Hello from Southern Ontario, Canada

Hi,

I'm 45 and I have been in love with film since I was 16. It was the summer of Raiders of the Lost Ark and I saw it 17 times in the theatre and of course many more since. After seeing this film for the first time, I walked out of that theater and said to myself, "That's what I want to do with my life. I want to make people feel like this!".

I have been working towards that goal ever since. At the time of my graduation from high school, there were few film schools and none in Canada (I don't think that even Vancouver was around then). I didn't have the money to go to the US so I wallowed along on my own, trying to find a way in.

Well, life's little path with all it's detours has finally led me here and I have just finished filming my first series of short vignettes. I was too afraid of the technology for a long time but I bought a camera (never buy Panasonic again but it was on sale) and have finally made my first project. I loved the whole process so much I'm working on another one.

I am primarily a writer but I know now that directing is also something I love.

So, I'm a late bloomer, compared to all these kids who are doing it from birth -lol- but I'm ready to go and tell my stories.

So, that's me.

Would that there were more late bloomers like yourself. Welcome! I'm looking forward to your stories.

(I'm from Metro Windsor, by the way.)

Why thank you

Thanks for all the welcomes and just for the record, I'm a woman *LOL* - but not offended. BTW...can we post our films here or do we post them on someplace like YouTube and post the links here?

Welcome mam! Wow you saw it 17 times in theaters? I hope movie prices are cheaper in Canada ;)!

I hope you post your work for us all to enjoy. Have fun and chime in on all the wonderful conversations!

Ahh that's nothin.

Back then that would have only cost 70 bucks.

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D 30 times and it cost me 600 bucks.

:)

WELCOME FROM LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA. EXITTAINMENT CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

Hope you guys don't actually believe me.

Last edited:
Welcome mam! Wow you saw it 17 times in theaters? I hope movie prices are cheaper in Canada ;)!

Don't be silly, of course it was cheap. Canadian money is basically a half step up from Monopoly money. Seriously, just try using it at a store.

Now England on the other hand... If I had their kind of money I'd throw mine away ;)

@OP: hi :hi:

dampcat, welcome to the Thunderdome!

I'm also a late-bloomer, as Uranium calls us, and I think there are quite a few of us out there.

The movie that got me was "Temple of Doom". Blew me away. I rode my bike to the theater so many times to see it. I know, I know, it's the least good of the first three. But it was timed right, for me -- was released when I was at the age appropriate to completely fall in love with this swashbuckling archeaologist.

Damn, ROC, 30 times?! You're awesome. I'm actually yet to see it in IMAX. Richmond only has two IMAX screens -- one of them is fake-IMAX (it's not even the largest screen in Richmond; I don't know how they get away with calling it that); the only "real" IMAX we have is at our Science Center, and they don't use it for Hollywood movies. When I wrap production on "Antihero" in early August, I'm going to indulge in a special day for Joseph. Taking a day-trip to DC. I'm going to spend the ENTIRE day in the Human Origins exibit at the Smithsonian Natural History, then finally see it in IMAX.

Sorry for that rambling, dampcat. Not trying to hijack your thread. What did you think of "Crystal Skull"? I didn't think it was the complete abomination that so many other people seem to think it is. I had fun watching it, and I'm glad they're making a fifth. I hear rumors that it will involve the Bermuda Triangle.

And while we're talking money, what's up with Canadian quarters? They look and feel EXACTLY like ours, until closer inspection, at which point you realize that what you have in your hand is only worth like twenty cents, or something. Argh!

The movie that got me was "Temple of Doom". Blew me away. I rode my bike to the theater so many times to see it. I know, I know, it's the least good of the first three. But it was timed right, for me -- was released when I was at the age appropriate to completely fall in love with this swashbuckling archeaologist.

Give you an idea how young I am, I first saw Temple of Doom when I was 6 because I got it in a Happy Meal from McDonalds.

Damn, ROC, 30 times?! You're awesome. I'm actually yet to see it in IMAX. Richmond only has two IMAX screens -- one of them is fake-IMAX (it's not even the largest screen in Richmond; I don't know how they get away with calling it that); the only "real" IMAX we have is at our Science Center, and they don't use it for Hollywood movies. When I wrap production on "Antihero" in early August, I'm going to indulge in a special day for Joseph. Taking a day-trip to DC. I'm going to spend the ENTIRE day in the Human Origins exibit at the Smithsonian Natural History, then finally see it in IMAX.

Heh. You missed my disclaimer saying I hope you don't believe me :) I did see it in IMAX though and it rocked.

I hated Crystal Skull. And now all the sequels will be with Shia Laboof. Ugh.

Give you an idea how young I am, I first saw Temple of Doom when I was 6 because I got it in a Happy Meal from McDonalds.

I was 9.

Heh. You missed my disclaimer saying I hope you don't believe me :) I did see it in IMAX though and it rocked.

Oh, there it is. The fine print. Haha. You're still awesome.

I hated Crystal Skull.

That's perfectly fair. I hear they're doing away with the CGI stuff for number five. Taking it back to the old-school.

Dude that will rock.

Hey - know this, Cracker:

While watching Crystal Skull I turned to my friend and said "I bet you 500$ the punch sound effects are from the original films"

And sure enough, Ben Burtt did restore all of the original sound effects from the original films. Damn my ears are good. The same exact punches used for the huge bald German guy outside the bomber plane on the runway are used for the big Russian dude fight in Crystal Skull.

Anyway, the main faults I found was falling over 4 100 foot waterfalls, the nuclear blast he survived in a refridgerator, Shy Laboof swinging in the trees with the monkeys, and the "TV"ish camera angles for the dialogue scenes.

Now, falling onto a cliff in a rubber raft, I can believe. Going through a tunnel next to a Luftwaffe german fighter plane I can believe. But some of the crap in the 4th just wasn't cool.

AND BRING BACK THE CHINESE KID THAT PLAYED DATA IN GOONIES: DOCTA JONES!!!!

*looks back at the OP*

Hey OP. Welcome. Nice thread you got here.

Last edited:
Back