hoping to make their lives from, just little scripts maybe, ones where they have learned 'their voice' etc.
like a 4 page conversation revolving around the theme of ........whatever.
just to home our talents and improve ourselves and have a few giggles..
it only takes like, what, say 30mins to write it (at most), and whoever wins one, could pick the theme for the next, or perhaps they could even pick the opening two lines, or the situation, or the setting etc
whatever that sets up a little challenge for ourselves...

Last edited:
I like that..

if it's a contest then there's rules right.. there has to be a base right..

Like the film contest, this should be the same...

Character: Col Mustered
Prop: Rope
Genre: Murder Mystery :evil:

then write away.. a let's say 5 to 15 page script...

That's a cool way to go about it.. Cool Zoolio! :clap:

absolutely. we are all human afterall. hopefully, if not in the midst of essay deadlines, exam timetables and telephoning relatives i will be able to join in on the action in this one.

Back