• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

1 Man, 1 Camera, Ideas?

Hi, I'm not much of a writer, and I thought I would put the line out to anyone who could help me with an idea or concept to build on. I'll be starting study again soon, but in the mean time, I'll be on the lonesome with a camera, and I'm keen to do a one man show.

Do any ideas come to mind? I have access to a car, a house, a shed, a forrest, a highway and a lake off the top of my head- you'd think inspiration would flow.

Thanks for reading. Hope to see more of you around the boards soon. Cheers.

Lots of ideas come to my head my man. Well they are a bit harder to do with only one guy, but you could create 2 characters or even 3 all of them being you, and you could have dialog and such and just have multiple cuts of the camera around a table or something. Just because you only have one person doesn't mean you only have 1 character.

That's a good idea Josh, it makes me think of something really cool, where like the character suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder or something similar and he's really starting to lose it....

Liam (I'm assuming that's your name lol) I live in Brisbane. Have you tried finding people in your area interested in making films to try some things out with?

Yeah I have thought about that. I have some mates near by that I might convert, but finding people already into film might be a good idea, cheers.

Thanks for the idea Josh, I'll keep thinking it through. It's been so long since I've tried to come up with an idea from nothing it's a frustrating process.

I recently did this one it took about 20 minutes to make. Me and a buddy of mine made it up on the spot because we saw my old BB gun and used my house. Maybe it will give you some ideas or inspiration.

Its a mix of a bunch of things we had around my house...with a little flavor from a video game we had both been playing recently (red dead redemption.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX36LOzHRN0

I know you want to do it with one person, what I'm saying is I could have done this with one person. just would have taken a bit longer.

The lone man could treasure a photograph of a woman.
It'll get the audience thinking 'where has this woman gone?'
And then towards the end you could have some unexpected turn like revealling that he killed her in the forest or drowned her in the lake?

Just an idea.

I know this is screen writing, but what about the practicle aspects of filming your self?

Anybody got any cool tricks to easily get camera movement... say setting up a dolly on a incline and letting it coast to get a tracking shot..

Check out the following Twilight Zone episodes for inspiration:

The Invaders
Nervous Man In A Four Dollar Room
Time Enough At Last
The Jockey
Where Is Everybody?

A concept along the lines of "The Invaders" would be just perfect given what you described as the things you have at your disposal. Hell if you just wanted to kill some time, work at your craft a little and have some fun you could just do your own version of that story. Obviously you couldn't market it later on, but I could see that still being a good bit of fun and a good means to figuring out what you can do, what you need to work on and so forth.

Just a thought.

Perhaps you should do an interview, or a mock interview. The first time i picked up a camera i interviewed a busker, turned out he'd been through the mills, he looked way older than he was, homeless, family he didn't see.

The reason primarily, that i did that, was to get used to the camera, i come out of it with a sunken gut, and a whole lot of ambition.

Back