How did you become an Indie Filmmaker?

I'd like to hear all of your stories....

Did you go to USC, UCLA, or NYU?

Did you teach yourself like Herzog, Tarantino, or Spielberg?

Get you get a job working under an experienced film director like Cameron did with Roger Corman?

Have any of you joined the military and learned filmmaking there?

What got you started????

godspeed,
nino

I got started by shooting music video's for Sonic Records and helping out with their TV show, Then one day I decided to write a script and try to shoot a film. While casting for the film ,I met my buisness partner George and we started shooting short films. Now we have been talking and learning from folks here , now we are getting geared up to shoot a full length feature.

Didn't go to college.

Graduated High-School a year early and came to L.A. when I was 17 years old to act, got a job at a top music studio and learned under some pro mixers how to record and mix albums.

Began working on feature films as a ADR Mixer. Now I mostly do Sound Design, Re-Recording mixing, and field recording professionally. I used to do Music recording/mixing as a job, but now it's a hobby.

Learned all I know via the internet and other working professionals and mistakes and living through those mistakes.

There are countless other threads named "Is film school necessary?" or some such name, and you can find those where I speak my mind on the matter.

Last edited:
I wanted to be a rock star. I became a musical director instead and worked my way up the ladder. Arthritis curtailed a fairly successful career about 14 years ago, so I became a recording engineer and side stepped into audio post about nine years ago.

I'd like to hear all of your stories....

Did you go to USC, UCLA, or NYU?

Did you teach yourself like Herzog, Tarantino, or Spielberg?

Get you get a job working under an experienced film director like Cameron did with Roger Corman?

Have any of you joined the military and learned filmmaking there?

What got you started????
I actually started out wanting to be a fashion designer. My grandma taught me how to sew. My best friend and I started a little company at 14, well we named it anyways. lol. I fabricated my sister's whole wedding party, including her dress, and did a couple amateur fashion shows. During this period I was also interested in puppets. Created many, some of which I used in a few stop motion (pretty awful works) pieces I created with an old wind-up Bolex. I attended , Crawford School of Art in Cork City, Ireland, and University College, Cork in Ireland, where I studied Irish Art/History, and took studio courses in jewelry design, sculpture, and stained glass. Brought the same windup with me and a video cam, did nothing with the Bolex but managed to tape a number of local artists for a documentary (which never saw completion). I graduated with a BFA (painting/film), but just a couple classes and thesis away from a masters. Months after graduation I enrolled in a community college's media program where I studied film theory, production, graphic design, and screenwriting (with Martin Daniel, now at USC). I completed 1 1/2 years of the two year course. I then followed with a 2-year apprenticeship with a documentary maker. I taught myself to cel animate and the first thing I did was an MTV id clip. Being naive, I sent my *jewel* to the network. lol While I didn't sell it, I did get a personal call from the Director of Programming encouraging me to continue my endeavours (even though my sample displayed 'problems' lol). I continue to work on paintings, puppets, animations, stained glass and scripts.

So, to answer your question, I guess I've done all of the above with the exception of military service. From my experience, the thing which proved to be most rewarding is the one I researched and, essentially, taught myself: cel animation.

Last edited:
I had been writing my own stories/comics since the first grade. Around 5th grade, my grandfather gave me a tape recorder and I started acting out the stories on tape. I knew I wanted to make movies and perform in them, so I saved up for a Super 8mm camera when I was 15. I kept making movies and never looked back.

I did study film theory and production in college (NAU and U of A). I made my first indie feature, within a year of graduating.

I haven't. Yet.

You don't necessarily need something in the can before being a filmmaker. Heck, there's plenty of scriptwriters who'll never set foot on a set in their lifetime, but still be counted.

Even plain ol' book authors call themselves writers, even if 100% of their material is unpublished.

You're obviously interested in film, at any rate, and with intent. What do you need to do, for you to consider yourself "genuine" filmmaker?

I guess once I begin to make film I will consider myself a film maker.

I'm not in any rush though, I have plenty of things to occupy my time. I don't want to steal other people's labels when they're undeserved.

Have you recorded at least 2 second on a sony point-and-shoot digital camera? Or on an ipod? Or have you made funny videos using Photobooth on a mac?

If so, you're a filmmaker.

So it's 2006 and...

Tarantino, Kubrick, PT anderson, coens bros and just really good mvoies in general is what got me hooked and so I started writing a screenplay.
I then tried to sell it via inktip.
that didn't work.
Wrote another one.
That didn't sell either.
So then I started pestering other indie filmmakers out there to direct one of my scripts.
All of them blew me off so that didn't work out.
So I finally got fed up, and said to myself "let me make my own fuckin movie".
Started researching cameras and fell in love with a new camera that wasn't even out yet called the Ikonoskop A-cam Dii
http://www.ikonoskop.com/dii/
So i waited for that.
And waited...
and waited...
and waited...
And 10 months later, I finally snapped and said to myself "quit stalling and grow some balls you coward. go out there and make your fuckin film already."
And so I did, and I bought a mac, stole final cut pro via the piratebay, and got a canon 7d and an indie filmmaker wss born.
And one year later, here i am with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Z3kBdBX1M
my very first feature film ready to submit to various film festivals.

THE END.

Last edited:
Classic gen-x slacker who didn't know what he wanted to do. Went to college. On the seven-year plan (one year on, one year off, etc.).

Decided I wanted to be a professor, but wanted to take a year off, before applying to grad school. Solid grades, kick-ass recommendations, and solid GRE scores. But I didn't know what I wanted to do, and that's bad, when applying to grad school, especially when you're applying to some of the most competitive programs in the nation. Three applications; three rejections.

Taught at the high school level for two years, before going nuts one Summer, recording an album's-worth of music in my home "studio" (PC, keyboard and crappy mic). Decided I wanted to be a music engineer. Moved to Memphis to enroll in UM's music recording program. Took a year off in order to get in-state-tuition. Are we noticing a pattern?

During that year, needed to take a pre-req to the music program -- Intro to filmmaking/video. Thing is, though, I looked through the syllabus, and saw that I alread knew everything in that class, as I had gained some videography skills while working on my BA in anthropology. I asked permissin of the professor to allow me to take Intermediate filmmaking/video, instead. Permission granted.

I had SO much fun in that class, and did really well in it. Decided that music was the wrong path -- filmmaking is my passion. Started practicing and learning as much as I could, filmmaking-wise, enlisting the help of friends to play every part.

But then I got side-tracked again. Offered a promotion at work, from kick-ass bartender, to sucker-ass manager. Promotion required relocation, to Richmond, VA. I thought, hey, I'm really good at this restaurant thing, maybe this is the career for me -- I should at least give it a try.

Absolutely hated it. Every minute of it. Couldn't wait to quit. Everyone, my boss included, knew that it was only a matter of time before I turned in my two-week-notice; it was public-knowledge. That job absolutely crippled any thought of artistic endeavors.

Not soon enough, we parted ways, so now I can get back to filmmaking pursuits. Problem is, at this point, I'm in a new city, and starting from scratch building contacts, etc. It's been a slow build, but build it has.

So there I am. Right now, I feel fortunate to have been able to network and work with some rather talented indie filmmakers and actors in Richmond, a city that has a surprisingly active filmmaking community, for it's size. However, I can't bartend for the rest of my life.

And that is why I'm making "Antihero". This movie is to be my calling card, my audition to the big leagues. I don't expect to just instantly be signed on to make the next "Star Trek" sequel, but I need to see some kind of progress -- something to make me think my work has been going towards more than just entertaining friends (and having fun, while doing so). If, a year from now, I'm in the exact same position I am now (bartending, with no real prospects of doing this professionally), I'm officially re-categorizing filmmaking into the "hobby" category, and going back to teaching high school.

And the last thing this world needs is me warping your fragile little childrens' minds, so it's in everyone's best interest to help me turn pro.

:D

Classic gen-x slacker who didn't know what he wanted to do. Went to college. On the seven-year plan (one year on, one year off, etc.).

Decided I wanted to be a professor, but wanted to take a year off, before applying to grad school. Solid grades, kick-ass recommendations, and solid GRE scores. But I didn't know what I wanted to do, and that's bad, when applying to grad school, especially when you're applying to some of the most competitive programs in the nation. Three applications; three rejections.

Taught at the high school level for two years, before going nuts one Summer, recording an album's-worth of music in my home "studio" (PC, keyboard and crappy mic). Decided I wanted to be a music engineer. Moved to Memphis to enroll in UM's music recording program. Took a year off in order to get in-state-tuition. Are we noticing a pattern?

During that year, needed to take a pre-req to the music program -- Intro to filmmaking/video. Thing is, though, I looked through the syllabus, and saw that I alread knew everything in that class, as I had gained some videography skills while working on my BA in anthropology. I asked permissin of the professor to allow me to take Intermediate filmmaking/video, instead. Permission granted.

I had SO much fun in that class, and did really well in it. Decided that music was the wrong path -- filmmaking is my passion. Started practicing and learning as much as I could, filmmaking-wise, enlisting the help of friends to play every part.

But then I got side-tracked again. Offered a promotion at work, from kick-ass bartender, to sucker-ass manager. Promotion required relocation, to Richmond, VA. I thought, hey, I'm really good at this restaurant thing, maybe this is the career for me -- I should at least give it a try.

Absolutely hated it. Every minute of it. Couldn't wait to quit. Everyone, my boss included, knew that it was only a matter of time before I turned in my two-week-notice; it was public-knowledge. That job absolutely crippled any thought of artistic endeavors.

Not soon enough, we parted ways, so now I can get back to filmmaking pursuits. Problem is, at this point, I'm in a new city, and starting from scratch building contacts, etc. It's been a slow build, but build it has.

So there I am. Right now, I feel fortunate to have been able to network and work with some rather talented indie filmmakers and actors in Richmond, a city that has a surprisingly active filmmaking community, for it's size. However, I can't bartend for the rest of my life.

And that is why I'm making "Antihero". This movie is to be my calling card, my audition to the big leagues. I don't expect to just instantly be signed on to make the next "Star Trek" sequel, but I need to see some kind of progress -- something to make me think my work has been going towards more than just entertaining friends (and having fun, while doing so). If, a year from now, I'm in the exact same position I am now (bartending, with no real prospects of doing this professionally), I'm officially re-categorizing filmmaking into the "hobby" category, and going back to teaching high school.

And the last thing this world needs is me warping your fragile little childrens' minds, so it's in everyone's best interest to help me turn pro.

:D

I fell ya bro. I'm doing bartending work on the side to make ends meet. College wasn't for me. I feel like I really have not only a gift, but a passion for film.

It's funny, I got into trouble as a child all the time as well. Much of us are like Truffaut's Antoine Doinel in "The 400 Blows"....
He went on to become on the best filmmakers of his time....

My firm belief is that passions exceeds everything.

Back