Can an Editor become a director?

I'm not an editor yet but I want to be one when I go to university and everything. At first I want to work on stuff like Adverts, Music Videos, Weddings, etc. I would like to do that for a living and to pay the bills. But eventually I would LOVE to become a director. Is this a good way?

I want to work as an editor on smaller things and when I have some experience(and money) I could start making my own little short indie movies(and submit thwm to film festivals) and maybe even become a movie editor and then become a director. Is this a good way to do it? is it doable?

Anything is doable, and being an editor first is an excellent way to learn the language and tools of filmmaking before helming an entire production. Walter Murch, notable picture editor and sound designer for many films including some of Francis Ford Coppola's best films (The Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation) eventually directed a film. He recounts his experience in an amazing book called "The Conversations: Walter Murch and The Art of Editing Film" which I just finished and can't shut about to anyone who crosses my path.

A number of great filmmakers (Kubrick and Welles in particular) argue pretty convincingly that editing IS filmmaking...it is the only way to ensure your vision is enacted entirely. If they couldn't physically do the cutting themselves because of contractual or union regulations, they remained next to the actual film editor through the entire process.

Last edited:
The short answer is yes ;)
The longer answer is, and editor and director have very similar minds when it comes to putting a film together, as an editor you will be working with directors already when cutting a film. So again, yes.

Not that I have vast experience in either, but I've been editing for a few years, just recently started into film making. I find it a little easier as a Director being an editor because I know what I can do in Post. So, I know what shots will look good and what I can get away with. I can control the camera work as a director knowing in the back of my head, "ok I know I can change this later on the computer". On the flip side, I probably take a lot of shotrcuts through Post knowing that I can get away with or change the picture in some way later on. I'm heavy into the Post production thing. I also freelance as a wedding editor, the thing with that is though, you're dealing with someone else's videography work. I've done some where I had a lot of video and artists shots to work with, but others, like my most recent shot, I was surprised the company that freelances me sent me the video in the first place. It wasn't very creative shooting and was pretty dull. It took a lot of multi-cam editing and motion graphics from me to make it nice enough to charge what the company charges. So, I'm biased, but I think it's actually beneficial to be an editor first before becoming a Director.

Well according to my teacher A cameramen and video editor technically are the most closest person towards the direction (technically not creatively) so they can more easily become directior in comparison to any other person from the crew.

I'm not an editor yet but I want to be one when I go to university and everything. At first I want to work on stuff like Adverts, Music Videos, Weddings, etc. I would like to do that for a living and to pay the bills. But eventually I would LOVE to become a director. Is this a good way?

I want to work as an editor on smaller things and when I have some experience(and money) I could start making my own little short indie movies(and submit thwm to film festivals) and maybe even become a movie editor and then become a director. Is this a good way to do it? is it doable?

Yes. Some of the best directors started as editors. It's one on one with directors. In my mind, editors have to have a working knowledge of every aspect of making a movie. You have to understand script/story, performance, camera, framing, and perspectives - THEN you have to know your own job of cutting it all together well. It's kind of the eagle's nest of any project.

Robert Wise was the editor on CITIZEN KANE, then became a multi-Oscarâ„¢ Winner for directing after that. Several others have followed this path.

So we got two.

That's it? In the history of cinema we can only come up with two
names?

Maybe it's not a good path to directing....

Andy Ackerman. Went from an editor on WKRP in CINCINNATI to CHEERS, eventually started directing on CHEERS and moved on to WINGS and SEINFELD. He's one of the most in demand sitcom directors in the business now.

As time permits, I can recall more and type them in, but yes, editors can make wonderful directors.

The thing that makes a good editor is the same thing that makes a good director, knowing what a good take is, what's important in the scene and what the audience needs to see.

Anyone can edit and anyone can direct. But, to do it well is the art.

If you're editing with the director in the room. Ask questions about how he got good performances out of his actors (providing they are good), and learn as much as possible. While editors are not usually on set. If you get a job and can be on set, go and learn, learn, learn.

I worked ten years as a Stage Manager at a Repertory Theatre. If I didn't have that experience, I'd have never even considered making a movie. Because it's a hell of a lot harder then it looks.

So we got two.

That's it? In the history of cinema we can only come up with two
names?

Maybe it's not a good path to directing....

I think the point might be, rather than being a path to directing, the editor's chair could be used as a thorough training ground for directing and general filmmaking for one that wants to direct. But in practice, most editors are probably right where they want to be. Murch says in his book that he realized after directing he didn't have the desire to command huge armies of people and was happier participating in the filmmaking process back in the editor's chair. I can't remember where, but Thelma Schoonmaker has also indicated as much...that she has no desire to do what Scorsese does but enjoys an extremely satisfying career as his brilliant cutter.

For a crude analogy, think of politicians...some might use Congressional office as a path to the Presidency, while other Congressmen are more than happy to spend their entire careers in the House and have no desire for higher office.

Doesn't really matter if you can come up with five names or five thousand names. The point is that it's not impossible.

Honestly, I'd want to wet my feet on something like editing before jumping into directing. Editing is one of the aspects of filmmaking that's still quite confusing to me.

I'm not suggesting it's impossible. I just find it interesting that
we cannot come up with even five editors who have made
the transition to directing.

I was exactly the opposite of you, barn. I jumped right into
directing and found my editing kills much later.

Back