Fav Book?

Oh! How could I forget!

The Harry Potter series is probably tied for 1st/2nd with my other two picks.

Ditto x2! :D

I just always forget to mention them as they're more like comfort food than anything. If someone asked me what my favourite food was then I'd say Beef Capaccio (in this metaphor that's 'Brideshead Revisited') but the food that I always eat just because I love it might be Flapjacks (that's the Harry Potter books). In reality the meal that you have occasionally wouldn't be delicious if you had it everyday, which is testament to the food that you eat every day when it remains delicious. The same is true of books.

Well put! And I think it's cute that you said flapjacks. :P

I'm almost always on a constant cycle of going through the series. I have the audio-books (both versions/readers are fantastic, btw) and I listen to them when I do dishes and when I exercise :)

At this point there is no denying that I have read them more than anything else...

That is soooo weird!

I'm going off to do English literature at University this time next year and the books that I still spend most of my time reading are the Harry Potter series. Just finished PoA, 200 pages through GoF.

As for the audio books I've got them all on my trust iPod and I can't get to sleep at night unless I'm listening to them. :P

It's sad but it's true. Not as sad as this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fanorama-Birt...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287180021&sr=1-1

As for the audio books I've got them all on my trust iPod and I can't get to sleep at night unless I'm listening to them. :P
I have gone through periods like this.

You have a book! Ahhh! When did everyone on here become a writer?

PS: Did you see the Oprah/Rowling interview from a week or two ago! That woman is so charming and intelligent(Rowling, I mean). It was crazy to think about how much money those two women have between them, too...

Did you see the Oprah/Rowling interview from a week or two ago! That woman is so charming and intelligent(Rowling, I mean). It was crazy to think about how much money those two women have between them, too...

We don't get Oprah over here...

I've kind tried to get out of the loop with Harry Potter stuff. I closed my Harry Potter website/money vacuum about 18 months ago.

I still read the books and watch the films, but try to stay sane about it :devil:

Yeah, I hear ya. I still read other stuff as well, but those audiobooks are my go-to when I have a mindless task to accomplish.

Still though, I can't wait to have kids so I have an excuse to go to the theme park... :blush:

Still though, I can't wait to have kids so I have an excuse to go to the theme park... :blush:

I went to the theme park at the start of this summer: It rocked my world! :tongue:

That said I would have prefered it to be in Scotland, as the snow covered Hogsmeade looked a little out of place given that it was (literally, and, yes, I mean literally) baking hot.

It will sound cliche, but I think everyone should own a copy(AND READ IT) of Thoreau's Walden Pond w/ Civil Disobedience. And Whitman's Leaves of Grass.

I don't have a #1. I am into Isaac Assimov, Arthur C Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, James Clavell, David & Leigh Eddings, Piers Anthony, Herman Wouk, Tom Clancy, John Varley and Frank Herbert. I also like the Bible and history books.

Definitely Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert Heinlein) gets the #1 spot.(

That's way up there on my list. I like the original uncut version... I'm a sci-fi freak and he's a favorite. For those who don't know, Heinlein coined TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. I'm waiting for someone to make a feature out of "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress".

#1 Anything by Vonnegut...but I really like Dead Eye Dick. I can read Sherlocke Holmes...

"Breakfast of Champions" was a lot of fun; he wrote it as a sort of creative enema to get rid of all the extraneous crap that he hadn't used yet.

Holmes is entertaining, but give me Ellery Queen - you're given all of the clues to solve it; but damned if I can figure it out even when I take notes!

I read THE SILMARILLION at least once a year.

Interesting; I haven't read it in years.

In related news: I had a proud dad moment when my teenage daughter quoted "Atlas Shrugged" to me...

Just finished a re-read. "The Fountainhead" is pretty good, too.

Last edited:
Wow. Reading this thread = me feeling immediately dumb.

My favourite books are Harry Potter. No question. Closely followed by almost anything by John Marsden or Nick Earls. Gangster by Lorenzo Carcaterra is one of my all time favourite books.

Just about the only literary type inclusion I have is A Clockwork Orange.

:/

Fav book? Hmmm. I guess Penthouse.

I know, I KNOW, you’ll say “That’s a magazine!”, but the thing is… Miss October came bound in leather. <rim shot>

-Thanks-

Wow. Reading this thread = me feeling immediately dumb.

My favourite books are Harry Potter. No question. Closely followed by almost anything by John Marsden or Nick Earls. Gangster by Lorenzo Carcaterra is one of my all time favourite books.

Just about the only literary type inclusion I have is A Clockwork Orange.

:/

Everyone here loves Harry Potter, right?

I have a question because you're Australian. Have you read a book called The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas?
He's Australian and apparently it's enjoyed godlike success on your island nation.

i've never been much of a reader until recently. my favorite might be American Psycho, or any bret easton ellis book really. breakfast of champions is very good. and a clockwork orange is the first book that i voluntarily read from beginning to end- amazing.

speaking of kerouac, i just bought dharma bums and on the road, per recommendation. havent gotten around to reading either of them yet but i'm looking forward to it.

and i just realized the 3 fav books i mentioned are all films now haha. yay for the adaptations of american psycho and a clock work orange... boooo breakfast of champtions. (fucking bruce willis and nick nolte.)

i didnt think anyone could ever make a movie out of a vonnegut book, but i heard the adaptation of slaughter house 5 is good.

Everyone here loves Harry Potter, right?

I have a question because you're Australian. Have you read a book called The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas?
He's Australian and apparently it's enjoyed godlike success on your island nation.

IDK I haven't read or seen any of them. But its not really "up my alley".

Back