• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A visual I did for money!

WoHo.. guess that makes me a pro.. well, on second thought I dont have the check yet.. so..

anyway..

This is one of 4 visuals Im doing for another filmmaker. Id be curious to your impression of how this "reads" with your first view..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_V9nF9r2zw

Thanks

Very Bunuel/Daliesque. If that's the effect the filmmaker's going for then you've definitely conveyed it.

Edit: didn't want to spoil 1st impression for others

Pretty sweet. I was expecting cute little animated animals, though. Where's that one?

P.S. I hate to rain on the parade, but I think you gotta be able to pay rent with what you make, to be able to call yourself pro. I had this conversation a while back, when I was getting paid to write movie reviews, and we decided that $300/month does not a "pro" make. That being said, I've got $100 -- PM me with your idea, if you really meant that.

oh yeah, thanks for the prod Ernest..

Here is what the director wanted.. "I need the soldier to explode into a thousand razor shadows. "

and here is her response to the previous revision..
"God that's so spooky to see. You're getting very close to what I had in my head. "

Ill take that as a win! I love this video game called After Effects.. its hard to beat and has TONS or re-playability..

here is the next shot I'm working on for that film..

this is NOT right for the film, the requirements were not well communicated. Im not bothered though, this was mostly adhoc and I got most the ground work done, getting solid tracking etc.. so changes though visually very different will be technically simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-QKo4KAa8

there was no plate or shots with the boy with a clean face.. so I had to hand paint OUT the bloody smears you see on the other revisions.. which meant I had to add the shadow from the hand back into the comp.. etc... Luckily the kid was pretty still so I only painted one FRAME (near the end) his freckles were very helpful in aligning the two still overlay with the live action shot.

Thanks, Im posting an orginal BEFORE for context.

Paint was a mix of techniques.. first pass was a clone stamp with which got me started.. then some fast blur.. then just used the built in airbrush. This was a bit awkward but eventualy I worked out a work flow that helped.

Tips:
One you have your FREEZE frame, render that as a photo shop layer. Then import the still image back in and use it in place of the freeze frame footage. This made a huge difference speed of previews etc..

Precompse the still footage. Now you can paint on the precomp directly so adjustments you make to the underlying still footage can still be preserved...

Dont forget that painting strokes START where ever you are in the timeline.. this seem odd when working with still images, and can be at first quite vexing.. but once you realize it, its easy to go and extend the paint strokes back into the "past" as needed..

Back