CovidTalk

California Will Soon Be Paying $1,250 To People Who Test Positive For Coronavirus

Not quite accurate. Alameda County (Oakland) is looking at a proposal to pay 2 weeks benefit to residents who have tested positive for the virus and are NOT otherwise collecting unemployment or sick pay. Alameda County residents "need to be referred by a designated clinic in an area classed as high-risk". Los Angeles County is considering a similar plan, but there is no state wide proposal.

It’s a smart idea - our second wave became so bad due to people failing to isolate because they needed to work to make money...

90% of people with symptoms weren’t isolating between symptom onset and getting tested, and around half of people who were tested weren’t isolating between getting tested and receiving their result. Random door-knocking returned hundreds of examples of positive cases that weren’t isolating.

So we’re in full lockdown - with a curfew from 8pm to 5am, a 5km limit on travel for almost anything other than essential work (and you must carry a work permit), one person per day allowed out to shop for essentials only, one hour of exercise per day only with only one other person, and the majority of shops and workplaces are closed.

Jax, I have absolutely no argument with that whatsoever... except that there is zero accountability and zero verification other than claimants making a pinkie promise that they're stay home. And the second wave wasn't so much people needing to work, it was 50,000 people claiming their civil rights were violated by having to wear masks on our Southern California beaches or at block parties or concerts. BTW, the beaches are open for "active use" only... "passive use' is still prohibited. In case those terms confuse you (like they did me), passive use means laying a towel out and reading a book, getting some sun, watching the kids build sand castles. Sorry, you can't do that.

Are you going ok down there? I've been hearing that the supermarkets down there have been stripped bear once again.
I was at COSTCO yesterday and Von's today. And the only shortage with ANYTHING (certain sizes of goods may not be available) was that nobody seems to be able to stock Jelly Belly's these days! Hamburger (ground/minced beef) is $5-6 a pound, but chicken is $1-1.50 per pound all day. Johnnie Walker Double Black costs less, eggs vary between $150 and 4 a dozen, depending on how happy the hens were that day. At least in Palm Springs, we've never had shelves stripped bear, but GOOD toilet paper, disinfectant wipes, bags of pasta and dried beans were being hoarded, but if you knew how to scoop dried beans from the barrel into a plastic bag, you could find all the bulk beans you needed. At least in my neck of the woods, at it's worst it was more like last minute shopping the night before Thanksgiving. No turkeys, no pies, rolls, cans of sweet potatoes, green beans, or condensed milk, but plenty of olives (none big enough to fit on your fingers), jellied cranberry, and off-brand whipped cream made with recycled cooking oil.

Last edited:
typhoid mary was detained for a year or so... and then she "promised" she wouldn't work as a chef anymore so they released her
immediately she changes her name, works for a family as a private chef and starts killing people again.

bc people are assholes and you can't trust them.

typhoid mary was detained for a year or so... and then she "promised" she wouldn't work as a chef anymore so they released her
immediately she changes her name, works for a family as a private chef and starts killing people again.

bc people are assholes and you can't trust them.
I don't remember exactly, but I think she was detained (after "promising to "behave") 3 or 4 times. Sort of like my grandson...

I don't remember exactly, but I think she was detained (after "promising to "behave") 3 or 4 times. Sort of like my grandson...

yes eventually she was placed in indefinite detention when it was obvious she was a liar that cant be trusted

Are you going ok down there? I've been hearing that the supermarkets down there have been stripped bear once again.
We’re coping okay.. I’ve been able to pick up a little bit of work I can do from home which is nice to have a bit of money coming in.

We’ve been ordering shopping online so that we don’t have to venture to the shops often (and based on how busy the post office was when I went last week it appears many people are using the shops as a good way to get out of the house...), and haven’t had too much issue with getting anything delivered which is good; it is pretty much a matter of getting what you need rather than necessarily what you want but we’re generally able to get most of the things we need. Thankfully the shortages so far appear to be manifesting in things like taco sauce and lemons, rather than toilet paper.

There’s an overall sense of claustrophobia and hopelessness to some extent - that even if I wanted to get out of Melbourne or Australia I’m not able to and that we may not be back to anything even remotely normal before the end of the year... so it’s kinda strange but I find if I don’t pay too much attention to the media it’s much easier!

Though I will say it gets a bit boring - the Nintendo switch has been the best purchase!!
Jax, I have absolutely no argument with that whatsoever... except that there is zero accountability and zero verification other than claimants making a pinkie promise that they're stay home. And the second wave wasn't so much people needing to work, it was 50,000 people claiming their civil rights were violated by having to wear masks on our Southern California beaches or at block parties or concerts. BTW, the beaches are open for "active use" only... "passive use' is still prohibited. In case those terms confuse you (like they did me), passive use means laying a towel out and reading a book, getting some sun, watching the kids build sand castles. Sorry, you can't do that.
I hear you - people doing the absolute wrong thing have been disastrous for us, and our government’s slowness to act - and the confusion around restrictions - hasn’t helped.

We now have military and police door-knocking positive cases to ensure they’re home and $5k fines for people who aren’t isolating - appears to be the same kind of people who do the wrong thing are also the type to complain about public health measures designed to stop those doing the wrong thing...

I’ve said right from the start if nothing else, this will be a fascinating study of human nature that will be talked about for decades to come.

Last edited:
We now have military and police door-knocking positive cases to ensure they’re home and $5k fines for people who aren’t isolating - appears to be the same kind of people who do the wrong thing are also the type to complain about public health measures designed to stop those doing the wrong thing...

I think we'll need this if we're ever to get things under control in the US - but I hope I'm wrong.

You couldn't pay me enough to try Putin's vaccine :) - unless/until it's thoroughly tested in a country in which I have more confidence. That could be the US, but also the UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, France....the list is long, but Russia isn't on it.

Last edited:
Back