Disney Buys Lucas Films? Including Star Wars?

I hope they undo all the tinkering changes he made. But he knows that the fan base looks down on what he's been doing, which may be why he gave it up.

I'm pretty excited. Disney makes great movies. Every now and them they drop a bomb, but it's usually straight to DVD or TV.

Even if future Star Wars movies are terrible, it will never change hoe great the original three are. I think this is a win-win-win for Lucas, Disney and fans in general.

I know they have the star tours ride... but can you imagine how amazing an entire section of Disneyland themed around Star Wars would be?

The truth is that Episodes 7, 8 and 9 were written before the first frame of film was exposed for Episode 4.

I'm sorry. This is simply not the truth. :mope:

There are rough ideas, story fragments, dreamed-up & unused characters, and a universe of backstory & fill - certainly not scripts, nor even a solid story.

Sulaco said:
with Australia being so far behind the States sometimes (and I suspect more so at that time) it is possible they were added on after for the AU release.

There was no title card for the Australian/NZ release. The Episode 4 title card was added for the '81 re-release of SW, a year after Empire.

Last edited:
There are rough ideas, story fragments, dreamed-up & unused characters, and a universe of backstory & fill - certainly not scripts, nor even a solid story.

Yeah, which is why it fluctuated between 9 and 12 films, before eventually settling on 'probably 9'..

I'm pretty sure I heard mention of at one point an idea for an entire movie about wookies...

Certainly ideas and even potentially plot points or ideas, but certainly nothing concrete, and definitely nothing scripted.

If he had scripted all 9 films at once, perhaps the prequel trilogy would've been much more on-par with the first three...
Although who knows with all the constant tinkering he's done over the years.

George Lucas likes to re-write history as much as he likes to mess with his finished films. Is it any surprise there is disagreement about what's true and what isn't.

What is a solid fact is that when Star Wars came out it was simply called Star Wars and the episode numbers were added to the prints later.

Where it gets muddy is when we try to speculate on what was in Lucas' head at that time. We know that he took a lot of inspiration for SW in sci-fi serials like Flash Gordon. So does it fit that he had grand ideas about making SW into a set of feature-length serials? Absolutely. But we only hear him actually talking about it after the first film came out.

Anyway... also, here's something from a trade magazine at the time. It's just industry gossip but if the interview is accurate, it's definitely relevant:
This interview with producer Gary Kurtz is the first time the "Star Wars" sequel is referred to as "The Empire Strikes Back." What's remarkable here is how ridiculous it seems to Kurtz to number the films, because that would be way too confusing.

December 1978:

The film, for instance, is never referred to in Lucas-Kurtz circles as "Star Wars II." "I would never call it that," Kurtz winces. "Our working title is 'The Empire Strikes Back.' And as I said, it's part of a plan that George and I had from the inception of the original film. What we wanted to do was relate every subsequent 'Star Wars' adventure as an episode of a continuing story, like the old serials used to do. We were going to call this movie 'Star Wars Episode Two: The Empire Strikes Back,' but we ran into some problems. You see, although this story is a direct sequel to the first movie, we have three more stories that we eventually want to film that actually occur before the point where the first 'Star Wars' begins.

"So, we've been toying with the idea of ignoring the numbers completely. Instead, we'll give each movie episode a unique title. I mean, if we had to give each film its true number in the series, this movie would be called 'Episode Five: The Empire Strikes Back.' The first film would be called 'Episode Four'! Can you imagine how complicated it would get? If we released a story like that publicly through a press release, thousands of people would be totally confused. Everyone would want to know what happened to the other three movies."

-Starlog Magazine, December 1978

Is it also true that Fox actually owns the rights to 4?

So, if they make new Indiana Jones films, who would you like to see cast as Indie?

Man, I've been having a tough time coming up with even one actor that seems to fit right, so far.

The best I've come up with so far:

Hugh Jackman?

Clive Owen? The British accent wouldn't do. Don't know how he is at affecting a Yank accent.

Who the heck would be right to take over for Harrison Ford?

Michael Fassbender has the looks and edge, but Nathan Fillion has the charm and sense of humor...

Either of them would be my choice.

But I doubt a new Indy will happen anytime soon. I read that Disney didn't actually put a value on the Indy franchise due to Paramount still holding a stake. Unless they get the particulars worked out with a rival studio, don't count on it... But I'd still look forward to another Indy movie more than a Star Wars movie...

Oh, great choices, LasVegasIRA.

Come on, Disney and Paramount. Get together, work it out, make it happen. There's lots of moneyyy to be made. ;)

So, next Indiana Jones, so far:

Michael Fassbender.
Nathon Fillion.
Clive Owen.
Hugh Grant.
?

Indy reboot? Based strictly on his performance in Avengers, I think Mark Ruffalo could do the role justice.

Personally, I'd much prefer to see a direct sequel/spinoff. I know Shia isn't super popular, but his Mutt Jones is cool with me. I'd love to see Harrison come back one more time, and pass the baton.

As far as Star Wars is concerned, it just dawned on me that Lucasfilm will likely maintain a certain level of creative autonomy, much like Pixar and Marvel do, and gives me hope.

And as for Father Lucas, it's been reported that he is donating almost all of the 4bil to charity. With that, he had earned eternal admiration from me. Faith in humanity restored! :D

Personally, I'd much prefer to see a direct sequel/spinoff. I know Shia isn't super popular, but his Mutt Jones is cool with me. I'd love to see Harrison come back one more time, and pass the baton.

I agree with this 100%. Or if they have to have a character named Indiana Jones, just recast, don't reboot. Tell another story without rewriting all the continuity of the others. Hell, we had a whole TV series where Indiana was played by a bunch of different actors. But I like the idea of following Mutt so the stories can move forward in time. Keep it retro, but keep moving the bar for retro. Of course, a lot of people didn't like that about 4 (I personally did).

Related note: every year I celebrate Dia de los Muertos with a bottle of Mezcal, and usually some sort of movie marathon. This year my girlfriend and I have decided on Indiana Jones, so that's what we'll be doing all day tomorrow!

As far as Star Wars is concerned, it just dawned on me that Lucasfilm will likely maintain a certain level of creative autonomy, much like Pixar and Marvel do, and gives me hope.

Gives you hope? A new hope? (sorry, that joke was bad even by my standards)

Back