tv If you could remake a movie/tv show.

Okay, you've been given carte blanche money wise to direct/produce whatever roles you choose to do one movie or tv series as a movie that makes you say "DAMN I could something with this with today's technologies in film". You do it the way you want to, without anyone else putting pressure on your creative flow.

You can pick any one you want, regardless of reason.

So, saying that-my choice is an 80's tv series that ran one season.

I would want to do "Street Hawk". Forget this "guy saving the day with klutzy govt agent" film, I would do a darker film, that plays on a vigilante on a motorcycle (forget lasers and whatnot, just machine guns) taking the law into his own hands. The story could maybe play out that he's actually a rogue agent from a govt program that went south (alt Bourne Identity). Could do some really nice chase scenes(forget the unrealistic turbo 500 mph stuff, the guy can just flat out RIDE in the film at realistic(yet high) speeds).

The trick would be making a good character based story, with the motorcycle as an addition, not the main attraction. Maybe work an identity subplot into the story.

I would remake Heroes S2-S4. S1 was just the perfect intro but after that it was the same thing week in and week out the Petrelli power hour.

Things I would do:
1)Get rid of the Petrelli power hour.
2)Not kill off most of the char they did.
3)Have the "Taskmaster" type chick from New Orleans a bigger part than she did.
4)Make up original/under used power types.
5)Kill off Clarie from S2-S4 and only use her in flash backs.
6)Have the villains win so the heroes have to fight back.
7)Non-powered people would have known about the Powered People since mid S2.
8)Bring in some top comic book writers.

So many to choose from... however if I had my choice I would love to do a Doctor Who episode (or two). I really like that series, especially when Tom Baker (Fav), Peter Davison, and David Tennant where the doctors. Not so sure of this new guy, still expect a good series, but likely less convincing than the others (I didn't feel he sold the whole "I'm the Doctor" thing in the first episode).

On that note - what is up with TorchWood? Good idea, really bad execution in my opinion. Maybe I would remake torch wood because it seriously needs it.

Hm. I would've done Avatar: The Last Airbender, but M. Night Shyamalon already has that one. My second choice would have to be a live action Danny Phantom movie. The effects would be incredible in live action and there's never been a ghost/superhero story like that.

As for a remake of a movie I'd like to do a remake of Beauty and the Beast (the original French version from the 30's) or a remake of Godzilla. B&B would be true to its Gothic origins and be based in the Romantic era in France. Godzilla would be a modern update and focus more on genetic modifying in addition to nuclear awareness, and be rolled up into more of a political thriller. And the G-man would be truer to its original look than Emmerich's crap film.

It would have to be Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.

The recent television miniseries remake was horrendous. (An excellent Number Two & cast, though)

It was my life-long dream to reboot STAR TREK, but JJ Abrahms beat me to it! The other show I want to do is a movie version of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN

I would remake Heroes S2-S4. S1 was just the perfect intro but after that it was the same thing week in and week out the Petrelli power hour.

Things I would do:
1)Get rid of the Petrelli power hour.
2)Not kill off most of the char they did.
3)Have the "Taskmaster" type chick from New Orleans a bigger part than she did.
4)Make up original/under used power types.
5)Kill off Clarie from S2-S4 and only use her in flash backs.
6)Have the villains win so the heroes have to fight back.
7)Non-powered people would have known about the Powered People since mid S2.
8)Bring in some top comic book writers.

Spoiler tags maybe? Some of us haven't seen that show yet....

I would love to adapt Stranger in a Strange Land for film.

Time Enough for Love would be awesome, too, but really hard to write for the screen...

I would remake Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, that's really where George Lucas screwed up.

I'd make Anakin older, much older, maybe what his age was in Episode 3, stop him being that "Sweet and Innocent" child, I'd make him gruffer and rebelious, have a scene with him angry and Qui-Gon Jinns death.

I'd also lose the politicial storyline, keep it more as a backstory, a bit like with Episode 4 in which the Rebellion was a backstory but the story focused on the little team.

Make the Romance plot less fairytale and more realistic and of course, HIRE A BETTER ACTOR than HAYDEN AND NATALIE!

It's funny, when I was little I loved those films and defended them when everyone told me they were bad, watching them now at 17 I now agree with them

Last edited:
I would remake Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, that's really where George Lucas screwed up.

I'd make Anakin older, much older, maybe what his age was in Episode 3, stop him being that "Sweet and Innocent" child, I'd make him gruffer and rebelious, have a scene with him angry and Qui-Gon Jinns death.

I'd also lose the politicial storyline, keep it more as a backstory, a bit like with Episode 4 in which the Rebellion was a backstory but the story focused on the little team.

Make the Romance plot less fairytale and more realistic and of course, HIRE A BETTER ACTOR than HAYDEN AND NATALIE!

It's funny, when I was little I loved those films and defended them when everyone told me they were bad, watching them now at 17 I now agree with them

This thread has some life! Keep them coming! :)

Re: Ep 1-I know Lucas doesn't do flashbacks, but I think if you take Ep2 and 3, combine them, maybe add Anakin's childhood in flashbacks and divide, then you have a decent prequel trilogy.

I didn't mind Hayden as Anakin, Portman....I actually liked her in EP 1-her "robot" characterization worked for the character, but 2 and 3-ugh. Lucas should have gotten a writer for the love story part. In a way, though, Lucas summed up EP 1 best himself(though I don't think he realized how close he was to the truth):

It was "an innocent movie made in a not so innocent time"-referring to how much his audience had grown.

Dreadylocks- I didn't know you were a Heinlein fan! My better half is a fan of his, I was told a story about how him(I think it was him) and L. Ron Hubbard made a bet about creating a religion-if they actually could do it. Heinlein got bored and dropped out-Hubbard.....well....Scientology today.

You know anything about that story?

There are some interesting names coming up!

BTW-a one shot deal for me: I want a crack at feature remake of the finale of Quantum Leap-the way they ended the series was criminal IMO.

I would definitely like to remake "I, Robot." They got the character names right but the film has nothing to do with the original book.

The same applies to "The Robe." Not a bad film, but miserably missed the point of the book.

Dreadylocks- I didn't know you were a Heinlein fan! My better half is a fan of his, I was told a story about how him(I think it was him) and L. Ron Hubbard made a bet about creating a religion-if they actually could do it. Heinlein got bored and dropped out-Hubbard.....well....Scientology today.

You know anything about that story?

I haven't heard that story, but Stranger in a Strange Land also sparked a religion during the 60's. One that I would much rather have around than scientology...

And yeah, I'm a HUGE Heinlein fan. He might be my all-time favorite author.

Not a remake exactly -- at least I don't think it's been done before...

...but that is also one of my own lifelong pet projects...so back off! I visualized Johnny Depp as VMS for a while, but he's too old now.

I'll race you to it! Seriously though, if you ever make it, let me know, I'd love to be a part of it. And vice versa, if you like :)

I've actually just started re-reading it with the thought of adapting it in mind, making notes and such. Characters to cut or combine. For example, I don't think you actually need Ben and that whole 'date night' beginning part.

Johnny Depp would make a great MVS, of course, but I don't know that I can really picture anyone as him. Patrick Stewart, maybe.... :D

Who would your dream-cast pick be for Jubal?

Back