• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

contemplating chapter-cards

Ok, so I finished my first cut of "Antihero" and overall, I like it. Needless to say, there are issues, though.

One problem I'm seeing is that some of the scenes need seperation from each other. The majority of this movie is two dudes getting into shenanigans. Although each scene definitely works on it's own, they still butt up against each other a little too much. My initial plan was just to seperate them by establishing shots of whatever location they are at.

Last night, the thought crossed my mind to use chapters, with title-cards. Though I didn't write it or shoot it with this in mind, it might actually fit.

My question is if anybody has any alternative ideas? Other than with establishing shots or chapter titles, any ideas for how to create a little more seperation?

Note: re-shoots are not feasibly possible.

Thanks.

If I am understanding you correctly, then some quick avenues of possibility that come to mind are:

*(Obviously) title cards at each chapter.

*Leading the story with a series of title cards that also tell a story or part of the story or using famous quotes or old addages or that which might represent something in overview at each chapter point.

*Establishing shots with the interior audio over the exterior shot to ease into the scenes.

*Slow/longish dissolves for passage of time.

*Abrupt short musical interludes with a super at each chapter point.

*A extremely well written voice over on top of establishing shots or over a collection of elements that represent the world of the characters that glues it all together. (Like if you set up (Trashed I guess) a room that was filled with everything that represents the boys (empty 40's and pizza boxes everywhere, posters, a shoe in the fishtank... whatever) almost like being inside their heads, and you just pan across or dolly across or just jump from one thing to the next in that room in between scenes with a super or a V.O.)

-Thanks-

You mean like in Clerks or Inglorious Batstards? That sort of thing??? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I don't think it'd work for most movies, but I think it'll fit just fine in "Antihero", because each section of the movie is almost stand-alone. I've got these approximately ten-minute chunks of movie that piece together into a larger story, but work within themselves as smaller stories. Deliniating them with chapters might actually make sense.

If I am understanding you correctly, then some quick avenues of possibility that come to mind are:

*Leading the story with a series of title cards that also tell a story or part of the story or using famous quotes or old addages or that which might represent something in overview at each chapter point.

You are understanding me correctly. I like your idea of inserting an old addage, or a famous quote. If I were forced at gunpoint to make a decision right now, that's what I would do. I especially like that because I can choose to make it obvious, or subtle, foreshadow, or even throw out sort of a Red Herring. I've got time to think this through, but I at this point, I think I like this option best. Thanks!

*Establishing shots with the interior audio over the exterior shot to ease into the scenes.

Yeah, that was the original plan, and that's how I shot it. But now that I've edited it, it's just feeling a little too sitcom-ish, if that makes any sense.

*Slow/longish dissolves for passage of time.

*Abrupt short musical interludes with a super at each chapter point.

Of course, I appreciate you tossing out all ideas, but I'm not a fan of either of these methods.

*A extremely well written voice over on top of establishing shots or over a collection of elements that represent the world of the characters that glues it all together. (Like if you set up (Trashed I guess) a room that was filled with everything that represents the boys (empty 40's and pizza boxes everywhere, posters, a shoe in the fishtank... whatever) almost like being inside their heads, and you just pan across or dolly across or just jump from one thing to the next in that room in between scenes with a super or a V.O.)

Hmm, that's a thought. Probably not. I'm usually not too fond of VO, but like you said, if it's extremely well written (and brief), maybe... I'll keep this in mind as at least a possiblity.

Thanks!

My thoughts exactly. I would go as far to use all three suggested techniques. Starting with the chapter card, the audio from the scene starting perhaps a few milliseconds after, followed by a quick establishing shot of the new location.

Given what you've told us, Cracker. This appears ideal.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions at the moment. But I'm curious how long your first cut ended up being? Are you sitting on a 3 hour movie? :P

I wish I was. Cuz then I could cut it down to a length more appropriate. No, it's currently at 78 minutes, and I plan to add 5 minutes of credits (1.5 minute openning credits, 3.5 rolling end-credits).

Paper, your suggestion is probably what I'll do, combining my original plan (establishing shots) with the new idea (chapter cards, in the form of addages, famous quotes, etc). Thanks!

1. Skimpily clad girls a la World Wrestling Federation with placards.

2. Puppets

3. Jeopardy theme music and a mime.

4. A shot of a full beer mug that shot after shot slowly loses its head.

5. Clown faces. Clowns are skeery. Could inject a little touch of horror.

Just trying to be helpful.

-C

Insert dated Public Service Announcements that are themed appropriately for the scene.. and be a good citizen to boot! (Irony would be good here!)

Similarly you can have a separate "plot" in the interludes that somehow ties in with your story..

Like if your movie was a love story your interluded could be a 1950's wildlife show on the mating habits of the African lion or somit like that..
sorta a metaphor for your story..

Last edited:
Just in case you wanted some other ideas (I personally like the Title Cards idea and you could do them really creatively):

In the movie 'Youth in Revolt' they intersperse it with stop motion clay vignettes illustrating where the story is going. It looks pretty cool if you've got the time or steady hands.

In the movie 'Walkabout' the film occasionally cuts to shots of seemingly unrelated things. It works brilliantly in the film (which is not a comedy) which uses these shots as a juxtaposition/parallel. But this could be applied, artistically, to a comedy as well especially if you changed the tone. Maybe you could download some amusing home videos from people on YouTube or whatever and then when you need to change scene you have a lower quality home video of a kid falling over, or whatever. That's certainly another way of breaking stuff up.

wheat, Nick, thanks for the suggestions. Lots of good ideas. In a seperate thread, Dready mentioned the idea of a comic-book panel type of thing. That makes a lot of sense for this story, because it is a superhero origin-story. I still like the idea of adding relavent addages/famous quotes, and I think the two can be combined.

That was more with reference to the style, I think they look reyou mean that yally cool like that. Or do you mean that you want it more comic booky? Any how I think that that's a good choice.

Painted black cats and what not.

Note: re-shoots are not feasibly possible.

How about shooting something new, to add?

Two things on my mind:

1) Narrator-style breakaway, such as the Narrator in Rocky Horror.

2) Some kind of ongoing bumpers, such as The Balladeer from Dukes of Hazard tv show.

Just thinking out loud.

If all else fails, just superimpose this video where the breaks should be.

:lol:

Yes, shooting new stuff is a definite possibility. In fact, I've got one scene already that I plan to shoot. It's sort of a re-shoot, but technically something new. I can't do re-shoots because actors have cut their hair, shaved their faces, and I can't ask them to re-grow, plus half my cast has moved to Chicago. There is one scene (basically an epilogue) that makes perfect sense to take place at a later time.

Your idea of interludes of narration. Hmm, that's a good idea. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the comic-book/famous quotes idea, but I'll keep this one in mind. It's worth considering. Thanks.

I like the Creepshow style comic/storyboard. I think with the right art made from actual stills you could comic out and comic back in, and even add storyline that the camera passes over panels of if needed. Would be an awesome art/AE project.

-Thanks-

Back