• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Your Screenwriting Experience

Hi

I'm 15 and for all of my films so far I haven't written a script. This is mostly because I've been doing 3-7 minute videos for youtube, which, typically, don't require scripts.

Now, however, I'm planning on creating a Left 4 Dead short film, which will consist of 4-6 10 minute episodes. I really want to write a script for this because I believe it will make things smoother during production and it will generally enhance my video.

My questions are:

1. What software do you recommend? Is adobe story any good because I'm considering it. (Yes, I did google search this, but I'd rather get experienced filmmaker's opinions than random people on wikianswers :P)

2. What are some tips for sticking with it? (I've tried writing a script in the past but got tired and annoyed with it so I trashed it and just did improv during production)

Thanks in advance for any replies

1) If you can afford it, get Final Draft. It's worth the money if you plan to be writing screenplays for a long time. Otherwise, any word processor will do. There are templates for Microsoft Word that will show you the right format. Google.

2) Make small and daily goals. Writing a 120 page screenplay seems overwhelming. Writing 5 pages a day is do-able. Or "a scene a day," or even a page a day. Small, daily goals. It will help chip away the mountain a rock at a time. Plus, once you get in a routine it will be harder to stop. Don't let yourself miss a day.

Also, you can try making friends hold you to a deadline. For example, create a Facebook event and tell all your friends that on XXX Day at XXX Time you are all meeting at your house to read the screenplay aloud. That way you are really under the gun - make your friends hold you to it and that will also give you incentive to finish.

1) If you can afford it, get Final Draft. It's worth the money if you plan to be writing screenplays for a long time. Otherwise, any word processor will do. There are templates for Microsoft Word that will show you the right format. Google.

2) Make small and daily goals. Writing a 120 page screenplay seems overwhelming. Writing 5 pages a day is do-able. Or "a scene a day," or even a page a day. Small, daily goals. It will help chip away the mountain a rock at a time. Plus, once you get in a routine it will be harder to stop. Don't let yourself miss a day.

Also, you can try making friends hold you to a deadline. For example, create a Facebook event and tell all your friends that on XXX Day at XXX Time you are all meeting at your house to read the screenplay aloud. That way you are really under the gun - make your friends hold you to it and that will also give you incentive to finish.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into final draft and the templates for word, and good idea for the daily goals, I like it :yes:

1.) Simple answer: CeltX.

2.) My advice is to get it all out as soon and as quickly as possible. If it takes you two months to write a 120 page screenplay, it's taking you too long. This is how I write:

a.) Have an idea.
b.) Finesse that idea in my head.
c.) Make a thorough plan including timeline of whole film and character breakdowns.
d.) Write a first draft as quickly as possible.
e.) Get advice/criticism on that first draft.
f.) Make alterations to that draft based on criticisms.
g.) Air the 2nd draft with people who didn't read the first.
h.) Iron out any problems that recur and neuter any new ones.

What happens after that is up to you!

1.) Simple answer: CeltX.

2.) My advice is to get it all out as soon and as quickly as possible. If it takes you two months to write a 120 page screenplay, it's taking you too long. This is how I write:

a.) Have an idea.
b.) Finesse that idea in my head.
c.) Make a thorough plan including timeline of whole film and character breakdowns.
d.) Write a first draft as quickly as possible.
e.) Get advice/criticism on that first draft.
f.) Make alterations to that draft based on criticisms.
g.) Air the 2nd draft with people who didn't read the first.
h.) Iron out any problems that recur and neuter any new ones.

What happens after that is up to you!

Thanks man, thats a good layout, and i'll be sure to check out celtx, because I dont have much $$

BTW, checked out your blog and you have some good reviews, I take it you are a good writer so I value your advice

As a young filmmaker/screenwriter myself I find that writing can't be forced. I can't just sit down and write, it must be inspired.
1st: Since you're writing a short(or a series of shorts) you can completely develop a story in your head. When I think of a story I don't write it down for weeks, even months. You'll be surprised how much your story will change and evolve, in your head.
2nd: Write realistically. Since you're a kid, and on a budget, you're pretty limited on what you can do. But with a little creativity you can make something amazing. Just make sure to set your stories in realistic locations and a realistic amount of actors. Zombie movies are really hard to do with a small amount of actors, but a good example of that is "28 Days later"
3rd: Have fun with it. Writing is one of the best tools for self expression. A script is more personal than a Diary.

Here's a little poem about screenwriting( just for kicks)

Nowhere Fast, Plight of the Screenwriter

Become a writer,
Keep your hopes up,
Keep your day job,
Assure your own creativity,
Degrade everyone else's

Spend 95% of our conscious day observing an uninspiring world,
Translate that into idea,
Fill that empty shell of an idea with plots and characters,
Mentally develop a story till it consumes 100% of your conscious day

Put mind to paper.
Paper to script,
Rewrite,
Rewrite,
Print,
Have Paul read it,
"It sucks"
Who cares?
What does Paul know?
Doubt your script,
Doubt your creativity,
Doubt yourself...

Rewrite,
Let a stupid producer tell you its rubbish.

And you've gone nowhere, fast.

As a young filmmaker/screenwriter myself I find that writing can't be forced. I can't just sit down and write, it must be inspired.
1st: Since you're writing a short(or a series of shorts) you can completely develop a story in your head. When I think of a story I don't write it down for weeks, even months. You'll be surprised how much your story will change and evolve, in your head.
2nd: Write realistically. Since you're a kid, and on a budget, you're pretty limited on what you can do. But with a little creativity you can make something amazing. Just make sure to set your stories in realistic locations and a realistic amount of actors. Zombie movies are really hard to do with a small amount of actors, but a good example of that is "28 Days later"
3rd: Have fun with it. Writing is one of the best tools for self expression. A script is more personal than a Diary.

Here's a little poem about screenwriting( just for kicks)

Nowhere Fast, Plight of the Screenwriter

Become a writer,
Keep your hopes up,
Keep your day job,
Assure your own creativity,
Degrade everyone else's

Spend 95% of our conscious day observing an uninspiring world,
Translate that into idea,
Fill that empty shell of an idea with plots and characters,
Mentally develop a story till it consumes 100% of your conscious day

Put mind to paper.
Paper to script,
Rewrite,
Rewrite,
Print,
Have Paul read it,
"It sucks"
Who cares?
What does Paul know?
Doubt your script,
Doubt your creativity,
Doubt yourself...

Rewrite,
Let a stupid producer tell you its rubbish.

And you've gone nowhere, fast.

Yeah you are right. I've been thinking about this zombie series since december, and from what I can recall, I've definetly changed the whole story almost 100%, I plan on starting this film the first day of summer so I'm going to keep thinking and once I have a solid idea that I think it's great I'm going to share it, adjust, and then start writing

Yeah you are right. I've been thinking about this zombie series since december, and from what I can recall, I've definetly changed the whole story almost 100%, I plan on starting this film the first day of summer so I'm going to keep thinking and once I have a solid idea that I think it's great I'm going to share it, adjust, and then start writing

Good, it sounds like you have the "writer's bug" in you. Good luck on your film.

I've been doing 3-7 minute videos for youtube, which, typically, don't require scripts.

AHEM! Yes, they do. Very much so. A solid screenplay is SO essential; I cannot overstate this. A 30-second commercial has a screenplay that's been revised a thousand times, and that's why people make hundreds of thousands, millions of dollars, to make 30-second movies -- because they put a whole lot of effort into making it a REALLY effective 30-second story. Screenplay is step #1, and it shouldn't EVER be skipped.

Which is why it's good that you now want to start writing. It takes patience, and hard work. Many others have answered your first question, regarding software. The answer to your second question can only be answered by you. Just do whatever you gotta do to get it done! :)

Hi I'm 15 and for all of my films so far I haven't written a script. This is mostly because I've been doing 3-7 minute videos for youtube, which, typically, don't require scripts.

Now, however, I'm planning on creating a Left 4 Dead short film, which will consist of 4-6 10 minute episodes. I really want to write a script for this because I believe it will make things smoother during production and it will generally enhance my video.

Cool! Everyone else has gone into the software. On a practical note, when you use a formatting software like CeltX, the format helps to translate your script into a standard format. In that format, one page is roughly one minute of screen time. So for each 10 minute episode, you are writing roughly 8-12 pages of script to get your ten minutes. And you're right, having a script does make shooting and production easier because you can make notes of camera angles and shots in your margins. The production becomes more planned and looks more professional.

My questions are:
1. What software do you recommend? Is adobe story any good because I'm considering it. (Yes, I did google search this, but I'd rather get experienced filmmaker's opinions than random people on wikianswers :P)
You should have good formatting, I've found few "story aids" worth the price. As mentioned, CeltX is a free software for formating. What ever software you select should output a PDF.

2. What are some tips for sticking with it? (I've tried writing a script in the past but got tired and annoyed with it so I trashed it and just did improv during production)
Have the story worked out. I like to use the "Six Act Model". I've posted a technique I often use here before for developing the story before writing the actual script.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=167461
The first 2-4 pages of a short screenplay are important, so be sure to introduce the key characters and the conflict to be resolved. This is not the only way but it helps focus your story development. If the 4-6 stories are going to be connected, you will want to think that out also.

As I pointed out 8-12 pages is not a lot of script to write for one 10 minute segment, so you can probably whip it out in a few days once you have the story outlined. When you are writing a longer continuous piece (90-120 pages), it can require more discipline.

Have fun!

Thanks fantasy for your awesome response, and yes, I figured its a good idea to at least have the other parts planned before filming the first part, because the first part plays an important roll in determining what happens during the second parts.

AHEM! Yes, they do. Very much so. A solid screenplay is SO essential; I cannot overstate this. A 30-second commercial has a screenplay that's been revised a thousand times, and that's why people make hundreds of thousands, millions of dollars, to make 30-second movies -- because they put a whole lot of effort into making it a REALLY effective 30-second story. Screenplay is step #1, and it shouldn't EVER be skipped.

Which is why it's good that you now want to start writing. It takes patience, and hard work. Many others have answered your first question, regarding software. The answer to your second question can only be answered by you. Just do whatever you gotta do to get it done! :)

How do you know exactly what kind of videos the OP is making? What if they are just simple vlogs or home videos?
Commercial ads aren't all the same. It depends on the service. Many are cheap and ineffective. I doubt they all follow one strict format.

How long should it take?

To write a first draft? I would imagine it can vary wildly depending on how fast you work, but not more than a couple of weeks.

But that's because I'm a firm believe in planning the story from start to finish thoroughly before you write a single word of the screenplay so that writing it up is simply a case of recreating an existing story and existing characters in a screenplay format.

That makes sense; you have the entire story down, every character,
every plot point, every twist and the ending before you put it into the
screenplay format. So when you say two months is to long you mean
two months is too long to write an existing story into the proper format.

I tend to write about 5 pages a day. That means it takes me 24 days
to write the first draft - longer than the couple of weeks you feel it
should take. It's impressive that you can stick to 10 pages per day for
two weeks straight. Unless I'm getting paid I don't have that discipline.

How long should it take from the idea to the point where you write the
first word of the screenplay?

That makes sense; you have the entire story down, every character,
every plot point, every twist and the ending before you put it into the
screenplay format. So when you say two months is to long you mean
two months is too long to write an existing story into the proper format.

I tend to write about 5 pages a day. That means it takes me 24 days
to write the first draft - longer than the couple of weeks you feel it
should take. It's impressive that you can stick to 10 pages per day for
two weeks straight. Unless I'm getting paid I don't have that discipline.

How long should it take from the idea to the point where you write the
first word of the screenplay?

I would qualify this by saying that the OP was asking how he could 'stick with it' and asking for other people's experiences in screenwriting.

Obviously there are a lot of people who like to write quite slowly and there are others who don't plan the whole thing out first (I think their excuse is something like 'spontaneity') but for me I like to plan the story as soon as I have the idea. I almost always have a notepad near (or my iPad in the 21st century) so I can jot down what I need to asap.

Personally I don't find 10 pages a day terribly difficult to adhere to- maybe because I'm a fast (but not necessarily good) writer and, as I say, I prefer to get it out of my system as quickly as possible.

To write a first draft? I would imagine it can vary wildly depending on how fast you work, but not more than a couple of weeks.

But that's because I'm a firm believe in planning the story from start to finish thoroughly before you write a single word of the screenplay so that writing it up is simply a case of recreating an existing story and existing characters in a screenplay format.

Do you find that the pre-determined plan you had evolves at all while you're writing?

I'm not as strict as that with my writing. I'll let an idea sit for a while before I begin to work, I'll go over, and over it in my mind, but not the full story. I'll have a skeleton, but no flesh. Then I start. Sometimes it's fifteen pages a day, some days it's two, the others it's a paragraph.

If the characters are alive to the point that I think I'm able to elaborate, then I'll begin my character bios. But my scripts are a constant work in progress, I'll read through with fresh eyes every day, trimming and polishing were necessary. My characters grow, and in turn, I learn with them, and more importantly, I learn of them, and the world they're apart of.

The very same for the settings and surroundings, constant research beside thorough read-throughs to ensure I'm being faithful to the era/surroundings/style. The entire process is pending on the solidity and potency of the idea. But what I do know is, is that it will intertwine. I know the material, word for word, beat to beat. The constant read throughs, side by side research and writing of character bios, allow for a natural progression. Everything is fresh. Constantly going through it allows to me sift out the flaws, and if the rest stands (to use a cliche) "The test of time", then it's a constant reassurance.

I'll have many people read through my work. This is a must. Fresh, and unbias eyes are always needed (I believe I've ran some of my work past you before, Charles, Ernest, I know of, but memory escapes me for any more IT folk) both for the screenplay, and the finished edit of the film. Alot of people dimiss the latter, but I think it's massively beneficial.

Honour the material, that's what I always say.

That's generally how I work. Both end with a finished product. But it's always intriguing to discover anothers routine.

Back