Disney Buys Lucas Films? Including Star Wars?

"Star Wars Episode 7" is scheduled for release in 2015.

WHY!!!!!!???????????????????

WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHYWHY

"Star Wars Episode 7" is scheduled for release in 2015.

WHY!!!!!!???????????????????

WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHY
WHYWHY

It's a gold mine, that's why :)
It will make money, and with Disney backing it up - the stores will be flooded with Star Wars toys..

This actually makes sense, since the last three films were pretty mickey-mouse anyway...
emotrimshotwd1.gif

Starring Miley Cyrus as princess Lea
Justin Bieber as Darth Vader

Directed By Jonas Brothers

Because George Lucas has to shit somewhere !

Actually it does make sense to me,maybe Lucas wants to buy another Island or something ?

Disney owns Marvel. I loved Avengers. If they get a team that cares as much about Star Wars, then new films might be a good thing. Huge universe to play with there.

Oh, and as long as Star Wars Detours still comes out. Looking forward to that; the animation is adorable!

Well, Disney can't make it worse than the prequels. Rik, let's find an algorithm to see what happens when Episode 7 comes out.

I wonder, though, what George Lucas will be doing with the money, though.

I guess I didn't realize that as long as Lucas isn't directing or writing, then it has the possibility to be good

Is it a seventh episode as in sequel to Retur of the Jedi or just a seventh Star Wars feature.

I'd fear the first but be most excited about the second. I always felt after episode 3 that today's technology in filmmaking calls for more SW movies. There is a whole background to be explored, stories that happened ages before Darth Vader and ages after.

the prequels kinda made me hate the originals. I haven't seen them in so long... and I used to watch them all at least once a month

I find this very surprising. I would think that Lucas would want to keep control over his Star Wars franchise because he did not have a good working relationship with other studios. I'm not sure why he would do this. George Lucas has enough money to make the movie he want's right?

Maybe the Star Wars universe has become more than just "his" movies. Just seems odd that he would sell it to Disney.

He's had a love/hate relationship with Star Wars for quite some time as he felt creatively hampered by his commercial success and his need to generate profit. Perhaps this is his return to his freedom (see "Reel Talent" and the original "THX1138" short for some examples of where he started -- brilliant and artistic).

I've always loved the various book series' expansion of the universe as well.

Yes, I remember watching a documentary that had some archive footage of him, looking slumped, depressed, saying "I wish I never made Star Wars."

I definitely remember liking the book trilogy that was supposed to be episodes 7-9. I hope they do something along those lines (but getting good writers and maybe even going for a, dare-I-say, gritty re-boot.)\

After that, as knightly said, there are many good books out there taking place in that universe that would make excellent films. There was one in particular that was very good, I'm not sure if I'm remembering right but I think the name was 'I, Jedi.'

I think this is great news! More Star Wars? And it won't be ruined by Lucas? Sweet! :yes:

I'm feeling like Fry in that popular meme.

Not sure if "best news ever" or "worst news ever."

If Disney is smart, they give it to Whedon, give him a massive budget, and tell him "Make all three however you want ... GO!"

(article I read mentioned ep 7, 8, and 9 on 2-3 year intervals)

It is a deep world, so lots of story opportunities.

Back