• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Choosing a Good Title? (help!)

Hey everyone,

After looking around this forum for a couple of days, I was amazed at all of the useful information people have been giving to each other, so I joined. :D

Anyway, I have been working very hard on a new screenplay. Here's a synopsis:

A teenager ran away from home because of his abusive parents. He dropped out of school, lives in his car, works every day, and lives a life full of drugs and alcohol.
Eventually a single mother and her little girl take him in a care for him. The boy becomes a part of their family and is seen as the male figure the little girl never had.
The boy goes back to school and finds the girl of his dreams.

That's basically the story. There's going to be a lot of focus on the car, and the relationship between the boy and the little girl. But I can't think of a decent title, and it's tearing me apart! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

After looking around this forum for a couple of days, I was amazed at all of the useful information people have been giving to each other, so I joined. :D

Anyway, I have been working very hard on a new screenplay. Here's a synopsis:

A teenager ran away from home because of his abusive parents. He dropped out of school, lives in his car, works every day, and lives a life full of drugs and alcohol.
Eventually a single mother and her little girl take him in a care for him. The boy becomes a part of their family and is seen as the male figure the little girl never had.
The boy goes back to school and finds the girl of his dreams.

That's basically the story. There's going to be a lot of focus on the car, and the relationship between the boy and the little girl. But I can't think of a decent title, and it's tearing me apart! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I love choosing titles. You can choose your characters name and write the title. Suppose your character ' name is Edward you can write At last Edward is at home,or Edward finally finds love

padma

I already have character names, but I was trying to stay away from using them.

My ideas included:
Mobile Home - didn't describe the story very well
Coming Home/Finding Home - This one was okay, but it sounded kind of cliche.
The Urban Camper - I like this one, but it take place in the suburbs. The Suburban Camper sounds okay I guess.

welcome!

i like the suburban camper

or

running home, since he thinks hes running away from home but he actually finds home while running away.

PS

i lived in st louis for 2 years. near webster groves.

@ Ernest Worthing

I think I will go with The Suburban Camper as a working title. Thanks for the feedback! And I'm familiar with that area.

@ bird

Thanks for warning me about using Coming Home as a title.

I'm kinda stuck on the car angle. I don't have any particular titles in mind, but something using the car as a metaphor for moving forward could be interesting.

Maybe? :)

Suburban (In the suburbs, and car is an old Suburban)

Edit: Didn't see The Suburban Camper, just a coincidence.

i was thinking, if he was to stay in a specific part of the city, like per say he would park his car for the most part of the film in "tatterdemalion Dr" (theres irony in the name) to sleep, it could be called just that "tatterdemalion Dr" or perhapse a street name a bit more fancy.

If it were my story ( And it never is :( ), I would do a slice of life thing where a kid runs away and plans to drive to CA, but on the way his car breaks down, then gets impounded, so he’s forced to spend the little money he has to get the car back, and then has no money to get it fixed -so he is stuck.

One night in a down pour he notices this woman with a child lurking in doorways and ill dressed for the weather, when she begins getting harassed by some drunk, the kid invites her (woman and child) into his car, where he learns she is also down on her luck and looking to get to out of town as well.

They obviously hit it off and woman comes up with the idea to rent the kids backseat because while she does have a waitress gig, she doesn’t have anywhere to go (Whole bad relationship on the run thing) and can’t afford to get out of town and away from a bad scene if she rents somewhere.

I don't know what else would happen at the moment, but I know it would work.

I'd call it like Stuck In Drive, or The Hotel Pontiac.

-Thanks-

If the car is central to the plot and this kid's life is out of control, how about "No Brakes" as a title. It's vague enough until people see a trailer for it, and then it might make perfect sense to them. Good luck

If it were mine and I wanted to incororate the car, I would probably think Switching Gears since it seems like his life changes for the best after being stuck in neutral or reverse.

If it were my story ( And it never is :( ), I would do a slice of life thing where a kid runs away and plans to drive to CA, but on the way his car breaks down, then gets impounded, so he’s forced to spend the little money he has to get the car back, and then has no money to get it fixed -so he is stuck.

One night in a down pour he notices this woman with a child lurking in doorways and ill dressed for the weather, when she begins getting harassed by some drunk, the kid invites her (woman and child) into his car, where he learns she is also down on her luck and looking to get to out of town as well.

They obviously hit it off and woman comes up with the idea to rent the kids backseat because while she does have a waitress gig, she doesn’t have anywhere to go (Whole bad relationship on the run thing) and can’t afford to get out of town and away from a bad scene if she rents somewhere.

I don't know what else would happen at the moment, but I know it would work.

I'd call it like Stuck In Drive, or The Hotel Pontiac.

-Thanks-

nice, i can actually visualize that

Back