Esitial Kit for DSLR (T2i)

OK, im pretty much done, finished, I cant fight this feeling any longer. Take me t2i, take me now!

After I buy the camera, Im dumping ALL my other gear. My tripod, 35mm adapter, camera, lenses, shoulder rig, external monitor,Beachtek preamp, follow focus, all of it. To buy one or two QUALITY items.

(I have my external audio kit and will keep that)

The tripod is HUGE and I want something lighter and more portable. I want to simplify.

So aside from camera and lenses, what is essential?
Extra batteries
Extra mem Cards
LCD View finder
Tripod
???

There's always going to be a new version of whatever you're using on the horizon. If you always wait for it to come down in price or for the new version of something, then you'll never get it because when it does come out the next new one is just around the corner. No sense in perpetually waiting when you can be using it soon :)

the monitor x has a rubber attachment that covers both eyes so you can view the magnified lcd without glare. on jag35.com under the monitor x you will see it as a "hood".

Last edited:
Boom. Pulled the trigger (GH2) paid in full. Got to love the employee discount.
Got the body $675 and a basic kit lens (14/45, f3.5, the cheapest NEW one I could get) for $253. Next lens purchase will be either the 20mm or 14mm, and what ever other pawn shop beauties I can find.

Now I just have to wait for it to get here (back order :( )

Daymn!

I shoot reality TV where the camera is running all the time
and haven't shot 100GB in a day. I average closer to
half that in a 12 hour shooting day.
You sure do shoot a LOT of footage.

Rik, my figures add up to 34gb in a day..LESS than what you say you shot in a day ( 1/2 of 100gb = 50 ) ..soooo Damn...You sure do shoot a LOT of footage !!! he he he

To each his own...

SERIOUSLY ...since "film is cheap" when shooting digital... I let her rip. I like to get coverage and I let the talent loose on a take or two, let them do it their way and see what happens. Id rather be shooting, working w/ the talent or setting up for the next take than sorting thru takes and deleting

Indiebudget, you're right -- "film" is cheap, so if you've got it, no harm in using it. Just to clarify, though, what I do takes literally less than two seconds to delete something that I'm absolutely 100% positive I will never use (plus it saves me the time later of having to log the useless footage). Whatever, we're sort of making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you've got the extra storage, and don't mind using it up, more power to ya'.

wheat, congrats on the purchase. I've been wanting to hear about the GH2, but so far, all I've heard has been from sales-people (whom I don't trust). You're the first "real" person I know to try it out, so please let us know how it works out.

You know, if I ever get serious with this indie thing, I'll buy a small mobo, with an atom processor, and build a small PC into a pelican case, to download stuff from my SD cards into hard drives, and stu---

Halfway into typing this I realized that laptops exist.

Rik, my figures add up to 34gb in a day..LESS than what you say you shot in a day ( 1/2 of 100gb = 50 ) ..soooo Damn...You sure do shoot a LOT of footage !!! he he he

To each his own...

I was responding to:
If you are going to do any serious production, you can shoot 90 - 100gb in a full day,

That seems like a lot for a feature. On a reality show we gotta
roll all the time. You never know what you may get. Even getting
full coverage and eight to ten takes I have never shot 90 - 100GB
in a full day. Even though I think my productions are serious.

No condemnation from me. If you shoot 90 - 100GB per day it is, as
you say, to each his own.

Rik...thanxx 4 sharing. Im still amazed at how many Gb's one can shoot in a day, you say up to 50 and me up to 35 ( so far )...I just wanna be prepared.. I hate it when Im loaded up and my cards are full..Yes I can offload to a laptop or an external, but what if something happens? I want the ability to offload everything onto my editing computer the following day..I never want to trust an external HD or anything w/ my footage. If my editing computer will not take the footage, I will want to take immediate action. I want to go loaded for bear as it were is my point. I trust no one...even myself. I have accidentally erased footage I have shot before..once doing stills on a glamour shoot and once on the current short Im working on ( I luckily was able to recover ).... never again...never !

I guess what I was saying is I want that capacity...yup I have done 35ish gb in a day.. I want breathing room. I label each card starting at 1 thru 3 and i'm very protective of them thru the shoot, at the end of the day I know first and foremost where those cards and my cam is for the next day..

Last edited:
Wheatgrinder,

If you go to YouTube and just put in what kind of camera you have, A LOT of stuff will come up with your T2i and test shots. Keep your lenses because from what I am seeing, it just elevates what you shoot on those little cameras from okay to some of the best footage I've seen in video.

...and I'm one of the "I-ain't-gettin'-no-photography-camera" hold outs. You can't argue with results. Now, I have to figure out how practical it would be....

-- spinner :cool:

I still am.

I find it unfathomable that Canon would expect filmmakers to use these 7D to actually make a feature length film. I still think it was, for lack of a better phrase, "an accident" that those cameras translated into what they are now. But then again, why or how it happened is irrelevant.

What I would expect from Canon, and all the other videocam makers, would be an actual video camera that could achieve the quality of picture that these camera are giving. It only makes sense that they would be. And it also would have to be monetarily competitive. I mean, who would purchase a new $4,000 camera, if $2500 can give you the results I've seen. Camera = $1000 = lense = $1500. That's the set up an acquaintance of mine has. The footage is gorgeous.

-- spinner :cool:

Back