Would you recommend the new Star Trek movie?

Does it help to say I liked it enough, but it persuaded me to believe the others of that series weren't worth watching?

You at least need to watch "Wrath of Khan." There's a whole littany of cultural references you're missing out on by not having seen it.

And it's the best one with the "original" cast.

IIRC, Nemesis and First Contact are both "Next Generation" cast; First Contact was fun if it is the one I am thinking of (double checked, yeah, borg-timetravel-drunken-rocket-farmer, that's the one), but I wouldn't call them part of the "originals." ;)

As far as the 2009 version, setting aside the always polarizing "JJ Abrams style" discussion, I liked the performances and thought that the new cast did a great job capturing the essence of the characters while "rubbing a little style" on them (for lack of a better term) as well. Particularly Simon Pegg. ;) Pretty much worth watching for that. :lol:

Does it help to say I liked it enough, but it persuaded me to believe the others of that series weren't worth watching?

The others are different. It's similar to comparing the new James Bonds with the old ones. They're going to be dated in comparison, but you're not really going to be able to compare without seeing them. Though, you may be right.

Admitedly, I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember liking 5. It's certainly no worse (and to my tastes, way better) than 4. And 6 was where I just gave up on the films (until the new one, which I want to because my girlfriend is a big Trek fan). But I think we can all agree that 2 is an excellent film, and definitely worth watching.

I am also aware that my severe dislike of 4 is a minority opinion, but I'm cool with that. I believe that every film is worth watching at least once!

I didn't like the new Star Trek, cause of poor character introductions and development, but I also found the movie to be hugely overacted. A lot of fans have defended it by saying it's the in the spirit of the old show, but I found this movie to be just over board, but that's just me.

I LOOOOVED Abrahms' STAR TREK!! It's one of my top 10 favorite movies.

I'm a fan of the original Kirk, Spock, McCoy series. I still like seeing James T fighting with a guy in a lizard suit. What sucked me in about the new movie is that we get back to action - fighting, shooting, running from monsters. Kirk is a womanizer and not afraid to brawl, be out spoken and put it all on the line. There is a lot of character tension and confrontation - Kirk outwitting Spock being my favorite. The pacing of the movie is outstanding and is a great example of "drama is conflict," to the point that I keep it nearby as an example for my latest script.

Ironically, I didn't find the plot to be that great, but I was so sucked in by character conflict that it is almost secondary.

Anyone else think that this is an awesome trailer? The Two Steps From Hell music is just awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ETDE0VGJY4

Big TNG fan here. I really enjoyed the reboot. However, I went into it with very low expectations and decided not to watch it as a Trek film, but just as any other action film.

But yeah, just watch it and make up your own mind. Like others have said, if you hate it you can always turn it off.

A bit disappointing, really... But it was alright... I made the mistake of watching it with my wife, who felt the need to talk through it... She asked SOOOOOO MANY QUESTIONS.... I felt like I was on Jeopardy.... One question was "who plays Patrick Stewart's character?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

The 2009 star trek is among the largest cinema disasters known to mankind. This isn't Star Trek, it is just some film people decided to name Star Trek so it would make more cash.

Lol, it reminds me of the Star Wars prequels... it took too much focus on action... and JJ Abrams's sick obsession with purposely shaking the camera during an action scene, and his sick obsession with Lens flares... there's not much to respect about him... But he made an okay film, from what I was able to pay attention to.

Biggest complaint was, not enough space battles, and not enough Simon Pegg.

Back