• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenplay Can you turn this paragraph into a screenplay?

Back again, everyone,

Anyway, the late science fiction legend, Robert Heinlein, said

A science fiction story should involve at least one scientific or technological change, such that, without the change, the story would not be possible. And, aside from that change, the science should not be at odds with what we understand science to be. For example, if you write a story about humans being from Mars, you should explain why we're genetically similar to apes.

Those may not be his exact words, but they sum up what he did say. Can this paragraph be turned into a screenplay? I'm not taking about people talking; I'm talking about this paragraph being the script.

I have a reason for asking, which I will explain once I get the answer. Thanks for your help.

Nick Young Wtf GIF

Thanks everyone. I thought as much.

I was asking because I've been doing quite a bit of writing, and part of the fun in the sci-fi genre is world building. IOW, we have to get into the minutiae of the universe that the story takes place in. One topic would be the nature of the vessels - in Star Trek, it's just the Enterprise and smaller versions, all adapted from the basic model. In the navy, however, there are supply ships, harbour repair ships, barges, and so on. The creative part is in adapting these ships to the space navy.

Another topic would be the nearby stars - I have done some research on the ships that can be used, but I have no idea how to get a map of the nearby stars, so I may have to retain a couple of grad students.

All of these would involve ...... wait for it ...... talking. So I have been thinking of paying conferences to flesh out these ideas. Again, that's the fun in the creative process, and every aspiring mogul will have to decide how much to spend on it. If these conferences are to be held, there would be no script, just essays and discussions.

By the way, in the movie, "Arrival", the producer apparently hired three linguists to develop the language of a more advanced species. The story was a bit slow, and the Star Trek episode, "Darmok" was much better - in fact, that episode has become iconic among Trekkies. Again, the story, not the background, must be the primary focus, but the background can still be fun to build.

OK, I got my answer, which was what I expected. Thanks again, and I will be posting soon about what we can film.

@indietalk, I'm not sure what your emoji is getting at.

Thanks everyone. I thought as much.

I was asking because I've been doing quite a bit of writing, and part of the fun in the sci-fi genre is world building. IOW, we have to get into the minutiae of the universe that the story takes place in. One topic would be the nature of the vessels - in Star Trek, it's just the Enterprise and smaller versions, all adapted from the basic model. In the navy, however, there are supply ships, harbour repair ships, barges, and so on. The creative part is in adapting these ships to the space navy.

Star Trek is an excellent example. On the 60's TV series, due to
budget,we never see the full fleet of ships. And it didn't matter.
We were invested in the story. As the stories expanded into movies
and other series we saw more ships; supply ships, harbor repair
ships, barges, and so on. But story was always what made the
Star Trek world relevant, engaging and interesting. Not talking
about ships.
Another topic would be the nearby stars - I have done some research on the ships that can be used, but I have no idea how to get a map of the nearby stars, so I may have to retain a couple of grad students.
I wonder if you have typed "a map of the nearby start" into a search
engine.

Back