Aussie news in the US

Hey everyone, I just have a random question I thought I'd ask.
Here in Queensland there has been extensive flooding over the last few months. In the south east (where I live) we have experienced some of the worst flooding in 37 years. I haven't really watched the news yet today but last night the death toll was 12 with a constantly changing number of people missing (the average is between 55 and 60). A lot of those people will not be found alive and some will never be found at all. The damage will be into the millions.
This is a national disaster. Entire communities are isolated and tens of thousands of people have lost their homes. Many tv stations here have had a rolling coverage of the SE QLD flooding since Monday. Yesterday there was a Australia vs England 20-Twenty cricket game in Melbourne (Victoria). It didn't air here until 11pm because of flood coverage and throughout the game the commentators where mentioning what's happening up here and players were walking around with donation buckets collecting for the flood appeal.
So the entire country is involved in this and I've had two messages from friends in the states asking if I'm okay and if I've been affected where I am and so on (which I do greatly appreciate). So I know it has been covered, but it's made me curious. How much do people overseas know about what's going on here? In a nutshell, I was just wondering what the news coverage of the Queensland and northern New South Wales flooding is like in other countries.

Thanks

Hey there! Glad you haven't been swept away. Yes, we are seeing all sorts of coverage - when not hearing about the Tucson shooting - so we're aware of all the flooding troubles. Wasn't Australia in the middle of the worst drought in years?

Stay safe and dry! :)

It's front page news over here in the UK...

Are you evacuating/evacuated? I thought that the Brisbane floods had just reached their peak... if so, stay safe and out the water!

Tuscon shooting? What happened? The commercial channels have only had rolling flood coverage. For some reason at 6 o'clock or whatever time the news would normally be on, every other state goes to a proper news bulletin, and Queensland just gets more flood coverage. I should probably watch the ABC, it'd have other news on it.
To answer your question, yeah, we kinda were. But the last few months have been record breaking when it comes to rainfall, so most of the dams in south east QLD were the fullest they've been in decades. It has seriously been raining for weeks, then there'd be a day or two of heat and sunshine, then back to rain for the last two or three months. In Toowoomba they were still on tight water restrictions because their dams just kept missing out. Then a torrent (literally) of water rushed through the town and practically destroyed it. That water kept going and flattened the town of Granthom. That's where most of the deaths and missing people are from because they had absolutely no warning. Cars, semi-trailers, shipping containers, water tanks and entire houses were literally washed away.
So while Brisbane, Ipswich and Caboolture where sort of out of the woods as far as drought goes, Toowoomba and several other towns where still in trouble. And they got the most damage. Kind of ironic, huh?
Thanks for the well wishes, I've never been so thankful that my parents bought on top of a hill.

It's front page news over here in the UK...

Are you evacuating/evacuated? I thought that the Brisbane floods had just reached their peak... if so, stay safe and out the water!

I suppose it is a pretty big thing. Thanks for giving me a UK perspective :)

Thankfully no one I know had to evacuate, but every one was ready just in case. Brisbane peaked this morning and will peak again this afternoon because of a king tide coming up the river. I live in Ipswich though, where the water is already very slowly receding.

Thanks <3

p.s. you don't need to worry about me getting swept away, you couldn't pay me enough to go into flood waters lol

Yeah, our news has been rather dominated by the Arizona shootings. Attempted assassination is pretty huge. The coverage of the flooding hasn't been extensive, but it's there. I'm glad you're okay. And I'm glad a particular Adrian Brody look-alike still has internet! ;)

How much do people overseas know about what's going on here?
Here in the States the flooding and the death toll has been on
the news and in newspapers.

However, we have heard NOTHING of the Australia vs England
20-Twenty cricket game in Melbourne (Victoria). Damn you,
bias news media!!!!

bias news media!!!!

I think the cricket's been mentioned on the news over here... once or twice...

I hope you Aussies aren't taking it too badly :lol:

Are you a cricket fan directorik?

Yeah, our news has been rather dominated by the Arizona shootings. Attempted assassination is pretty huge. The coverage of the flooding hasn't been extensive, but it's there. I'm glad you're okay. And I'm glad a particular Adrian Brody look-alike still has internet! ;)

Yes, that was on our news too. I didn't know where that had happened though, so when Flicker mentioned it, it didn't click. That was my bad.
I'm back at my folks now, the power came on a little while ago. On my way home I drove through what was under several metres of water this time yesterday. People have started cleaning up and there's just piles of furniture and carpet and stuff along the roads.

Here in the States the flooding and the death toll has been on
the news and in newspapers.

bias news media!!!!

What?! That is OUTRAGEOUS! Just another example of the US media trying to hide the facts from the public. Disgraceful.

:P

I think the cricket's been mentioned on the news over here... once or twice...

I hope you Aussies aren't taking it too badly :lol:

Are you a cricket fan directorik?

I don't watch cricket, but Scott loves it. He tends to watch it and if Australia start looking like they're going to get flogged he turns it off. Apparently it was a close game though.

Unless you're at the stadium, with friends, and consuming copious amounts of overpriced beer, baseball is about as exciting to watch as paint drying. I can only imagine that the sport it came from is much of the same, but with sillier outfits.

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with that Joseph, but I don't. There's a lot of talking and standing around and rubbing balls. Even that last bit can't make it more exciting for me I'm afraid.

I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with that Joseph, but I don't. There's a lot of talking and standing around and rubbing balls. Even that last bit can't make it more exciting for me I'm afraid.

:lol: So true. We wait and wait and wait, and then something almost happens.

Football is the sport of kings. It's better than diamond rings.

Info for your original question:

I actually just heard about it a few hours ago. I travel a lot and i'm in Portugal at the moment.

They mentioned Brisbane and i actually thought of you bc you're the only person i know from there.

If by football you mean NRL, then yes, football is awesome :P

Well, actually, I was thinking of both types of football. American football came from rugby. Of course Australian football also came from rugby. So, they're extremely similar, and both awesome.

What Europeans call "futball", or what Yanks call "soccer", that's a whole other sport, and super boring, in my opinion.

Info for your original question:

I actually just heard about it a few hours ago. I travel a lot and i'm in Portugal at the moment.

They mentioned Brisbane and i actually thought of you bc you're the only person i know from there.

Aww, thanks :D

(I actually live in Ipswich, which is a different city, but a lot of the time people and the media refer to it almost like it's a suburb of Brisbane, which irritates me no end, but that's beside the point).

I know if you're travelling you end up out of the loop, so I'm impressed that you've heard about it at all. If I was in Portugal I'd be like "f you world, bring me more umbrella drinks!" (can you tell I know nothing about Portugal?)

Well, actually, I was thinking of both types of football. American football came from rugby. Of course Australian football also came from rugby. So, they're extremely similar, and both awesome.

What Europeans call "futball", or what Yanks call "soccer", that's a whole other sport, and super boring, in my opinion.

And this is why we are long distance, cyber, pretend soul mates. <3

Back