tv If you could remake a movie/tv show.

And yeah, I'm a HUGE Heinlein fan. He might be my all-time favorite author.

I grok it! I've read most of his novels and short stories; he and Asimov are in my top five.

When it comes to casting SiaSL I would go with "unknowns"; the characterizations are so delineated that known talent would have too much baggage to make the performances believable. (The film on which I am currently working has an actor who would make a great Jubal Harshaw.)

I think that an "easier" Heinlein novel to turn into a film - and more fun (meaning box-office success) - would be "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress." Another cool adaptation would be "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls," or perhaps even "The Number of the Beast."

I grok it!
Yay! Share water!
When it comes to casting SiaSL I would go with "unknowns"; the characterizations are so delineated that known talent would have too much baggage to make the performances believable. (The film on which I am currently working has an actor who would make a great Jubal Harshaw.)
I agree, I think that's why I have such a hard time picturing anyone famous as anyone. But then again some of those famous actors could surprise you. I just saw Julie and Julia(against what I thought was my better judgement) and thought Meryl Streep did a wonderful job melding into the role. It's hard to see such an iconic person 'hiding' that away, but wow. ok I digress..
I think that an "easier" Heinlein novel to turn into a film - and more fun (meaning box-office success) - would be "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress." Another cool adaptation would be "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls," or perhaps even "The Number of the Beast."

I haven't read MiaHM, I started it once but I was writing an english paper at the time and got really worried about having the grammar in the book mess me up. Was it just me, or did he decide the leave the word 'the' out of the book? lol

CWWTW would be an easier adaptation for sure. Lots more clear action and goals. But do you think it could still work as a stand alone without Time Enough for Love being made first? Now that would be a challenging adaptation, but I would LOVE it.

I gotta say that Number of the Beast was one of my least favorites. It could work as a movie, for sure, but I think the book was kind of weak. I read in Grumbles from the Grave that the book was published in it's first or second draft due to RAH being sick and unable to edit it by the deadline. I think it shows..

Sorry that got way OT, but I don't normally run into anyone who's read or even heard of Heinlein. I gotz excited. :D

Yay! Share water!

I agree, I think that's why I have such a hard time picturing anyone famous as anyone. But then again some of those famous actors could surprise you. I just saw Julie and Julia(against what I thought was my better judgement) and thought Meryl Streep did a wonderful job melding into the role. It's hard to see such an iconic person 'hiding' that away, but wow. ok I digress..

I haven't read MiaHM, I started it once but I was writing an english paper at the time and got really worried about having the grammar in the book mess me up. Was it just me, or did he decide the leave the word 'the' out of the book? lol

CWWTW would be an easier adaptation for sure. Lots more clear action and goals. But do you think it could still work as a stand alone without Time Enough for Love being made first? Now that would be a challenging adaptation, but I would LOVE it.

I gotta say that Number of the Beast was one of my least favorites. It could work as a movie, for sure, but I think the book was kind of weak. I read in Grumbles from the Grave that the book was published in it's first or second draft due to RAH being sick and unable to edit it by the deadline. I think it shows..

Sorry that got way OT, but I don't normally run into anyone who's read or even heard of Heinlein. I gotz excited. :D

I haven't read all of his work, but I am familiar with him. I loved Stranger in a Strange Land. Also liked Job: Comedy of Justice.
Part of the thing with heinlein, getting people to "Get it"-like Gaiman's "Sandman" series.

Not sure what that means... Is there a moderator online?

Not sure if you're joking or not, but just in case...

Heinlein and Hubbard were peers amongst SF novelists. Both examined theology within their works and created alternate religions, which some of their fans adopted.

Heinlein thought the whole idea of life imitating his art was ludicrous and wanted no part in it.

Hubbard pursued his ideals and we all know the rest of that story.

Last edited:
I'm dead serious at this point.

I wonder where you people get your information on this.

And why a filmmaker's forum turned into a religion opinionated cesspool.

Last edited:
Sorry, ROC, you're right. The wording of my reply was ignorant and inconsiderate. I apologize and will change it.

Please know that I hold nothing against Scientology in particular that isn't equally applicable to any religion.

There, I've doubtless managed to insult everyone, en masse. :blush:

Sorry, ROC, you're right. The wording of my reply was ignorant and inconsiderate. I apologize and will change it.

Please know that I hold nothing against Scientology in particular that isn't equally applicable to any religion.

There, I've doubtless managed to insult everyone, en masse. :blush:

We're all entitled to our opinions and beliefs. Some are more arguable than others, which is why we try to steer clear of such topics -- they are difficult to discuss without running the risk of offense. Let's put to rest the subject of religion at this point and turn this thread back on topic.

Thanks!

We're all entitled to our opinions and beliefs. Some are more arguable than others, which is why we try to steer clear of such topics -- they are difficult to discuss without running the risk of offense. Let's put to rest the subject of religion at this point and turn this thread back on topic.

Thanks!

And it can happen pretty quickly, and I'm all for turning back to films we want to film :)

Recently I heard an extended version of the "Airwolf" theme (yea I'm on an 80's kick:lol:), and while i don't know about a feature-every time I hear that theme I visualse the opening credits, shown over blueprints of "Airwolf"-I would love to do that if they ever made a feature.

Back