Back in the day...

For all those who complain how expensive things are....

10MB3398.jpg

Haha, that's what I'm talking about!!

10mb. True beast lol

I remember when my father upgraded out home computer in 1993 (I think) to 100mb hard drive. Fully DOS. We were both thinking how huge 100mb is, and we won't ever need anything bigger than that....

Cool promo paper :)

My first computer was an Apple Mac Quadra 605, 40 meg hard drive, 4 megs of RAM. I used a JL Cooper SMPTE generator to sync to a Tascam 8-Track reel-to-reel. I was the freakin' BOMB amongst my local peers.

I used to sync with a Roland MC 500 to Tascam 4 and 8 tracks, both of which were great back in 1986.
The sad part is I was still doing it till just a few years ago. :lol:

-Thanks-

Early this spring, I finally tossed my $15K sparkstation voyager work station that I picked up for $15 at good .... thing STILL worked good.. ran red hat or sun OS, had NO fans, and an 12" COLOR LCD, ran on a battery too...

220px-SPARCstation-voyager.jpg

This must have been mid 1980's?

Minimum wage was $3.35/hr. so it would take 1015 hours
(tax free) to earn enough to buy that. 25 weeks!

Today it takes 17 hours (tax free) to earn enough money to
buy a 300GB drive. Just about one weekend.

I imagine this doesn't mean much to those under 25 but to
those of us who remember drives like that it's really something.
That's why we get to say, "Kids these days!"

Cool find.

I remember saving up $900 for my first dot matrix printer.

Remember the Commador 64 where 64K was considered a lot of memory?

I was working in the computer section of A&S Department store selling them next to Apple IIEs, the first B/w Macintosh, and IBM PC and XT. The XT was IBMs first model with a hard drive.

I imagine this doesn't mean much to those under 25 but to those of us who remember drives like that it's really something. That's why we get to say, "Kids these days!"

Let's see... We did without the internet, cell phones, GPS, CDs, DVDs.

And while I'm feeling nostalgic.

In 1978 (the year I met my wife) I had a one room apartment in Greenwich Village, NYC - $175/month. I got my first car - $300.

In 1978 the federal deficit was 776.6 billion; a first-class stamp - $0.13; a gallon of regular gas - $0.63 (one year later $1.25/gallon); a dozen eggs - $0.82; a gallon of milk - $1.71. Jimmy Carter was president. The movie and the Bee Gees soundtrack for "Saturday Night Fever" top the charts. "Hotel California" wins a Grammy.

Other important albums:

This Year's Model - Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Squeeze - Squeeze
...And Then There Were Three... - Genesis
Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (second album)
The Cars - The Cars
More Songs About Buildings and Food - Talking Heads
Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! - Devo
Parallel Lines - Blondie
52nd Street - Billy Joel
Toto - Toto
Briefcase Full of Blues - The Blues Brothers
Move It On Over - George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Minute by Minute - The Doobie Brothers

And a few movies:

American Hot Wax
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
The Betsy
The Boys from Brazil
The Boys in Company C
Bread and Chocolate
The Buddy Holly Story
La Cage aux Folles
California Suite
Coma
Coming Home
The Deer Hunter
Every Which Way But Loose
Eyes of Laura Mars
Grease
Halloween
International Velvet
The Last Waltz
Midnight Express
National Lampoon's Animal House
Pretty Baby
Same Time Next Year
Superman: The Movie
An Unmarried Woman
Up In Smoke

Last edited:
In my freshman year in college for electrical engineering, we were using OMAR cards and punch cards with IBM mainframes for Fortran Prrogramming because desktop computers from Radio Shack, Apple, and Timex were only in the prototype stage that you could read about in Popular Mechanics and Popular Electronics magazines.

Cool find.

I remember saving up $900 for my first dot matrix printer.

Remember the Commador 64 where 64K was considered a lot of memory?

I was working in the computer section of A&S Department store selling them next to Apple IIEs, the first B/w Macintosh, and IBM PC and XT. The XT was IBMs first model with a hard drive.

My first computer was a c64, then a c128 in high school which I got in trade from someone somehow, can't remember. Even the c64 was a hand-me-down from a friend when he upgraded to a 128.

In 1991, I used my c128, connected to a crappy TV, with a 300 baud modem to connect to the UNIX servers at the school I attended in order to access such antiquities as USENET, MUDs (pick one, I did most of them at the time) and to use mail. Ahh UNIX accounts. For the record, I only went to that college for 1 year and recently discovered that my GPA there was 0.6. :D

Back