choosing a camera

im a complete noob and have never tried anything with filming but as of late ive been very interested. now i have found plenty of software so far but im still undecided when it comes to a camera pretty much clueless. i wanna do short films, music videos and docs. any suggestions on a camera? :)

Completely agree with Nick.

Alexa is a good choice.

If you are a pixel peeper and want to shoot 4K or 5K, get the RED Epic!

Both great cameras. I prefer the Alexa.

Sony F65 isn't too bad either! Just recently announced!

If you're just looking to toy around with video then just grab a point and shoot camera for a couple hundred bucks and shoot some video with it. If you're planning on getting more serious with it, then I'd recommend getting a bit of training. Take a few classes, or read a couple of cinematography books or something, then toy around and slowly build up from there.

i dont really have a set price range but i dont wanna spend too much because i wont know what im doing, later on once i know a little more im sure ill upgrade too something better

i dont really have a set price range but i dont wanna spend too much
So you have a max price. A number you can't go over. Right?
Is that $10,000? Is it $25,000? Is it $1,000?

C'mon Bupp, don't make us work so hard. Give us something
to work with here.

I'm gonna stand firm on this:

You've said that you consider yourself a complete noob, right? If that's the case, then focus on your basics. Grab a point and shoot that does video, or even just use your cell phone, and focus on composition, lighting, continuity, etc.

An expert with an iPhone will make a scene that looks significantly more professional than an amateur with a RED Epic.

Back