Dark Knight Rises - Preperation

Few reviews coming out now but im not going to read any! I liked this line under the review pic on the Empire website :P

"God help the bloke who reboots this"

I'm getting so pumped it's unbelievable. These reviews are already making it sound like one of the best films this year, or even a contender for Best Picture.

"Epic and jaw-dropping. A brilliant masterpiece." -CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, Cindy Pearlman

"A film of grand ambitions and epic achievement. The most eagerly anticipated movie of summer 2012 was worth waiting for." -TIME, Richard Corliss

"The sheer scope of Nolan's vision – with emotion and spectacle thundering across the screen – is staggering. The Dark Knight Rises is the King Daddy of summer movie epics."
- ROLLING STONE, Peter Travers

"Big-time Hollywood filmmaking at its most massively accomplished, this last installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy makes everything in the rival Marvel universe look thoroughly silly and childish." -HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, Todd McCarthy

Sweet Jesus! Friday can't come any sooner.

DeJager said:
I'll probably catch it on blu ray when it comes out!
Dreadylocks said:
I'll probably just wait for it to come out on dvd.

Wow, I really hope you two are kidding. Seriously. And if you two are, which, God help you, you are, then bad joke.
And if you two watched "The Avengers" in theaters, or even in 3-D, then you two should feel really, really bad about yourselves.

Dready, I think you'd actually like The Avengers. It's the most comedic of any superhero movie I've ever seen.

BTW, Fernando, when you said "Friday", didn't you mean "Thursday"? :weird:

I'd like to know what films you think are worth seeing in theaters, then. :hmm:
Sorry if I'm destroying your world, but we've got different tastes. I'm not a fanboy and I'm not excited about the new batman. Is that hurting anybody?

To answer your question though, if a film looks interesting to me, (and as long as it's not a talky drama or indie flick where the 'big screen' isn't going to enhance the experience), then I think it's worth seeing in the theater. For example, I thought the Hunger Games looked good and it looked like it was going to have nice visuals and action, so I went for that. Same with Planet of the Apes. Those are the last two films I remember seeing in a theater.

I'm going to see a couple upgraded HD episodes of Star Trek in the theater next week since I don't own a blu-ray player--that's worth it to me.

Maybe I'm just weird but paying a ton for tickets, sitting in a room where I can't drink or smoke for 2-3 hours is something that I'm only willing to do for things I'm really excited about.

Dready, I think you'd actually like The Avengers. It's the most comedic of any superhero movie I've ever seen.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably watch it once it's out on DVD. :)

Fanboy? This isn't even a Batman film to me. I could care less for action films, let alone superhero movies, but Nolan's transcended the genre, and in my opinion that's worth going to a theater for. But alas, we all have our opinions. I assume yours makes sense.

sitting in a room where I can't drink or smoke for 2-3 hours is something that I'm only willing to do for things I'm really excited about.

Lorna-Gobey_1589754c.jpg

This is what I pictured when I read that... I have no idea why. :lol:

Nolan's a fine director. Clearly he's a favorite of yours, nothing wrong with loving a director and their work. :)

Like I said, I thought the Dark Knight was good, but Batman Begins was really mediocre and I don't see how he can replicate what was good about DK without Heath Ledger, who totally made that movie. And the trailers for the new one just make it look as if Michael Bay did Batman. Which is why I'm not really excited about it.

I will give it a chance because the Dark Knight was good, but unless the reviews are universally awesome and make it sound like more than the sum of it's parts, I'm gonna wait for the dvd. :)

Where did you get that picture?! No fair! I wasn't wearing make-up that day!

Ha, looks like a Muppets character.

In regards to the thread, I spent 4 hours trying to buy 2 tickets for the London IMAX. Got them, and now I can't find anyone (at the moment) to go with.

Though I could use the seat next to me for my drinks & popcorn... and my dignity.

Nolan's a fine director. Clearly he's a favorite of yours, nothing wrong with loving a director and their work. :)

Like I said, I thought the Dark Knight was good, but Batman Begins was really mediocre and I don't see how he can replicate what was good about DK without Heath Ledger, who totally made that movie. And the trailers for the new one just make it look as if Michael Bay did Batman. Which is why I'm not really excited about it.

I will give it a chance because the Dark Knight was good, but unless the reviews are universally awesome and make it sound like more than the sum of it's parts, I'm gonna wait for the dvd. :)

I've got to agree with you there. Batman Begins was mediocre to the point I was dragged to Dark Knight.

(But I sure am glad that person dragged me.)

Real life schtuff is making me see the movie on the 28th.:rolleyes:

I've come to realize that I just like movies. I'm easy to please, there have only been a handful of films I've seen that I didn't enjoy.

That said, I really liked Begins and TDK haha.

Batman Begins > The Dark Knight

'nuff said.

Yeah, the bland performances by usually great actors, shaky-cam, and a film that seems like it's really two spliced together really make it superior to the dark, gritty Crime film that knows what it's trying to be. Also, no shaky-cam in the sequel and better yet, Heath Ledger!

I mean, really. Who's better: Ledger or Neeson?

Who's the better Rachel: Maggie or Katie?

Plus, there's no heart in Begins. At least Dark Knight feels like there's a message and it's genuine fun, whereas Begins leaves me bored, and cold. It's {without-a-doubt} Nolan's worst film. (for me)

I respect that you like it better, but I can't agree with that statement.

Last edited:
Batman Begins is incredible and outstanding. It's one of the best told origin stories of all time and just short of The Dark Knight, and the second best comic book movie. It being anywhere near mediocre is an outrageous statement :hmm: And if Nolan had a worst film, it'd be Insomnia and even that was amazing.

But The Dark Knight is a flat-out masterpiece. The story and screenplay were flawlessly paced, the acting was fantastic (Ledger was perfect, but didn't really overshadow everyone, especially Eckhart) and the cinematography and ridiculous set pieces were one-of-a-kind. It's the best action film of all time because it has a brain, heart and, well, serious action.

That said, TDKR has a lot to live up to - and to top.

Last edited:
Yeah, the bland performances by usually great actors, shaky-cam, and a film that seems like it's really two spliced together really make it superior to the dark, gritty Crime film that knows what it's trying to be. Also, no shaky-cam in the sequel and better yet, Heath Ledger!

I mean, really. Who's better: Ledger or Neeson?

Who's the better Rachel: Maggie or Katie?

Plus, there's no heart in Begins. At least Dark Knight feels like there's a message and it's genuine fun, whereas Begins leaves me bored, and cold. It's {without-a-doubt} Nolan's worst film. (for me)

I respect that you like it better, but I can't agree with that statement.

I like Katie Holmes.

That is my answer.

As good as TDK is, it's full of holes in the action. With what seems like more action scenes in TDKR I am curious to see if it's improved at all.

Back