I'm building technology to help filmmakers limit their risk

We are building a free insights tool to help Film-makers, Financiers, and Distributors, like us, to find answers to difficult questions:

• Which projects to back, when & how?
• Which partners to work with?
• How is my title performing?
• Am I maximising lifetime value?

We have taken £2m in investment to build an AI insights technology that’s analysing millions of data points to provide these insights

Get a free analysis - worth $800 - here : https://tinyurl.com/2obrghz5

It's an interesting idea.

Creative people make mistakes and create and back movies audiences
don't like. But they also surprise audiences often by making movies exec's
did not believe in. Exec's who looked at all the statistics.

Everyone reading this can bring up a dozen examples.

I wonder if AI and data points can come close to the instincts of
creative people...

It's an interesting idea.

Creative people make mistakes and create and back movies audiences
don't like. But they also surprise audiences often by making movies exec's
did not believe in. Exec's who looked at all the statistics.

Everyone reading this can bring up a dozen examples.

I wonder if AI and data points can come close to the instincts of
creative people...

I like the way CAA's Chief Data Officer puts it AI = Augmented Intuition

I'd love to run a project for you for free to see if we can augment your intuition!

If you're up for it! https://tinyurl.com/2obrghz5

I'm curious if this is simply an algorithm (data in, result out) or actual AI (machine learning)?

"Generally, an algorithm takes some input and uses mathematics and logic to produce the output. In stark contrast, an Artificial Intelligence Algorithm takes a combination of both – inputs and outputs simultaneously in order to “learn” the data and produce outputs when given new inputs."

Can you expound upon the technology?

We have taken £2m in investment to build an AI insights technology that’s analysing millions of data points to provide these insights
The reason I ask is what you posted is an algorithm.

I understand how AI works, and have built and trained and used many over the years, and it could be useful, kind of. I would imagine the issue is that a machine would do pretty much exactly what an executive would do. It can aggregate and analyze data, predict trends, but ultimately I would imagine it having the same problem that we have with the current decision makers. Basically, the major flaw in entertainment funding is the tendency to try and repeat successes of the past. We call it "Sequelitus" and a few other names, but this is the major failure of Hollywood businessmen. It just boils down to a lack of imagination, an issue current gen AI certainly shares.

The issue is that popular art follows a different ruleset than basically every other type of business. The single strongest positive factor an artwork can have is novelty, but you can't do math or train AI models on events that haven't happened yet. I could be wrong, I don't know exactly how this system works, but I think unless the AI can recognize which ideas are "fresh", we are just talking about replacing the network robots with literal network robots. There are aspects it probably can predict pretty well, like what is the marketability of a picture combining star x and star y. There are still a lot of questions, like can the AI differentiate between how much audiences want to see a Tom Holland and Zendaya romcom, vs a sci fi film starring the two. I don't mean cross indexing data about the popularity of romcoms this year with the popularity of Zendaya this year, I mean the much harder to pin down question of what types of roles audiences would be excited to see them play.

Perhaps you guys have really done something amazing here, I'm just skeptical, because in example the last AI business that came through here was just a dumb cash grab, soliciting huge investment from easily deceived investors who still think AI is a type of magic. People have been showing a tendency to just slap on any AI functionality, hype investors with buzzwords, collect millions up front, and then provide placebo grade information in return. In the case I'm referring to, money was raised to create an AI script writing platform, but instead of actually building that, they just slaved a GPT3 clone to manufacture random text and parrot formatting, which is a super dumb and useless function, the main purpose of which was to enable fundraisers to say they had a script bot, and raise millions, before anyone realized that they had just sold something utterly useless for millions of dollars of up front cash.

Here's my test question for you. Would your AI recommend that Schindler's list be funded, if given a choice between that and Gigli? One is a long and depressing film about innocent children being murdered, mostly in black and white, the other is about two popular celebrities, one with current hits on the billboard 100. Which film would your AI pick to be financed? Sorry if any of this sounds confrontational, that's not my intent, it's just that I have some pretty serious questions about how genuinely beneficial some of these AI systems will be, even if they work exactly as intended.

My biggest concern would be enslaving all creators to an algorithm, where the goal shifted from being creative or pleasing the audience, to pleasing the algorithm. If you don't understand what has happened in these situations, you might find this video of interest. To all my fellow content creators, here is who is beating you into poverty, and how, and it's all based around pleasing a robot. Who is the indie filmmaker that makes 250k a week now that the algorithm decides what we watch? It's the dumbest, least talented, sex fetish hawking, child pandering, cover song playing people in the world, with a robot sending them more money than Stravinsky or Kubrick ever made. Anyway, be careful with your robots, because there's significant evidence that reducing creativity to an automated state produces absolutely terrible results. This video is really more terrifying than educational. Someone wrote a symphony this week, and youtube's robot basically told them cleanup in isle 3, and then sent millions of dollars to people stepping on balloons barefoot until they pop. Now we have a teenager playing a bad cover of "Achy Breaky heart" and the bot gave them enough money to build a skyscraper, and somewhere, there's a person smart enough to build a skyscraper, and the bot sent them enough money to do a cover of "Achy Breaky Heart" Pretty stupid, and that's the best funded algorithm on the planet.

I've had plenty of exec's analyze data and use it to augment my scripts.
Sure, it takes a long time but the data was all there, I'll off the most extreme
example I experienced:

I had a zombie western. This was just before “Walking Dead” exploded the
zombie genre. All the data showed audiences didn't want zombie movies.
And westerns were not terribly popular. But the analysis suggested that if
I removed the zombie element the script had potential of attracting the
right talent.

Now we'll never know because the movie wasn't made but I suspect if I
had pitched the same script one year later – when AMC made zombies
popular again – the data would have shown that people were open to
zombies but maybe not a western.

But the project was my passion. And there were several ProdCo's interested
over the years, but I never got it green-lit at the budget I needed. I had no
interest in the intuition of a numbers crunching, statistic following exec with
no imagination. I needed someone to take a risk on creative intuition.

As Nate said, this might be an amazing tool. But can it show that something
that has never been done before might touch an audience in an unknown,
unexpected way? Would this AI have seen the lifetime value of the
$125,000 "Night of the Living Dead"?

Would this AI have seen the lifetime value of the
$125,000 "Night of the Living Dead"
No.

AI is fine for some things. I like the idea of AI greenscreen ( Mask AI by Topaz) or some of the new AI mocap solutions available but this thread brings up one of great problems with modern film making; people are trying to guess or calculate what will make a hit movie instead of making a movie that someone is actually passionate about. Richard Zanuck must have appeared as a mad man for greenlighting Arthor Jacobs' Planet of the Apes in 1968. There was no data to suggest such a film would make money, but Jacobs believed in the project. So did Charlton Heston ... and so did Richard Zanuck. James Cameron had to fight to keep Titanic going when the executives wanted to pull the plug for going too far over budget. Can you imagine that? 20th Century Fox was so doubtful of Star Wars IV they had plans of cutting into 20 minute segments then showing in on Saturday mornings with the rest of the kids programming. These 3 films were made for the right reasons; passion and "I make films that I would like to see" attitude, not because an equation said they were going to be hits.

People use superlative words pretty freely these days. I would question whether your script truly would have been augmented by removing the zombies. It seems to be that the Walking Dead was exactly that, a zombie western. It might have been set in modern times, but Rick Grimes was a character straight out of a pulp western by LL or similar. No judgements, Picard was just Horatio Hornblower in a "future suit"

I think business funding suffers from the fallacy of manifest destiny type thinking. A logical fallacy where things that are funded work better than things that are not, and then things executives thought would work retroactively become part of a statistical pattern that seems to re enforce the opinions of whoever had money, rather than genuinely reflect what course of action would have been best.

Who is a better writer? Quintin Tarentino or M Night Shamylan? I think that if Reservoir Dogs got pitched the year after Night plagiarized the sixth sense, the AI would say that he should be funded instead of Quintin. Can AI track numbers, sure, but can it factor in things like deception, flukes, luck, nepotism, etc. Can your system help to create a better world, or just double down on the tire fire we currently call a fair contest.

How will you stop your AI from constantly recommending that people who are already rich are not always viewed as more talented than anyone who has been denied a single opportunity to even try? It's kind of a major problem worldwide. Taylor Swift is pretty good right? She sings well, looks good, and writes songs people like. So she's the best and deserves 100000000000000 times the money per day as a singer without even one hit right? Your AI would almost certainly say so. Did you know that the record company that signed her was owned by........ her dad? She got 1000x the opportunity to succeed as others, but would that information be included in the AI's analysis, or would it just draw the erroneous conclusion that people from wealthy families produce all the hits. That is what the tale of the tape would say from a cursory analysis. This is the farthest thing in the world from an isolated case. Bill Gates became one of the worlds richest tech moguls, after pitching his ultra lucrative first contract to....... his mom, who was personal friends with members of the board of IBM. The one star movie "White Chicks" returned a huge profit (after being handed 37 million up front) but Van Gough never made 5 bucks off of Starry Night. Who would the AI point to to hand that next big check to? Are the Wayans brothers literally millions of times as talented as Van Gough at creating art?, because that's what the numbers say.

Last edited:
We are building a free insights tool to help Film-makers, Financiers, and Distributors, like us, to find answers to difficult questions:
So will it be free or $800 a pop? Your website says the evaluation is an $800 value. But your mantra is a free tool.

This could easily be a good tool for the toolbox. As in, adding to the already present due diligence.

How will you stop your AI from constantly recommending that people who are already rich are not always viewed as more talented than anyone who has been denied a single opportunity to even try? It's kind of a major problem worldwide. Taylor Swift is pretty good right? She sings well, looks good, and writes songs people like. So she's the best and deserves 100000000000000 times the money per day as a singer without even one hit right? Your AI would almost certainly say so. Did you know that the record company that signed her was owned by........ her dad? She got 1000x the opportunity to succeed as others, but would that information be included in the AI's analysis, or would it just draw the erroneous conclusion that people from wealthy families produce all the hits. That is what the tale of the tape would say from a cursory analysis. This is the farthest thing in the world from an isolated case. Bill Gates became one of the worlds richest tech moguls, after pitching his ultra lucrative first contract to....... his mom, who was personal friends with members of the board of IBM. The one star movie "White Chicks" returned a huge profit (after being handed 37 million up front) but Van Gough never made 5 bucks off of Starry Night. Who would the AI point to to hand that next big check to? Are the Wayans brothers literally millions of times as talented as Van Gough at creating art?, because that's what the numbers say.

I understand the point youre trying to make here but...

Given the choice to work with a more talented singer/songwriter or taylor swift who should you choose?
The answer is in fact - taylor swift. Because she has so much history and fanbase that if you make a song with her you're going to be exposed to millions and millions of people and make tons of money.

You would have to either be pretty stupid or extremely idealistic to make the choice that youre not gonna create a song with taylor swift and go with some unknown artist instead. taylor swift song is practically a guarantee!!

You seem to be making the point that the AI should tell you to NOT make the song with taylor swift but thats nuts.
The point of this AI is to tell you what path should get you the most money - and taylor swift is definitely that path

Last edited:
Man this guy has to come back and answer 400 questions and read Nate's novel 😂

sorry, had to post this, sorry for off topic post

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

The only way this stuff "works" is with proven success. It's not the AI, it's not the calculations, it's the success. So we won't know for 5 years anyway.

The only way this stuff "works" is with proven success. It's not the AI, it's not the calculations, it's the success. So we won't know for 5 years anyway.
Yeah not everybody wants to make genius smash hit out of left field, some people just want to mitigate their risk and create a commodity that can sell

I understand the point youre trying to make here but...

Given the choice to work with a more talented singer/songwriter or taylor swift who should you choose?
The answer is in fact - taylor swift. Because she has so much history and fanbase that if you make a song with her you're going to be exposed to millions and millions of people and make tons of money.

You would have to either be pretty stupid or extremely idealistic to make the choice that youre not gonna create a song with taylor swift and go with some unknown artist instead. taylor swift song is practically a guarantee!!

You seem to be making the point that the AI should tell you to NOT make the song with taylor swift but thats nuts.
The point of this AI is to tell you what path should get you the most money - and taylor swift is definitely that path
Racing to the bottom line is what creates most of the vicious cycles in our world, and that phenomenon, more than any one other thing, is what is ruining life for billions of people.

You are correct, in pursuit of an entirely self centered goal, such as making as much money as fast as possible, you can just ignore right and wrong and take money as fast as you can grab it.

My comments are geared towards making people think about the bigger picture that is constantly ignored, which is that profiteering from lazy vicious cycles is great for the individual, and bad for the group. It's also the single strongest marker for identifying a psychopath.

I understand your point completely, and it's of course valid, but I'm at a point of outright rage at the way our society propels psychopaths and sociopaths to the top of the pecking order. Yes, you make more money when you just don't give a flying fuck who gets hurt, but at some point we need to start thinking on a more sophisticated ethical level as a society, and perhaps become more willing to deprioritize our own greed in comparison to what's good for humanity as a whole. I'm not the only person who thinks this way, thank god.

You'll start to question the system too, once Jaden Smith gets paid 200 million dollars for a movie he invented next year about a little girl who becomes an assassin and goes on a quest for revenge at Christmas. You can say, "but that was my idea" and someone clueless will sneer at you and say "I have 200 million reasons to think otherwise" You see the problem with that system right? People who say "we don't need things to be fair" are complete idiots, who are simply too lazy and stupid to think of a better way than the path of least resistance.

If you have kids, you'll be a lot richer if you just take them out in the back yard and shoot them. So why don't we do that? It's because there's more important things in life than just taking everything for yourself. Sometimes you need to put the welfare of others first. Those kids deserve a fair chance at life just as much as you did. That should be obvious. That's what child support is about. When a selfish person decides that they need a sports car more than they need to take their kids to the doctor, we have rules to force them to act unselfishly, when it is clear that they don't have the moral character to make basic decisions like this on their own. We don't have those rules in business, and we've turned the best country in the history of the world into a caste system clusterfuck over the last 40 years, one stupid, selfish, lazy, greedy, step at a time.

What's my brilliant answer? Sports. You test people, see who plays the game the best, and then pay the people who are most talented and work hardest at the job. Look at the NBA, do you see a bunch of short white kids with family money fumbling the ball? No, it's people that can actually play. That's all I want from the film industry, or the music industry. Just a meritocratic system where work and talent are rewarded above caste markers such as "can my dad afford to buy the record company"

Yeah not everybody wants to make genius smash hit out of left field, some people just want to mitigate their risk and create a commodity that can sell
Commodity? Like a car or a bike or a dinning room chair? I suppose that means a good book is just a commodity too.

Back