Aussie news in the US

Aww, thanks :D

(I actually live in Ipswich, which is a different city, but a lot of the time people and the media refer to it almost like it's a suburb of Brisbane, which irritates me no end, but that's beside the point).

I know if you're travelling you end up out of the loop, so I'm impressed that you've heard about it at all. If I was in Portugal I'd be like "f you world, bring me more umbrella drinks!" (can you tell I know nothing about Portugal?)

Lol, it's cold and slightly raining here right now.

And no thanks necessary, ur location says Brisbane and that little fact on IT is the closest connection i have to it, so my mind immediately sprang to it :)

But now i know what i'll think of if they ever mention Ipswich on th news :lol:

That sounds terrible. I've never been a summer person but after months of rain I just want January to be how it's always been. Hot, humid and sunny with thunderstorms in the afternoons.

Oh yeah, I forgot I have Brisbane as my location. Duh lol. There is a reason for that. The reason being that Ipswich is a hole full of bogans and I'd rather not have any association with the place -_-

I've watched the Aussie floods with horrified fascination. It reminds me a little of Hurricane Katrina and my own experience in '07.

As was mentioned your flooding problems have been overshadowed here in the States by the Arizona shootings (plus the affiliated political garbage being tossed around) and the extreme weather we have been having as well. I shoveled 12 inches of snow off of my driveway today for the second time this year already; and the southern US has had snow and ice storms for the first time in decades. And of course the usual economics and politics has been dominating the news since long before our mid-term elections.

With almost instantaneous worldwide communications we hear about things that, 30 years ago, we would almost never have been aware of.

Have we become jaded or just overloaded?

I've watched the Aussie floods with horrified fascination. It reminds me a little of Hurricane Katrina and my own experience in '07.

As was mentioned your flooding problems have been overshadowed here in the States by the Arizona shootings (plus the affiliated political garbage being tossed around) and the extreme weather we have been having as well. I shoveled 12 inches of snow off of my driveway today for the second time this year already; and the southern US has had snow and ice storms for the first time in decades. And of course the usual economics and politics has been dominating the news since long before our mid-term elections.

With almost instantaneous worldwide communications we hear about things that, 30 years ago, we would almost never have been aware of.

Have we become jaded or just overloaded?

I'd say overloaded. There is just so much horrible stuff happening, and there's only so much one person can do. I'd like to think that people are more sympathetic than we once were, but perhaps more materialistic. I dunno. When I think about all that's happened in my home state over the last few weeks I just feel, overwhelmed and impotent.
I feel the same when I think about animals, that my diet and lifestyle choices just aren't enough. There are billions suffering that needn't be and there's nothing I can do.
When I hear the stories on tv about this flooding it just breaks my heart. But then I think about things that are happening every where and it all just becomes too much.
So if people are stoic or ignorant, I'd like to believe it's because their hearts can only hold so much, and not because they are selfish or self-righteous.

(plus the affiliated political garbage being tossed around)

If you were to judge Americans by our news media, you'd think all we cared about where what Sarah Palin had to say and what <insert pop idol here> is wearing and snorting up their nose.

Pathetic. I'm way past jaded with our "news" media.

Stay dry out there Cliche.

Yeah it had been in the written news at least for quite a bit, but the shooting (and it's disgusting political fallout) is all I've been hearing about since it happened. Even when I was reading news about Australia, it wasn't too detailed.

I've been getting most of my specifics from Aussie friends via facebook (ironically enough two of them are not even living in Australia at the moment). I also tend to hear a lot about your politics, lol. This is the kind of stuff that shows up in my feed all the time :http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/12/23/keanes-year-in-review-how-2010-revealed-labors-hollow-core/

Oh god, don't even get me started on politics. Our Premier Anna Bligh (the person who runs Queensland basically) has been scraping around the bottom of the polls since before she was elected. When all this started people seemed to be saying that she had a lot to answer for. Then she said some 'heartfelt' words at a press conference and had a little teary moment and now the headlines are 'Has Anna Earned A Second Chance?' gkaweu th abtae lbgag ARGH!

Can all the smart people just move to another planet and start our own world?

The Good News: That's a great idea! :idea:

The Bad News: They already did... :mope:

One of my uncles is MIA down there somewhere, right now. He's often vanished for long periods of time, though, doing whatever's holding his interest at the time. He's probably rescuing all the DropBears, or something.

Any relief in sight from the water?

The Good News: That's a great idea! :idea:

The Bad News: They already did... :mope:

One of my uncles is MIA down there somewhere, right now. He's often vanished for long periods of time, though, doing whatever's holding his interest at the time. He's probably rescuing all the DropBears, or something.

Any relief in sight from the water?

Dangit. Drop bears would be okay I imagine, if they could find sturdy enough trees to climb. Kangaroos on the other hand...

Who is John Galt?

I have no idea lol. Why?

Back