Can an Editor become a director?

I'm not an editor yet but I want to be one when I go to university and everything. At first I want to work on stuff like Adverts, Music Videos, Weddings, etc. I would like to do that for a living and to pay the bills. But eventually I would LOVE to become a director. Is this a good way?

I want to work as an editor on smaller things and when I have some experience(and money) I could start making my own little short indie movies(and submit thwm to film festivals) and maybe even become a movie editor and then become a director. Is this a good way to do it? is it doable?

I think David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago) was also an editor before becoming a director. And Joel Cohen was assistant editor on Evil Dead. That's stretching our definitions a bit. But we're getting close to five!

Last edited:
Walter Murch was an editor first, then directed a couple films and he's probably one of the most famous editors of all time. A multi-Oscar winner, the first ever to win for editing on a computer with an Avid (1995 for English Patient) and the first nomination for editing in Final Cut pro (2003 for Cold Mountain). (which someone Murch mentioned already)

I totally forgot about Ethan Coen. He was an editor on Evil Dead before directing/producing, plus the Coen brothers edit all their own movies under the pseudonym Roderick Jaynes.

George Lucas was an editor before being a director. Ben Burtt edited several features before directing a documentary or too.

Is the list solely for FAMOUS or allegedly "successful" editors turned directors, or people who have made the transition and are now directors at all?

Is the list solely for FAMOUS or allegedly "successful" editors turned directors, or people who have made the transition and are now directors at all?

In the end, it's the talent and drive. There's plenty of unknowns who have the talent and not the drive to make the contacts.

Talent is talent. Fame doesn't play a part, except for the paycheck (and sometimes the quality).

John Glen was an editor on several James Bond films before directing more 007 movies than any other director. Unfortunately a lot of the movies he edited were much better than the ones he directed.

Back