• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Anatomy of a Troll

I have been working for 3 years now on a feature length documentary about when an internet troll came to St. Joseph Missouri. My own history with this troll began here on Indietalk.com

The video above is not from the documentary proper but is more of a mini-doc update on some of what has been happening recently with the guy, who I just spent months with in court for a Civil Stalking Protection Order I filed against him. There are currently criminal charges filed against him and warrants for his arrest (misdemeanor, so no extradition).

It is a wild tale that I hope is as compelling for you as it has been for myself and his other victims.

Upvote 4
Does the subject of your documentary need Jail, or pills, or to be under medical supervision 24/7? I think we don't really know yet how the system should work, and everyone is too focused on looking confident in their ideologies to bother figuring it out.

Long story, but since you're somewhat of an investigative journalist, I thought you might find it interesting.

I am not qualified to answer what the guy in my documentary "needs" although jail is looking likely in the next few months for violating my Civil Stalking Protection Order I got against him. That process is working it's way through police, sheriffs, court, etc. The wheels of justice turn very very slowly.

And I did very much find it interesting. You went for a joke, I did find it funny, but it spurred a much deeper thought for me - and apparently you too as those are some fascinating insights you brought to the table here. THANK YOU!

You're welcome, it's nice to know that there are still people up for deeper discussions. I thrive on complexity, but I'm not well liked on modern social media because it's considered uncouth to have thoughts that run more than about 140 characters.

Maybe some day I'll give in and ingratiate myself with the public by toning it down a bit.

Q: Hey Nate, how do you think we should de escalate factional tensions in Palestine driven by centuries of cultural and religious differences?

A: This is a good looking crowd (pause for applause), America is Great! Thank you, and good night!

Q: Hey Nate, how do you think we should de escalate factional tensions in Palestine driven by centuries of cultural and religious differences?

A: This is a good looking crowd (pause for applause), America is Great! Thank you, and good night!
have you seen the south park specials on paramount+ that take place in the future?
some pretty good gags, every one of jimmy's punchlines follows the same exact formula over and over again

like 'whats the difference between a transwoman and a lawyer? nothing they're both people and worth of respect. wow what a great audience"

have you seen the south park specials on paramount+ that take place in the future?
some pretty good gags, every one of jimmy's punchlines follows the same exact formula over and over again

like 'whats the difference between a transwoman and a lawyer? nothing they're both people and worth of respect. wow what a great audience"
Yeah, I saw it, you know how I am with media.

It should be a joke, but if you read transcripts from the real thing, there's not as much difference as you would imagine between a comedy show and real life. Pander, flatter, now dab, jazz hands, step back, tilt hat, spin, smile, agree with everyone, cue music and exit.

Just finished another VLOG on the film festival run and why we changed the name of the film from NOWHERE MAN to SOCIAL MEDIA MONSTER and what my cyberstalker did to the film festivals.

And again, thanks to this thread, I have this handy intro thing that helps acclimate viewers new to the story. THANK YOU INDIETALK! I'm never too old to learn or improve.

Sonnboo, I listened to what this guy had to day, the sound of his voice. The inflections he used. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv but in my opinion, this guy is clearly schizophrenic. He may actually be capable of carrying out his threats, but what is also clear is that he feels empowered by the attention you are giving him. I don't have any advice on a course of action simply because it sounds like it's too late. The wheels are in motion and spinning freely.... Now, just for a second, try to see this thing from the viewpoint of a disturbed individual. You have made a documentary about him, telling the world that he is a monster. Imagine how that might be interpreted by someone who has a clear, yet unfounded hatred for you. He probably does not regard how he has acted toward you, only how you have acted toward him; you are following him around the internet. You are suing him. It's fair to assume that he sees you as the aggressor, someone out to hurt him. If confronted with the facts, he would probably say he threatened you because you want to know where he lives so you can come to his house to kill him.... I don't know... Do you think that's a possibility? Remember, he is clearly sick.

In a way, you are provoking a mentally ill person who, in reality, can not help his condition. Unless he has a support system at home that will help him and make sure he takes his medicine, he will continue to behave as he does until he finally does something that lands him in jail. Maybe at that point you will no longer be bothered and you can then peacefully promote your documentary about him.

this guy is clearly schizophrenic.

I thought that way in 2013, also not remotely close to a mental health professional here, just an armchair diagnosis. At this point after a lot of study and consultation with professionals - he is most definitely not a schizophrenic. The closest diagnosis, again not my professional just my layperson opinion, is MALIGNANT NARCISSIST, which is akin if not the same as a sociopathy or psychopath or in that line. There is no cure, no therapy, and no medication.

I have filed a defamation lawsuit against him. I have been granted a civil stalking protection order against him. He was never going to stop. The documentary and these supplemental things are the singular defense I have against his defamation and attacks publicly.

He has made me the "Joker" to his "Batman" in his mind. Yes, I 100% believe he is capable of violence and the single most likely person that will be aimed at is me at this point. I accept that reality, sad as it is. There is nothing he seems to respect in terms of laws and personal boundaries, and that does not just have to do with me.

Here he is in court last month in another restraining order case filed against him in Reno, NV by an NBC reporter there

What I feel is more important, even than my own life, is that there is a hole in society where people like this are allowed to get away with a lot of heinous shit online and it has to stop. All I can do is document and spread the word. If it pisses this guy off, that's not my intent, nor is it to provoke someone mentally ill. He has no support network and his family clearly cannot help someone who doesn't think he's doing anything wrong.

Sonnboo, I listened to what this guy had to day, the sound of his voice. The inflections he used. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv but in my opinion, this guy is clearly schizophrenic. He may actually be capable of carrying out his threats, but what is also clear is that he feels empowered by the attention you are giving him. I don't have any advice on a course of action simply because it sounds like it's too late. The wheels are in motion and spinning freely.... Now, just for a second, try to see this thing from the viewpoint of a disturbed individual. You have made a documentary about him, telling the world that he is a monster. Imagine how that might be interpreted by someone who has a clear, yet unfounded hatred for you. He probably does not regard how he has acted toward you, only how you have acted toward him; you are following him around the internet. You are suing him. It's fair to assume that he sees you as the aggressor, someone out to hurt him. If confronted with the facts, he would probably say he threatened you because you want to know where he lives so you can come to his house to kill him.... I don't know... Do you think that's a possibility? Remember, he is clearly sick.

In a way, you are provoking a mentally ill person who, in reality, can not help his condition. Unless he has a support system at home that will help him and make sure he takes his medicine, he will continue to behave as he does until he finally does something that lands him in jail. Maybe at that point you will no longer be bothered and you can then peacefully promote your documentary about him.

James, I also wanted to thank you for your thoughtful comment overall. I do appreciate honest feedback and wanted to say thanks for looking at this.

It feels like a misstep that Reagan decided nobody was mentally ill any more and shut down the asylums.
Reagan didn't decide and shut down anything... California's 1967 Lanterman-Petris-Short Act was responsible for the release of (non-dangerous) mental patients held against their will, which led to the defunding of institutions, and THAT led to their closure.

Great update. Regarding the question from the audience about is he a real threat, and you not knowing for certain. You answered based on physical violence only. But you in fact know that he IS a threat, mentally. Your mental health is just as important as your physical. And he is a threat to either both, or just the mental. Your well being.

I actually think this whole ordeal/doc sheds light on a mental threat that may or may not be physical. AND THAT'S the point. So much attention is on the physical when the word "threat" is used, but you have endured hell for many years over this. Maybe you can focus on that for the next update.

I actually think this whole ordeal/doc sheds light on a mental threat that may or may not be physical. AND THAT'S the point. So much attention is on the physical when the word "threat" is used, but you have endured hell for many years over this. Maybe you can focus on that for the next update.

This is recognized in the Civil Stalking Protection Order that was granted against him. There has to be a physical threat mentioned, but also if he intended to cause "emotional distress" which is clearly what he wants.

Doing these updates, making the documentary, et al has become my therapy, my way to turning the negativity into something positive, a creative outlet to express myself and keep the mental distress from eating away at me inside.

Back