BlackMagic announces new camera

I just saw a post on Facebook:

Two new Blackmagic Cinema Cameras at NAB Show

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K - 3.995 $

Super 35 Sensor, Global Shutter, Ultra HD and 4K, Built in SSD, Touch LCD, Metadata Entry, CinemaDNG RAW, ProRes, Thunderbolt, EF Mount, Free DaVinci Resolve & Ultra Scope

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - 995 $

Super 16 Sensor , 13 Stops of Dynamic Range, Recording on SD Card, High Resolution LCD, ProRes, CinemaDNG RAW, Micro Four Thirds Lens mount, HDMI monitoring.

It doesn't feel like that long ago that they started shipping the old/current one

This post appears to be getting a lot of (assumingly outside) attention. So here are links to the new cameras:

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicproductioncamera4k/

Last edited:
I'm curious about lens support for smaller, but still heavy photo lenses. Think a Canon EF 24-70L. Seems like a lot of weight to hang off that little body.

On my GH2, I dont even use the cameras tripod mount. The camera hangs off the back of my lens (my FD lens adapter HAS a tripod mount on it) . So the weight on the mount is never more than the camera.

On my GH2, I dont even use the cameras tripod mount. The camera hangs off the back of my lens (my FD lens adapter HAS a tripod mount on it) . So the weight on the mount is never more than the camera.

I just found that adapter after reading this, that's pretty sweet! Not turning up any EF omes with a tripod mount yet but this get's me thinking haha.

The outdoor stuff looks nice. The indoor stuff looks like it was shot on a DSLR with a tad more DR. I'm not too impressed with the indoor stuff. Certainly with a lit scene it would be much nicer.

I wish he'd shoot Puberty Blues on S16mm! The show's set in the '70s and it just fits that look so well..
I guess if you need to shoot with that many cameras, S16 certainly isn't as economical as Alexa + C300 + BM.

The outdoor stuff looks nice. The indoor stuff looks like it was shot on a DSLR with a tad more DR. I'm not too impressed with the indoor stuff. Certainly with a lit scene it would be much nicer.

I wish he'd shoot Puberty Blues on S16mm! The show's set in the '70s and it just fits that look so well..
I guess if you need to shoot with that many cameras, S16 certainly isn't as economical as Alexa + C300 + BM.

Interesting, jax. I had the opposite reaction. Even though the indoor stuff was shaky, I liked the DR and the low light performance at ISO800. The outdoor stuff seemed really dark and fuzzy to me - but maybe because I'm so prejudiced against the 14-42 kit lens. It should be against the law to put that lens on a camera with 13 stops of DR :)

Cheers,

Bill

I am so lucky! For graduation I was gifted a pre-order of the BMPC. I can't wait for it to get here, but I will say I'm worried about Blackmagic's ability to deliver their products on time.

Very cool picture of Pocket Cinema Camera with Panavision lens, courtesy of Ilya at Hot Rod Cameras :)

268204_654373561243897_1576420199_n.jpg

Anyone here familiar with hotrod camera I preordered the pocket cinema camera from them and I just called to confirm there getting shipments this month and the guy said the 4k and pocket camera are shipping in the 4th quarter which is September or October? Didnt blackmagic just state they are still expecting to ship this month?

Anyone here familiar with hotrod camera I preordered the pocket cinema camera from them and I just called to confirm there getting shipments this month and the guy said the 4k and pocket camera are shipping in the 4th quarter which is September or October? Didnt blackmagic just state they are still expecting to ship this month?

I'm a big fan of Ilya's - he pretty much singlehandedly launched the GH1 as a Hollywood camera with his breakthrough PL to micro 4/3 adapter, but my Pocket Cinema Camera preorder is with Adorama. In my experience, the bigger stores usually ship first.

Good luck,

Bill

I contacted them via email the guy on the phone had no idea what he was talking about. They are receiving the first round of pocket cameras that ship and I am very high up on the pre-order list. Only reason I chose them over BH or Adorama is the fact that they both want the whole 1,000 on hold to preorder as oppose to hotrod which only required a single dollar for a pre-order.

Back