Would you recommend the new Star Trek movie?

For the past year or so I've been debating with myself over whether I wanna watch Star Trek (2009)

I always end up deciding against it, however, my friend brought it up in conversation and now I'm debating again.

So, would anyone recommend it?

Particularly interested in the opinions of people like me: Star Trek: Next Gen fans that aren't SUPER nerdy about it. lol

You should watch it & make up your own mind.

I only made it part-way through. Didn't like it.

But I also think Krull was an awesome flick, so whadda I know, eh? :abduct:

If you're an fanatic absolute Star Trek purist, don't bother.

However, it's sort of like Shakespeare as far as I'm concerned, or better yet, the most recent Sherlock Holmes films with Robert Downey, Jr, and Jude Law - it's just another interpretation. They've most definitely turned the whole thing on its ear, however.

If you want me to rate it? It was fun, but nothing special. As a sound designer they did a nice job of reinterpreting the familiar cliché Star Trek sound effects.

I loved it. But I never liked Star Trek much. After seeing it, I watched DS9 and loved it. Tried TOS and TNG, but still don't like them much.

I didn't like it that much, but that's just me. I normally enjoy sci-fi but it didn't sit well with me for some reason. I think it was the camerawork and JJ's story telling style that threw me off. It depends on what you like really.

A little background on my startrek taste. I remember as a kid growing up with Star Wars, Star Trek was that boring other show on TV. I didn't get it, didn't want to waste my time. Then Star Trek Next Gen came out, was hooked on that for years... Watched it to completion. Then came all of the subsequent series, couldn't stand any of them, I'll avoid getting into that.

Flashforward maybe 10 years after STNG went off the air, I got into the original series... grew to love it, to the point where STNG is sort of difficult to watch - it didn't age well.

The original series is truly classic - the relationship between bones, spoke and kirk deepen as the episodes progress. Kirk's over the top delivery, philosophizing man's desire for individualism and freedom, Spock's eternal conflict between his feelings and his heritage of logical reasoning. Bone's always there to show a little humanity when Spock or Kirk lose perspective. I enjoy the little classic film techniques. Sort of film noir at times - flagging off some lights to pop out the actors eyes - crazy camera work from time to time.

So - needless to say I was eager to see the new Startrek movie. Without going into detail, I'll just make a couple points. Overall I really enjoyed it. Kirk, bones - excellent. Spock, passable but sort of missed the mark for me. I'll give him a chance for the sequel though.

Would have liked a more thought provoking story rather than the solid action movie we got, but still... they did quite amazing as a 'relaunch' and am eagerly looking forward to see where they go with it with all of the introductions out of the way. Oh, and I could have done without the beer factory - I knew what it was immediately and it totally blew the illusion for me.

If you're an fanatic absolute Star Trek purist, don't bother.

However, it's sort of like Shakespeare as far as I'm concerned, or better yet, the most recent Sherlock Holmes films with Robert Downey, Jr, and Jude Law - it's just another interpretation. They've most definitely turned the whole thing on its ear, however.

I strongly disagree with this comparison. The new Sherlock films are completely contradictory to the spirit of everything that has come before it. Whereas I can see how an ultra-Trekkie could think the new movie might go against the original TV series, I think it definitely holds true to the spirit of the movie series. It's a little (okay, a lot) more action-y, but I think everything there is to love about the movies (all of the even-numbered ones) are there in spades.

mussoman -- you MUST watch it! It's a crowd-pleaser, no question about it. For whatever it's worth, the only people I've heard from who didn't like it are members of this forum. I've not spoken to one single damn person, in my regular real-life who didn't have an F-ing blast watching the new Trek. I consider myself a Trekkie (mostly TNG). I've got friends who would identify themselves the same. Maybe we're not hard-core, I've never been to a convention or anything. But I'm definitely a fan, and I think the new Trek F-ing ROCKED, and so did all of my Trekkie fans.

On the internet, you can always find at least a few people who didn't or did like something. But what are your real-life experiences telling you? Your close friend is practically forcing you to watch this movie. Perhaps you should trust your real-life friend.

96afed9e_spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-large.gif

Perhaps you should trust your real-life friend.

96afed9e_spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-large.gif

Yeah, he's recommended stuff that I ended up loving... V for Vendetta for example or Mr. Brooks.

I'll be buying it when I head to Wal-Mart tomorrow if I remember.

I've only seen three of the movies altogether, two being Next Gen movies, and one of the originals where they search for God. Those were all awesome!

And who couldn't be psyched for the new one with THIS incredible sneak peek?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3F48jXIr3k

I've only seen three of the movies altogether, two being Next Gen movies, and one of the originals where they search for God. Those were all awesome!

OMG, you liked #5?! :eek:

Dude, that's the worst one! Of the originals, these are the only ones you need to watch:

Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Nemesis

OMG, you liked #5?! :eek:

Dude, that's the worst one! Of the originals, these are the only ones you need to watch:

Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Nemesis

Does it help to say I liked it enough, but it persuaded me to believe the others of that series weren't worth watching?

Back