I think I might be a Producer

Between my Adult ADHD, hypopnea, depression and anxiety, and just general all around laziness, writing a script seems to be beyond my capability despite having a desire to be a screenwriter since I was nine.

I'm an idea's man. I can see a movie from start to finish in my head as clear as day. At least, I can see the major scenes and the ultimate direction and flow. All those minor little details in-between (you know, the irrelevant stuff) are what drag me down into the muck with the rest of the film-making population, like directors and (ewwww!) writers.

And I have no patience for the minutia of movie-making. Figuring out stuff like permits and pay-schedules and catering budgets... PAH! I'm there for the BIG picture! I decide the important stuff like location, who the director will be, and what I want for lunch!

Line Producers and Executive Producers are my lackeys.

Yes. I think I'm settled on my future career now. I can see it all in front of me like a grand vista with me at the centre and the world revolving around me.

I am a PRODUCER!

You make it sound like you've finally realised you're gay.

You don't sound like a producer but good for you, if that's what you want to pursue, you can't get enough dedicated producers in the indie film business.

Not sure you can avoid the minutia in any occupation, unless you're working for somebody else and don't care about a promotion, but... Bravo!!

I thought Producers are supposed to do all that... I make my news producers do that...

The daily stuff is a line producer. There are many different types of producers but on a low budget, if there is a producer, he or she is doing all producing activities and then some.

Just googled an article for anyone who is interested. OP's post is funny but it's a good opportunity to get this out there for people who dont know abt different types of producers.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-producer4.htm

Between my Adult ADHD, hypopnea, depression and anxiety, and just general all around laziness, writing a script seems to be beyond my capability despite having a desire to be a screenwriter since I was nine.

I'm an idea's man. I can see a movie from start to finish in my head as clear as day. At least, I can see the major scenes and the ultimate direction and flow. All those minor little details in-between (you know, the irrelevant stuff) are what drag me down into the muck with the rest of the film-making population, like directors and (ewwww!) writers.

And I have no patience for the minutia of movie-making. Figuring out stuff like permits and pay-schedules and catering budgets... PAH! I'm there for the BIG picture! I decide the important stuff like location, who the director will be, and what I want for lunch!

Line Producers and Executive Producers are my lackeys.

Yes. I think I'm settled on my future career now. I can see it all in front of me like a grand vista with me at the centre and the world revolving around me.

I am a PRODUCER!

So you're lazy. That doesn't make you a good producer. In fact, you'd probably completely suck at it.

Also, ideas don't mean anything if you're too lazy to communicate them to anyone else.

Ejoying watching a parade's behind the scenes with slurpie in hand and organizing one ain't even the same thing.

I think being producer, shaking down investors, making them sign contracts, organizing all your subs, securing locations and their permits, payroll and hopefully aggressively pursuing distribution leads (and probably a bazillion other GD hassles, as everyone is looking to you) is probably one of the most miserable jobs out there.

You might be just a production groupie.

You might make a pretty good grip.
Maybe a KEY GRIP if you stick with it! :D

GL! & GB!

Ray

You make it sound like you've finally realised you're gay.
So you think all gay people are lazy, ADHD, hypopnea sufferers with depression and anxiety issues?

I think this guy is cleverly satirizing the mentality of producers (and business managers)
Heh, you called me clever.

I hope so, but given some of the posters on this site I'm not convinced. It's been a rough day, maybe my sarcasm meter is off.
Half and half.

Every time I sit down to write a script I have to battle my above issues just to stay focused long enough to get anything on a page. And when I hit a snag it all goes to hell. I have so many scripts in my head, so many movies I want to give life to that I'm at a point of frustration that is making me consider other options. I'm currently looking at getting a ghost writer to collaborate with but finding one to write a script on spec is... err... difficult.

Having trained as a writer and having had the desire to be a professional writer since I was nine, I've encountered a lot of negative attitudes towards producers and directors. Not saying I have those attitudes (hell, I'd have to actually have experience within the industry in order to even develop such an attitude), just that it seems to be a fairly pervasive feeling within the industry, from the writer's perspective, that producers are lazy, incompetent idea thieves that destroy the pristine perfection of a screenwriter's work and that directors are the Devil's Apprentices.

So, in thinking that I may not be cut-out for a writing role and in considering other options, I thought being a producer might be the best fit in order to get my movies made. Never know, stranger things have happened. I mean, how else would you explain Keanu Reeves?

You could talk to your doctor about prescription meds for AADHD so that you may scare the world with your newfound focus and productivity.

Tis a small price to pay.

1. Buy a dictaphone
2. Unleash your best sp into the recorder.
3. Find someone to transcribe to sp format.

You are now a writer!

All the very best, Jim.

Since you mention you have a head full of ideas that are clearly developed as far as major scenes, etc... Give us a taste. Post an idea that you have fully fleshed out and perhaps we can help!

Since you mention you have a head full of ideas that are clearly developed as far as major scenes, etc... Give us a taste. Post an idea that you have fully fleshed out and perhaps we can help!

Then you'll all steal it! 'cause I'm brilliant and unique, like a snowflake!

Back