2014 Oscars

Don Jon
Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus
Killer Joe
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Dead Man Down
The Lifeguard
Magic Mike
Killing Them Softly - I actually liked enough to hunt down the director's other film The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Gorgeous film.
Meek's Cutoff - If feel like a Michelle Williams mini-fest!
The Last Waltz
Jeff Who Lives At Home
Flight
Killer Joe
The Dilemma
Beautiful Boy
Like Crazy
The Art of Getting By
The Ledge
Son of No One

Didn't care for these.

Our Idiot Brother
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Rampart

Liked these, especially Rampart. Here's a few:

Magnolia
There Will Be Blood
Requiem for a Dream
The Squid and the Whale
Carnage
The Graduate
American Beauty
The Royal Tenenbaums
Thumbsucker
Happy Endings
City Island
Ghost World
Margot at the Wedding
Shame

Does anyone else feel the Oscars is terribly overrated?

The Academy Awards were created to keep Hollywood filmmakers under control and it's products on the minds of consumers throughout the long cold winters.

It's now become a spectacle of self commercialization.

Does anyone else feel the Oscars is terribly overrated?

Yes, the fact that they almost never nominate foreign films and animated films (until recently) in general categories makes them not have any credibility at all to me. Not to mention, that they do an awful job at nominating great films. This isn't a recent thing though, look at the first few Oscars for Best Picture and you'll see they don't match the great films made in Europe, Japan, China, or even other Hollywood productions at the time.

Directors who never won "Best Director" Award:
Ingmar Bergman (though he won best "Foreign Language Film" before, which I think is a useless category)
Akira Kurosawa (same as Bergman)
Yasujiro Ozu
Andrei Tarkovsky
Charlie Chaplin
Buster Keaton
Alfred Hitchcock
Orson Welles
Howard Hawks
Robert Altman
Sam Peckinpah
John Cassavetes
Stanley Kubrick
Sidney Lumet
David Lynch
Spike Lee
James Whale

There are countless more both in Hollywood and around the world who are missing from the list of "Best Directors." Even guys like Martin Scorsese are chosen for their more mediocre work rather than their best work. The Oscars are pretty much a joke serving to satisfy pretentious middlebrow moviegoers who like to dismiss Hollywood "trash" (genre pictures) yet don't want to step up enough to watch an art film, instead they choose to watch pretentious dramas which have the worst of both of these kinds of films. Okay, that's a bit harsh and a generalization, but I was that kind of moviegoer when I used to follow the Oscars.

Last edited:
Too Bad

Too bad for ¨Blue is the warmest Color¨did not comply with Oscar rules. I saw Christian Bale last night in Ämerican Hustle¨. I mean excellent acting and his NYC accent was just great. I also think Cate in Blue Jasmin will get he award for best actress but it will be close with Jennifer Lawerence.

I saw the documentry ¨Dirty War¨¨ why should anyone be surprised that the USA has a secret hit team. It surely does remind me of the famous Phoenix Program of the Viet Nam war:excepy Vietnam was a real war. ¨12 Years a Slave¨is in the same catagory as ¨Gone With the Wind¨and ¨From Here to Eternity¨ they have very little in common with the book.

Last edited:
Jennifer Lawrence is the most beautiful thing on earth and if she doesn't win an oscar i'll be happy to buy her a coffee to calm her down.

So Jennifer if you're reading this . You know what to do :cool:

From Alcove Audio:

Yes! Giamatti was wonderful in Saving Mr. Banks

I concur with this, his character was wonderfully played. It's a bit of a shame he wasn't nominated for supporting actor. The subplot with his handicap daughter was the most touching part of the film for me, and I thought that his character exemplified the father/daughter loving relationship that fueled the creativity behind early Disney films.

All the 2013 films I've seen so far have sucked pretty bad.
Those oscar nominees aren't really out on DVD yet though.

Not interested. Still waiting on some of the 2013 films to be available for my viewing. such as gravity and 12 years

And as usual in these Oscar threads I need to show off a bit...

Just finished a 14 hour rehearsal day for the show. A few hours of
sleep and then back for a final tech run tomorrow. I am once again
running follow spot on the show.

Lucky weasel :)

Trying to make it down to the local Regency, which is showing all the Oscar shorts as a block.

Last edited:
Still bummed that Prisoners hasn't been nominated

Same. I thought it was one of... if not the best of 2013.

As always, I'll be watching.

Me too!

And as usual in these Oscar threads I need to show off a bit...

Just finished a 14 hour rehearsal day for the show. A few hours of
sleep and then back for a final tech run tomorrow. I am once again
running follow spot on the show.

Very cool :yes:

Ok, I made my ballot. This was a really tough year. There were a few categories where I genuinely could not make up my mind (supporting actress, for one. adapted screenplay and production design, also).

But I went for it and made the hard choices, here it is:
QxexbXD.png

Back