• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Anatomy of a Troll

I have been working for 3 years now on a feature length documentary about when an internet troll came to St. Joseph Missouri. My own history with this troll began here on Indietalk.com

The video above is not from the documentary proper but is more of a mini-doc update on some of what has been happening recently with the guy, who I just spent months with in court for a Civil Stalking Protection Order I filed against him. There are currently criminal charges filed against him and warrants for his arrest (misdemeanor, so no extradition).

It is a wild tale that I hope is as compelling for you as it has been for myself and his other victims.

Upvote 3

sfoster

Staff Member
IDK if this really works as a stand alone story. I think it needs more context.
I'm going to play devils advocate here and post an angry internet response, for demonstration purposes.

--
Multiple people putting in tons of effort, and all this hard work to snoop into this guys life and then post his identity online and his business?
No wonder he feels threatened! You are basically stalking and doxxing him, and what did he even do to you? I'd be threatened too!

As far as i can tell YOU'RE the one who joined HIS CHAT, not the other way around!
how did you even know he was hosting anything unless you are just stalking this guy and up his ass 24/7

get a life
---

lol this is not how i really feel - but my point is more context is helpfup about why this guy is a troll.
I know you said the video is an update, but we need that little recap like the beginning of a new season

IDK if this really works as a stand alone story. I think it needs more context.
I'm going to play devils advocate here and post an angry internet response, for demonstration purposes.

--
Multiple people putting in tons of effort, and all this hard work to snoop into this guys life and then post his identity online and his business?
No wonder he feels threatened! You are basically stalking and doxxing him, and what did he even do to you? I'd be threatened too!

As far as i can tell YOU'RE the one who joined HIS CHAT, not the other way around!
how did you even know he was hosting anything unless you are just stalking this guy and up his ass 24/7

get a life
---

lol this is not how i really feel - but my point is more context is helpfup about why this guy is a troll.
I know you said the video is an update, but we need that little recap like the beginning of a new season

Totally valid criticism and it is NOT a stand alone piece, not at all. It's supplemental to the documentary..... that is not public yet.

At best, I can show the trailer

and this other supplemental piece

sfoster

Staff Member
Totally valid criticism and it is NOT a stand alone piece, not at all. It's supplemental to the documentary..... that is not public yet.

At best, I can show the trailer

and this other supplemental piece

Yeah i get that, i just mean to say a little 10-20 second recap like we are watching a new season of television, let us know what happened real fast last season.

lol, ok, I watched the trailer.

I always find it puzzling when I see guys like this Burdick character out there, going crazy, posting 3000 times a day, and it's all over some trivial amount of money that you could have gotten from an accounting job, or some other ludicrously simple solution.

I particularly enjoyed the moment where he says "I'm the first person to come up with the idea of shooting in first person"

to this Burdick guy -

A - no you are not

B - First person is not a very good way to shoot, more of an ENG thing mostly

C - you are describing your own cinematography genius, and it's accompanied by a handheld shot of your feet.

Why? Why any of this? Is there some sort of cash payout for annoying people online that I'm not aware of? Have people bypassed the film festivals entirely and started just giving themselves accolades for taking pictures of their feet? It's 2022, so I'd believe you if you said yes. Are criminal threats that are broadcast and documented really a good idea? What's the endgame here. Why is a person who says they are wealthy and famous trying to draw a lot of local attention in a small town?

This guy you are profiling is a tire fire, lol

Last edited:
This guy you are profiling is a tire fire, lol

What makes it interesting, at least to me, is the lack of accountability no matter how much damage he does, no matter how severe the threats of violence, and how much he terrifies people.

The documentary Social Media Monster as it is represents just a single city, a single story out of what is reaching upwards of two dozen similar stories in other cities. No one will do anything about him. They all just want to pass the buck and hope someone else deals with him.

Now that might be changing right now, but I cannot speak too much on that for the moment.