choosing a camera

im a complete noob and have never tried anything with filming but as of late ive been very interested. now i have found plenty of software so far but im still undecided when it comes to a camera pretty much clueless. i wanna do short films, music videos and docs. any suggestions on a camera? :)

Ok, I, too, am looking for a decent professional camcorder for my son who is a film student. He has a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro X. I have about $3000 to spend. Any advice?

Ok, I, too, am looking for a decent professional camcorder for my son who is a film student. He has a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro X. I have about $3000 to spend. Any advice?

I'd quite like the Canon 5D Mark III, but looking at the Mark II or the 7D might be more within your price range.

A 7D with some nice glass is probably the way to go.

EDIT: Of course, these aren't camcorders but I'm kind of presuming that's not a problem.

Don't get a 7D for film stuff!

Get a T2i or a T3i. They share the same sensor! They look EXACTLY the same. You are paying for photo features and the better build quality!

A T3i with some really nice glass would be good.

Say Canon T3i, Samyang Prime Lens set, Tripod, SD Cards, Batteries and some audio gear! Sorted

But what about a camcorder? He's been looking at th Canon XF 100. Anyone with experiencing using that?
You're going to find that most here are avid DSLR users and supporters - often
to the point of fights. I'm one of the few who still feel a video camera with XLR
inputs is the better all around camera for making movies.

The XF100 is a fine camera. I am a JVC user, preferring their pro cameras over
Canon. In your range I would suggest the GY-HM150. I own it and have use it
on professional shoots - even TV; I used in on "The Amazing Race". I would
also recommend the Panasonic AG-HMC150 over the Canon.

Since your son is a film student I would suggest looking into what his fellow
students are using. I suspect many will be using DSLR's and he may feel more
comfortable using what they are using. In my experience using all of the above
cameras I would (and did) buy the JVC HN150. But the Canon is a fine camera
so if that's the way you are leaning, it will serve him well.

In my experience using all of the above
cameras I would (and did) buy the JVC HN150.

Was it that you really didn't like the limitations of the single 1/3" CMOS on the XF, or do you not like Canons in general for other reasons. A lot of people say the 50Mbps recording and 4:2:2 Color Sampling simply don't trump the single 1/3 CMOS.

I'm gonna do some serious generalizations and oversimplifications here, but...

I feel like DSLRs (when on a low budget) are currently the best option for narrative filmmaking. The ability to change lenses, the ability to shoot in extreme low light, the ability to shoot with as narrow a depth of field as one could ever want. It just gives you so many more options to control your image.

Whereas a good camcorder may often be a better all-around camera. Less options for controlling the image, maybe, but that hasn't stopped a heck of a lot of talented DPs from producing beautiful images. And the main advantage probably comes in the documentary/reality realm. DSLRs ain't so good when it comes to on-the-fly adjustments, and there are definitely advantages to having all audio recorded in-cam.

So, those generalizations were for anybody. My next advice is specifically for parents of kids about to enter film school.

My two cents is that you make affordability your #1 priority. And in that realm, DSLR wins out. And why do I say that price should be your first priority? Because your son is in film school! If they're not teaching him how to shoot on film, he's probably in the wrong damn school. And if they're not teaching him how to shoot on film, they better damn well at least have some good cameras, better than the ones you're contemplating buying. Spend as little as possible, because the camera you buy is gonna be the one he uses for youtube comedy sketches. For all of his class assignments, he'll be using the good stuff -- the equipment provided by the school.

If it's a camera to learn on, I believe a DSLR is a better option too. With a normal camcorder you'll learn how to operate in a video/ENG world with very little control of the image, a DSLR will force you to think more in the cinema world along the line of ISO, shutter speed, focal length, aperture etc.

If it's a camera to learn on, I believe a DSLR is a better option too. With a normal camcorder you'll learn how to operate in a video/ENG world with very little control of the image, a DSLR will force you to think more in the cinema world along the line of ISO, shutter speed, focal length, aperture etc.

I'd recommend the model I used for learning photography. Start with the cheapest camera that gives you a lot of features for your dollar without breaking the bank. Learn everything you can about it and start using it everywhere. Then once you figure out what you want to do that you can't accomplish with that camera, think about upgrading to something more expensive with a more robust feature set.

Continue repeating this step, make sure to analyze your shots and see how you did what along the way, and figure out how you could have done it better.

I'm also looking to buy my first camera, thought I'd save some clutter on these forums and ask my question here...

Can I expect to get a semi-decent camcorder on a budget of, let's say, $300 or less? I really don't want to spend that much money on a camera for now, I just want to get something cheap that allows me to get out there, work on some shorts, and focus on the basics of film making.

The quality doesn't have to be spectacular by any means, I just want something that captures watchable video. Something like this maybe??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...lack/4811263.p?id=1218533333109&skuId=4811263

Any thoughts on this. I'm pretty lost on all of this stuff lol.

I'm also looking to buy my first camera, thought I'd save some clutter on these forums and ask my question here...

Can I expect to get a semi-decent camcorder on a budget of, let's say, $300 or less? I really don't want to spend that much money on a camera for now, I just want to get something cheap that allows me to get out there, work on some shorts, and focus on the basics of film making.

The quality doesn't have to be spectacular by any means, I just want something that captures watchable video. Something like this maybe??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...lack/4811263.p?id=1218533333109&skuId=4811263

I have a barely used HV30 that I'm looking to get rid of... if you're willing to shoot on tape. I'd be willing to sell for between $200 and $250.

I have a barely used HV30 that I'm looking to get rid of... if you're willing to shoot on tape. I'd be willing to sell for between $200 and $250.

Although it's SD, I would strongly recommend the HV30, if I had to choose between these two cameras. It's very important that you are able to control your image, and that means you need manual focus, white balance, and exposure. And unless you want to buy an external audio recorder, you also need a camera with audio input and headphone monitoring. Between these two cameras, only the HV30 comes even close to what you need. And if you're off-put by the fact that it's SD, keep in mind that DVDs are SD, and that's how most people watch movies. So, for the time being, I don't think HD needs to be a priority for you.

Although it's SD, I would strongly recommend the HV30, if I had to choose between these two cameras. It's very important that you are able to control your image, and that means you need manual focus, white balance, and exposure. And unless you want to buy an external audio recorder, you also need a camera with audio input and headphone monitoring. Between these two cameras, only the HV30 comes even close to what you need. And if you're off-put by the fact that it's SD, keep in mind that DVDs are SD, and that's how most people watch movies. So, for the time being, I don't think HD needs to be a priority for you.

The hv30 is actually hd. In fact it can do 1080 24p. It just records to dv tape in the hdv format (mpeg2). It can also do sd.

Dalton - for people getting started with filmmaking at your price point, I recommend the Sony HX9V compact, or the newer HX20V for about the same price. Here are the kind of results you can get with this little camera:

https://vimeo.com/25088008

And here is a review from a professional cameraman: https://vimeo.com/27479517

If you decide you want a camcorder instead, the CX210 will be less expensive at Amazon ($309 instead of the $340 at Best Buy).

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a newb as well and I am researching what camrea to buy on a budget for under $1000, I've read alot of really good things about the Panasonic Lumix GH2 camera which sells for only $800 USD. If you upload some kind of "hack" to it, supposedly it takes fantastic video. Difficult to beat for the money spent, blah, blah blah. Opinions on that? Im not sure if all the hype written about it is true or not.

Back