• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

help with trying to write my very first screenplay..

i've been trying to write a screenplay the past few months but whenever i decide on a story, i decide to scrap it and write another one. anyways... i've finally thought of a story and this time i'd like to finish writing it.

i'm trying to follow the 3-act-structure but i have problems with the 2nd act. i need tips on how to make the supposed "boring" part of the movie NOT boring. how do i go about in doing this?

Hello everyone! Though I am probably the least experienced screenwriter and such, I'm hoping this could help you, littleturtle. If not, I apologize ><.

Well, reading through the thread many recommended the book "Save the Cat!" by Blake Snyder and I absolutely agree. I bought it about two months ago and really enjoyed the read. It is helpful and the best thing about it is that when reading it, it does not feel like a How To Book if that makes sense.

Another book I would really like to add to the list to check out would be "The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script". Be warned though, unlike "Save the Cat!" it does feel like a How To Book. But, I will say though, it did help me very much about learning what I need to know and has helped me get out of trouble, which tends to happen a lot :D.

Another thing I would recommend is read as many scripts as you can. Look up your favorite director, movie, or pick a considered classic in the genre your script is in and buy the script. It may help you see how that movie flows and how that writer did it, which could help you with your problem.

Though some do not like readings and like learning from other scripts and such, I like to combine both that and reading books.By reading books on the different styles of writing scripts and reading other people's scripts, it may help you come up with your own unique style of writing, which is what I try my best to do.

Well, I hoped this helped you out at all and like I said earlier in the post I'm not the most experienced, but you never know what could help. :)

Have a good one

just got the screenwriter's bible yesterday, lotsa pages lol.. will start reading soon :)

Teenagers, geeze.. (I have 2.5 of them at home !)

I am in no way, a naive young adult

to any grownup, that is a rather naive thing to say :rolleyes:

Lets assume that your a prodigy on the order of a Mozart. Your life would look like this:
  • Between 4 and 7 years old your family toured around Europe with you as part of a Child Prodigy show, where you dazzled everyone with your brilliant ability to direct screenplays.
  • At 8 years old, your write your first screenplay.
  • More touring and practice..
  • At 17 your were hired by a Government run film board to write and direct screenplays
  • At age 19 you should still be employed as a writer\director? Is that your current situation?

At 19 Mozart still worked for the Salzburg court as a "court" musician.

So, unless your claiming to be a prodigy on the order of Mozart, I don't quite think you have enough experience to qualify as a Master. (Which is a ranking by the way that qualifies you to TEACH journeymen)

That said, you have some great points, but they are all a bit naive.. :)

Oh by the way, any psychologist will tell you that your attitude is completely developmentally appropriate, most 19 year old kids feel this same way.

In the interest of full disclosure; Im a 100% brand new baby noobie when it comes to screen writing.. but I anint stopid!

Last edited:
Teenagers, geeze.. (I have 2.5 of them at home !)

to any grownup, that is a rather naive thing to say :rolleyes:

Lets assume that your a prodigy on the order of a Mozart. Your life would look like this:
  • Between 4 and 7 years old your family toured around Europe with you as part of a Child Prodigy show, where you dazzled everyone with your brilliant ability to direct screenplays.
  • At 8 years old, your write your first screenplay.
  • More touring and practice..
  • At 17 your were hired by a Government run film board to write and direct screenplays
  • At age 19 you should still be employed as a writer\director? Is that your current situation?

At 19 Mozart still worked for the Salzburg court as a "court" musician.

So, unless your claiming to be a prodigy on the order of Mozart, I don't quite think you have enough experience to qualify as a Master. (Which is a ranking by the way that qualifies you to TEACH journeymen)

That said, you have some great points, but they are all a bit naive.. :)

Oh by the way, any psychologist will tell you that your attitude is completely developmentally appropriate, most 19 year old kids feel this same way.

Psychologist, my therapist believes I've lived an extensive life style, that many adults won't see until their later hours. It is simply a difference of opinions, the key fuel for a forum, no?

To point out a phrase that is to suggest i am naive within the context of the conversation that was purely for me to respond, again, the basis of any conversation, is a common cliche of adult to child. To say i am not naive, maybe from the mouth of a high school student, tiring his parents to lure the onslaught of old-age, if that guy says, 'I am a young adult, i am not naive', then yes, he's naive as hell.

'Your life would look like this'

Explain this, is there also a template on how to become a prodigy? Or a string of tales and recognition that would suggest somebody is? Or is it merely impossible to excellerate knowledge and life experience as young as nineteen? If this is so, we're now entering the debate of intelligence, and what era has progressed the most within it's time. To quote to me the lifestyle of Mozart, is quite defensive, i didn't suggest i was a 'Master', but the craft of screenwriting is to posses the power to allude, to create that illusion of life, no? It is more an interpretation of life than it is to relentlessly follow a template, and precariously live through a life printed on a page, from somebody who has already lived. But to say as an adult, that the value of living as fuel for inspiration is ill-important besides templates, and 'screenwriting for dummies'. Is, and always will be beyond me.

'And in screenwriting you must learn to paint pictures and illicit emotions with words and write dialogue that rings true'

You learn to master that through communication, through living, I applaud you if the pages you study speak back to you in golden tongue.

What would i say to somebody writing their first screenplay, firstly, learn the structure of writing a screenplay to a necessary standard through either method you see fit, reading screenplays as i have done in the hundreds, guarantee the standard is professional enough that it is eligible to distribute to possible funders, cast and crew. What would i say next, continue to pursue a fourth, fifth, sixth, screenplay aid?

Let me ask you this, if you where 19 again, would you live, absorbing the world, knowing and trusting in your capabilities as a screenwriter, or would you simply read a 'How to write a screenplay'?

@Wheatgrinder, i am thankful to debate with you.

in my opinion, alike @TheOpusFuller, i would not recommend screenwriting books.
OpusFuller believes reading screenwriting books is poison. You
agree with him.

You have read books on screenwriting so you know from experience
that reading them is poison. The analogy is poison is dangerous.
Are you saying the reading books on screenwriting is dangerous? Do
you feel you would be better off now if you have never read the
screenwriting books you have read?

OpusFuller does. He said he wasted two years of his life. Did you?

In your opinion is living a little, getting inspired, spending time
with an open mind, fresh air and new faces the better way? That
spending time with books on a craft that interests you is poison?
Or can they both exist equally?

I’m curious; why did you bring age into this. Just because you’re
19 doesn’t mean you don’t know anything. You clearly have an
opinion based on your experiences.

OpusFuller believes reading screenwriting books is poison. You
agree with him.

You have read books on screenwriting so you know from experience
that reading them is poison. The analogy is poison is dangerous.
Are you saying the reading books on screenwriting is dangerous? Do
you feel you would be better off now if you have never read the
screenwriting books you have read?

OpusFuller does. He said he wasted two years of his life. Did you?

In your opinion is living a little, getting inspired, spending time
with an open mind, fresh air and new faces the better way? That
spending time with books on a craft that interests you is poison?
Or can they both exist equally?

I’m curious; why did you bring age into this. Just because you’re
19 doesn’t mean you don’t know anything. You clearly have an
opinion based on your experiences.

Poison may be a strong description, i believe the word 'Poison' was used more to describe the time spent studying the Screenplay books, a sour taste, rather than the books themselves are of no use. I disagree on that respect, but i was using that time basis at the forefront of my reply, explaining yes, study the craft, gain the needed and necessary level, structure, I am not saying ignore this and pursue cinema with just a life full of inspiration. From my experiences, having studied the books, drained the libraries and most of all, experienced life and sourced inspiration from that, I can say that on occasion, structure is forced fed, leaving life experience a poor second.

'Or can they both exist equally?'

I believe this is true, but after a certain amount of time, i could not distinguish or recognize with a certain desire to pursue through Scripting templates, for two or three years, believing that this is to teach me the craft of dialogue, and the overall art of cinema. I trust in my experiences incorporated in my know-how of screenwriting, in the life i live to fuel my pen.

My age was mentioned so that i was to be treated as i was, I am nineteen, and not a stranger to the air of ageism, which i can say, does not resonate so strong as it has, and that is much appreciated @Directorick

at age 19 I was jamming in a heavy metal band, and I KNEW I was the best bass player around.. my front man would have kicked your ass just for looking "smart!" (thats a joke, you seem to have a sense of humor in there somewhere)

It sad that you sound like an old man telling young whippersnapper "go out and live, while you can my son" your the kid, your the one whose SUPPOSED to be living that life free of responsibility.

Having a therapists at age 19 kinda suggest you got other issues.. and I'm sorry that it appears that you have had your childhood stolen, but at least your in good company. Great art is seldom made by well adjusted happy people. Sure they find joy and happiness IN creating art, but the joy of living happily generally alludes them. (The over prescription of mood altering drugs will be the death of great art!)

The whole "your life would look like this" riff was a metaphor to suggest what a life of a "19 year old Master" would look like. In response to this:

Yet, if you believe i have and will not master the craft [...] ll i can say, is it is you who has not yet mastered the craft.

Where you do suggest that you have craft mastery.

"Mastery" implies years of technical education and examination.. A "Masters" degree, or a guild mastership are the references to which I direct you. To have achieved a masters degree at age 19, or have passed a Master craftsmen examination in some other art (pluming, carpentry, etc) would required at least 7 years of education\on the job training. Not impossible, just unlikely.

You can reply in defense obviously, but Ill drop the age thing..

In my opinion, learning the craft of screenwriting varies on each person. Reading many books on it works for some, not for others. But best thing to do is try to see what kind of learner you are. So really saying screenwriting books are poison may not be the best choice of words. It may be that learning from that was not your forte. Each to their own, ya know =) No reason to bicker over it.

just got the screenwriter's bible yesterday, lotsa pages lol.. will start reading soon :)

Well, I wish you the best of luck reading it and hope it helps you =)

Last edited:
Having a therapists at age 19 kinda suggest you got other issues.. and I'm sorry that it appears that you have had your childhood stolen, but at least your in good company. Great art is seldom made by well adjusted happy people. Sure they find joy and happiness IN creating art, but the joy of living happily generally alludes them. (The over prescription of mood altering drugs will be the death of great art!)

That was extremely polite of you, thank you. Perhaps you dust of your bass and I'll get Mel...(my Gibson) :cool: and we can jam...Just to clarify my Gibson isn't named Mel. I do have some degree of pride.:weird:

This was a very worth while discussion, Tankdaddy is correct, each to their own. The best of luck with your script!

I didn't disdain the value of reading scripts, I didn't surcome to structure and formatting out of nowhere, I have read hundreds of screenplays, drained my library of any possible literature and crafted my own thought inbetween what is eligible as the correct angle to writing a screenplay, and most of all, nurturing that vision until the final page. I am in no way, a naive young adult tip toeing his away around a desired oil painting of a career in cinema, but to say i didn't listen? To what memoirs are you sharing that are elicit to my apparent naivety?

I take in every piece of advice with each breath, i appreciate the tales and the 'what-nots' and warnings, the helping hands from the very courteous people of this forum. You may have misinterpreted my stake, i have studied beyond, and like @TheOpusFuller, the value of my years (Which may surprise you, being 19, but yes) where not as productive as they where living, instead of bartering with a book on how to truly write a screenplay. I apologize if my method is unorthodox. And no doubt, my youth will stand forefront of the discussion, at 41 i am in no way questioning your credentials, and i do with open arms absorb your opinion, even it is tastes a tad critique, it is welcomed and i am thankful. Yet, if you believe i have and will not master the craft, that i do not take warmth from profound depictions, and learning that craft, containing an audience that are yours for the length of your work, then all i can say, is it is you who has not yet mastered the craft.

I value the art of screenwriting, i am not floating on the surface trying to pick-pocket a career without hard work, i assure you, it is a constant in my life, but to reiterate, i value time to be spent living, rather than relentlessly polishing structure and method that is few and far between, learn that, do, you may impress your potential partners with a script, crisp and formatted, but if you fail to see the importance of finding inspiration, then you're simply the canvas and not the artist.

If you believe the only thing you will learn from books on screenwriting is formatting (which you don't even need to study by using free software like Celtx) and structure, then you've missed the entire point. If you believe books on screenwriting are "POISON", then you are setting yourself up for failure. Do what you will, but please do not mislead the "noobs" into thinking they can learn nothing from people with experience and can gain no insight from books on screenwriting. That is blatantly false. Can you learn everything from them? No! Of course not. You're not going to perform brain surgery after reading a book or two. It takes practice.

I was exactly like you at 19. Thus, imagine where you could be when you are 41 and have another 22 years of life's experiences and some failed attempts at screenwriting under your belt (because you will have them - everyone does). ;) And your presumption that I have not yet mastered the craft is exactly right. It is an ongoing process of study and practice, success and failure. And I've been writing longer than you have been alive. I wrote my first feature script before you were born.

Best of luck to you. :cheers:

Last edited:
work for money is good.

Even when working full time, stick to a writing regiment.

15 minutes a day, every day NO MATER WHAT. and before you know it, you'll be done.

Even if it's spent writing e-mails, forum posts, and blogs, just do it!

Every little bit helps.

And please, for the younger crowd, stick to complete words, not this vogue text chat shorthand. Now THAT is "poison" to the writing habit. :)

First off to set some things straight. I am the person who said Screenwriting books are poison. If people read the entire thread they would know this. They would also know that I made a point in saying the following at the top of my post.

"What I am about to say is solely my opinion, but I will stand by it until the day I die."

My opinion. Solely my opinion. There is nothing misleading about it!

Now, moving on...

My opinion that screenwriting books are poison is setting me up for failure? Far from it. I've posted pages in other forums and have received positive feedback. The writing speaks for itself obviously.

Poison may be a strong description, i believe the word 'Poison' was used more to describe the time spent studying the Screenplay books, a sour taste, rather than the books themselves are of no use. I disagree on that respect, but i was using that time basis at the forefront of my reply, explaining yes, study the craft, gain the needed and necessary level, structure, I am not saying ignore this and pursue cinema with just a life full of inspiration. From my experiences, having studied the books, drained the libraries and most of all, experienced life and sourced inspiration from that, I can say that on occasion, structure is forced fed, leaving life experience a poor second.

'Or can they both exist equally?'

I believe this is true, but after a certain amount of time, i could not distinguish or recognize with a certain desire to pursue through Scripting templates, for two or three years, believing that this is to teach me the craft of dialogue, and the overall art of cinema. I trust in my experiences incorporated in my know-how of screenwriting, in the life i live to fuel my pen.
I understand far better now.

Studying the craft is important. We both agree. My issue was the
impression you gave that studying from books is a waste of time.
How a writer studies the craft is very personal. You have the
experience studying from books. If you only learned that studying
from books is a waste of time, you learned something.

My age was mentioned so that i was to be treated as i was, I am nineteen, and not a stranger to the air of ageism, which i can say, does not resonate so strong as it has, and that is much appreciated @Directorick
You haven’t faced “ageism”. It is an undeniable fact that you have
more knowledge and experience now than you did at at 12. It is an
undeniable fact that you will have more knowledge and experience
at age 29 than you do now. So telling you that you will learn more
in the next ten years cannot be considered “ageism”. I’m sure that
when you speak to a 12 year old who wants to write screenplays you
would treat them differently than a person who is 19. Because you
know that the next 7 years of that 12 year olds life will bring a lot
of knowledge and experience.

First off to set some things straight. I am the person who said Screenwriting books are poison. If people read the entire thread they would know this. They would also know that I made a point in saying the following at the top of my post.

"What I am about to say is solely my opinion, but I will stand by it until the day I die."

Now, moving on...

My opinion that screenwriting books are poison is setting me up for failure? Far from it. I've posted pages in other forums and have received positive feedback. The writing speaks for itself obviously.

I know you are. And I have read the entire thread. And please understand I am not attacking anyone for their personal opinion. Lord knows I am opinionated also, and not always on the popular side.

But by your own admission you did read them, didn't you. And your writing is better? Do you see the contradiction? Is your writing better because of it, or in spite of it? So you would trust advice from anonymous sources on a forum more so than from those with documented, proven success? How do you know the positive feedback you get from anonymous sources is from credible, experienced writers, and not from people struggling with the same issues that don't know any better? Yes, there are several here whom I respect, but I do not look to them for learning; I look to them for validation that what I have learned is accurate, acceptable and up to date. However, no one can teach me MY style, teach me MY voice. That can only come from within and only after I fully understand what NOT to do. There are rules in screenwriting that don't exist in any other form of writing.

Steering would-be writers away from books on screenwriting is a mistake. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience in some of those pages that you could never get otherwise (well, unless you get accepted to UCLA's graduate screenwriting program, but lo and behold they will make you read there, too). My opinion, and I will stand by it until I die. Nothing misleading about it. :D

I thought of that final twist hook for your story.

The character we thought was the “Real Mom” (The bad mom) never was the real mom.
Who we thought the “New Mom and Dad” are (Psychiatrist and his wife) are REALLY his (the Boys) parents, but THEY gave him up to the other woman, then took him back… It’s what the dad was making him forget.

So the woman we believe was this unloving tyrant of a mother really DID love him, she took him in, and then for love gave him back up when the New (Real) Parents decided they wanted him back.

So the boy (now older) goes from remembering the other woman as his mom, and thinking she didn’t love him and that she abandon him, to finding out who he loves now is who really gave him up, then tried to hide it.

If the audience belives all along that the dad was trying to keep the boy from remembering the other mom to protect him from finding out he was abandon, then you drop that twist on them, and the boy (now older) goes to the girl he has fallen in love with, then finds out she was the girl from his past and she knew the truth but didn't tell him... Damn.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
still no progress with the script.. i don't have time right now to work on it, but i DO think about it everyday lol..

will provide final script to you guys whenever i finish it, whether that's in a year or two..

Now, moving on...

i respect your opinion, but i STRONGLY disagree with it.

i'm only on page 70 of the screenwriter's bible, and i've learned SO MUCH about writing a screenplay already. i definitely have no regrets in buying this book... since you're a good writer, let me ask you... how did you become great? i mean... how'd you learn about the extra details in writing a good story? structure, story-layering, etc. i understand how one could get better by simple trial and error. what i don't understand is how you would learn about those things in the first place? maybe you took a course... but where the hell were you getting those knowledge from? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKS..

Back